Estimated retail value on screen

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

harrytumkins

Registered Shopper
I thought this had long been a no-no to even being mentioned on air?

Is the wording "retail value" a loophole/workaround or are Gems getting more and more desperate for the high-end sales

I just don’t think they care anymore. Just flicked on and I heard Lynn say “amethyst has great crystal healing properties”. Not I believe it does or some people suggest it does but it has healing properties. They’ll get away with it too as it doesn’t appear that they have stopped their other questionable practices.

I just don’t think they care anymore. Just flicked on and I heard Lynn say “amethyst has great crystal healing properties”. Not I believe it does or some people suggest it does but it has healing properties. They’ll get away with it too as it doesn’t appear that they have stopped their other questionable practices.
If Lynn can heal people with gemstones, then I suggest that she puts her claims to the test and cure people suffering from long term conditions and illnesses live on air.

Personally, I think that sort of thing is a complete load of guff. But if Gemporia is allowing its presenters to make any kind of outlandish claims they like on air, then I suggest that they back their crap up with action

And if they can't or won't do this, then I kindly suggest that they stop it with this utter bilge. It's crass and extremely tacky

I thought this had long been a no-no to even being mentioned on air?

Is the wording "retail value" a loophole/workaround or are Gems getting more and more desperate for the high-end sales
They do advertise that so many pieces per month are sent for independent valuation. So, are the pieces that they show on screen with the 'retail value' one of those independently valued items? If so they can then prove to whoever that that is the case as they will have the paperwork from their valuing company. Even so, it's not the right way to get people to buy, believing they're getting a bargain 'cos they only paid xx when it's actually valued at xxx.

If Lynn can heal people with gemstones, then I suggest that she puts her claims to the test and cure people suffering from long term conditions and illnesses live on air.

Personally, I think that sort of thing is a complete load of guff. But if Gemporia is allowing its presenters to make any kind of outlandish claims they like on air, then I suggest that they back their crap up with action

And if they can't or won't do this, then I kindly suggest that they stop it with this utter bilge. It's crass and extremely tacky

I am also surprised they continue with this. Whether Lynn believes this or not is not the point. For example on TJC Jenny obviously believes in crystals but always says "these are my beliefs I am not saying they will cure anything medical"

I do not think presenters should really have an opinion on something like that either way but at the very least they must use a disclaimer

I am also surprised they continue with this. Whether Lynn believes this or not is not the point. For example on TJC Jenny obviously believes in crystals but always says "these are my beliefs I am not saying they will cure anything medical"

I do not think presenters should really have an opinion on something like that either way but at the very least they must use a disclaimer

I have just watched Gems for 5 minutes and I am in disbelief about what Lynn has just said about feathers

It was so blatant I didn't believe what I heard so I checked and checked again and yep she said it

Amazing what a £9.99 feather necklace can cure.....

I have just watched Gems for 5 minutes and I am in disbelief about what Lynn has just said about feathers

It was so blatant I didn't believe what I heard so I checked and checked again and yep she said it

Amazing what a £9.99 feather necklace can cure.....

Do they have any gemstones than can cure financial issues? At the rate they're going, they could need some.

Personally, I think that sort of thing is a complete load of guff. But if Gemporia is allowing its presenters to make any kind of outlandish claims they like on air, then I

suggest that they back their crap up with action

Making claims that cannot be substantiated is immoral, in my book. If someone is going through a bad time in their life they will be vulnerable and it is cruel to present anything as 'fact' that implies, or categorically states, healing powers. It's long overdue for some of the so-called regulating bodies to take strong action against anyone who makes extravagant and unverified claims on TV - or other media. The penalties need to be punitive, especially if repeated - a slap on the wrist doesn't hack it.

So, I'm now allowed to mention this (the ASA gave me strict instruction to keep it confidential until Gemporia and the Press were informed).

I referred two complaints to the Advertising Standards Authority - both of which have been upheld.

Hopefully it will change some of the antics on Gemporia - but I suspect not (particularly as I've reported them in the past for their claims of "we're giving this away" - which they still say on occasions despite the ASA ordering them not to say it).

ASA Ruling - Upheld

I also reported them to Trading Standards for taking so long to refund customers. Trading Standards confirmed that refunds must be issued within 14 days. Although Trading Standards did not confirm to me whether they had taken action against Gemporia, I've noticed that my past few returns have been refunded - on the 14th day precisely - so I suspect they've had a warning there too.

Speechless.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-07-08-09-48-30-298.jpeg
    Screenshot_2023-07-08-09-48-30-298.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 103
London Gold Centre, online "Sell" calculator.

So, £49.99 + £3.95 P&P 😱

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-07-08-13-18-43-651.jpeg
    Screenshot_2023-07-08-13-18-43-651.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 99
London Gold Centre, online "Sell" calculator.

So, £49.99 + £3.95 P&P 😱
Gemporia only operates on the tiniest of margins, you know 😏

I bet presenters have a whole slew of dead relatives ready to name drop for when they're selling these, too 😇

So, I'm now allowed to mention this (the ASA gave me strict instruction to keep it confidential until Gemporia and the Press were informed).

I referred two complaints to the Advertising Standards Authority - both of which have been upheld.

Hopefully it will change some of the antics on Gemporia - but I suspect not (particularly as I've reported them in the past for their claims of "we're giving this away" - which they still say on occasions despite the ASA ordering them not to say it).

ASA Ruling - Upheld

I also reported them to Trading Standards for taking so long to refund customers. Trading Standards confirmed that refunds must be issued within 14 days. Although Trading Standards did not confirm to me whether they had taken action against Gemporia, I've noticed that my past few returns have been refunded - on the 14th day precisely - so I suspect they've had a warning there too.

Good work Man with no name

I am staggered by the arrogance of the Gemporia response, that tells you everything you need to know

Not even a hint that they may be doing this wrong or pushing the boundaries with valuations

The typical ASA response sadly but you can do no more

Latest posts

Back