Ex Ideal World Employee - Ask away! Anything

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for coming on here and answering questions TimeForTheTruth, I think you have acted professionally and displayed a significant amount of personal integrity by not denigrating Ideal World's staff and presenters. I have found all the background info very interesting.

Cheers :cool:

Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad somebody actually gets why I'm here. You couldn't have put it better. I want to "fill in the gaps" and provide background information. I'm not here to provide you with confidential secrets of ideal world or slag off the company, showing it and its staff in a negative light.

As the post above this also says. My industry of television is a very competitive one and this we fight hard for few jobs. I am not going to come and here and destroy my reputation.

A lot of people watch tv, not just shopping telly and wonder "how do they do that? What do they use? I wonder what presenters here in their ear". I wanted to help, not be part of a gossip session.
If anyone has anything interesting to ask which doesn't jeopardise my reputation as a worker in television, I will more than happily answer it :)

So, I am watching the Tefal POTD and would like to know

1 who pays/provides the food cooked in the cooking shows
2 what do they do with it all
3 why do the presenters (some more than others) act like they've never tasted anything like it before and yet we all know they said the same same thing the previous show.
4 who is the better cook, Joe or Paul

edited to ask is Chef Tony's blender any good, I notice it has come down half price and was wondering how come

So, I am watching the Tefal POTD and would like to know

1 who pays/provides the food cooked in the cooking shows
2 what do they do with it all
3 why do the presenters (some more than others) act like they've never tasted anything like it before and yet we all know they said the same same thing the previous show.
4 who is the better cook, Joe or Paul

edited to ask is Chef Tony's blender any good, I notice it has come down half price and was wondering how come

1: the food is paid for out of a budget for the show by ideal world. It is sourced at the local sainsburys to be precise.
2. Unfortunately the food is thrown out after each show. Before people shout at what a waste it is... It used to be given to a homeless shelter until they actually complained! Plus due to health and safety gone mad, the food can no longer be consumed after the show as it is deemed unsafe according to the shows risk assessment.
3. The presenters have to treat each show like no one has watched it before. They just put on the sell to make it look and taste good. But it normally does taste really good.
4. The food I have tasted has all just been the simple dishes churned out on ideal world with a halogen or actifry. I haven't tasted their proper food.

I personally wouldn't buy anything from the chef tony range.
Hope this helps? :)

The LiveFromTheUS programmes - were they from the US or from the studio? Wearing my HR hat now, are you expecting any repercussions from IW when they read these threads? Thank you for your sincerity and professionalism. AllTheBest in your NewJob! x Snarly

The LiveFromTheUS programmes - were they from the US or from the studio? Wearing my HR hat now, are you expecting any repercussions from IW when they read these threads? Thank you for your sincerity and professionalism. AllTheBest in your NewJob! x Snarly

Yes. This was another thing I forgot about. People claiming the USA stuff wasn't from the USA. It was. Ideal world actually won an award for the most innovative use if technology in a live tv show. However poor the output quality, the technical challenge was massive. The shows were directed and operated by directors and producers at the ideal world studios, but were filmed in America.

I am anonymous to HR from here. I don't believe I'm advertising ideal world in a negative light. I have done nothing but cure people's curiosity and prevent people thinking bad things about the company like thinking they lie about product demos etc.

Hi TimeForTheTruth,

Even after reading your many posts, I don't understand why an Ex? Employee would join a shopping telly forum purely to ask for questions about an organisation they no longer work for. I agree that many of the posts on the forum would be been speculation or lies, as you put it. But its not the norm for someone to join to 'explain' things and to go to such lengths doing so.

You answer the queries very professionally, more like a Marketing Manager. No offence meant, but it seems like a PR exercise to me, just don't buy it. If I am wrong, I apologise. I don't believe in the Easter Bunny either.

Hi TimeForTheTruth,

Even after reading your many posts, I don't understand why an Ex? Employee would join a shopping telly forum purely to ask for questions about an organisation they no longer work for. I agree that many of the posts on the forum would be been speculation or lies, as you put it. But its not the norm for someone to join to 'explain' things and to go to such lengths doing so.

You answer the queries very professionally, more like a Marketing Manager. No offence meant, but it seems like a PR exercise to me, just don't buy it. If I am wrong, I apologise. I don't believe in the Easter Bunny either.

Very cynical of you. But you're entitled to your own opinion. I came on here to have a quick browse and was just frustrated at all the false speculation. It's like being an accountant and going on a forum where someone is saying "I know for a fact that tax is a lie and none of us have to pay it". Maybe not the best example, but it's just un-true and a lot of what is said, to someone who knows, it's just rediculous. Like people saying Derek belcher uses a different easy start engine to demo with and the ones on the show aren't the same. It's just a false statement.

I really cared for Ellis, having watched her from the begining, to then have her leave without a 'bye or leave' was an insult to the loyal viewers and shoppers at Ideal. I dont belive this would have been Ellis choice to leave as she in her new job, often referes to the kind people who have followed her from another place' I think Ellis was treated badly and I get the feeling that Ellis was not wanted or valued by certain Ideal staff and a certain couple of presenters too.

Yes, I am cynical, no arguments there. If I am way off the mark, then I commend you for your loyalty and love of the company. I wish I felt like that about my previous employers.

Anyway all the posts are entertaining and interesting, fair play to you. If IW knew what you would be doing, they would have moved heaven and earth to keep you on board. x

Yes, I am cynical, no arguments there. If I am way off the mark, then I commend you for your loyalty and love of the company. I wish I felt like that about my previous employers.

Anyway all the posts are entertaining and interesting, fair play to you. If IW knew what you would be doing, they would have moved heaven and earth to keep you on board. x

I did love working for the company, but unfortunately it couldn't cater for my will to progress in the tv industry.
Thanks

I really cared for Ellis, having watched her from the begining, to then have her leave without a 'bye or leave' was an insult to the loyal viewers and shoppers at Ideal. I dont belive this would have been Ellis choice to leave as she in her new job, often referes to the kind people who have followed her from another place' I think Ellis was treated badly and I get the feeling that Ellis was not wanted or valued by certain Ideal staff and a certain couple of presenters too.

All speculation though - you don't actually know anything about it - and there is no way to know what a person is like without actually knowing them - how someone is on TV can be very different from what they are like off screen.

1: the food is paid for out of a budget for the show by ideal world. It is sourced at the local sainsburys to be precise.
2. Unfortunately the food is thrown out after each show. Before people shout at what a waste it is... It used to be given to a homeless shelter until they actually complained! Plus due to health and safety gone mad, the food can no longer be consumed after the show as it is deemed unsafe according to the shows risk assessment.
3. The presenters have to treat each show like no one has watched it before. They just put on the sell to make it look and taste good. But it normally does taste really good.
4. The food I have tasted has all just been the simple dishes churned out on ideal world with a halogen or actifry. I haven't tasted their proper food.

I personally wouldn't buy anything from the chef tony range.
Hope this helps? :)

Id have thought food would come from Tesco its less than 5 mins away from IW

I'm quite sad to hear about the high food wasteage, what on earth could a local homeless shelter have found to complain about, being given free nosh, ungrateful barstewards! No doubt QVC does the same then (I realise you have no knowledge of this of course!); I often wonder when I see some of their ginormous spreads all laid out what happens to all that perfectly good food.....I guess now I know! :sad:

I'm quite sad to hear about the high food wasteage, what on earth could a local homeless shelter have found to complain about, being given free nosh, ungrateful barstewards! No doubt QVC does the same then (I realise you have no knowledge of this of course!); I often wonder when I see some of their ginormous spreads all laid out what happens to all that perfectly good food.....I guess now I know! :sad:

It's an awful shame. Literally as soon as the menu is done showing what's coming up next , an ad break comes in and every single plate of food is thrown into a big bin. A shame, but yet another health and safety gone mad scenario.

It's an awful shame. Literally as soon as the menu is done showing what's coming up next , an ad break comes in and every single plate of food is thrown into a big bin. A shame, but yet another health and safety gone mad scenario.

What a waste, although it explains why they keep constantly picking at the food when on it's on air (apart from Martin in the last Chef Tony hour he couldn't chuck his spoon down quick enough :giggle: he was fooling no one when he tried to say how good it was.

I have found this whole post very interesting. I don't watch IW as much as I used to but one thing I never understand on IW or QVC is why sizes are not given out in clothing shows as soon as possible. When an item is going to be popular and you are left hanging there waiting for the sizes you very often miss out on the item. Sizes vary so much with different ranges and some presenters waffle on about total rubbish instead of telling us what we need to know.

I have found this whole post very interesting. I don't watch IW as much as I used to but one thing I never understand on IW or QVC is why sizes are not given out in clothing shows as soon as possible. When an item is going to be popular and you are left hanging there waiting for the sizes you very often miss out on the item. Sizes vary so much with different ranges and some presenters waffle on about total rubbish instead of telling us what we need to know.

There is no specific reason I know of. The shows format is created by somebody above and producers/directors/presenters just follow it. The generic fashion show format is, Item 1 shown with the presenter, Item 1 shown on the model/s, Item 1 shown with the presenter, size chart graphic. Item 2 on the model, item 2 with the presenter, size chart graphic, item 3 on the model, item 3 with the presenter, size chart graphic, and so on...

I hope this helps.

This is a real gripe of mine although I do think IW at least show a size chart eventually. Not IW I know but I ordered a OTO coat off QVC recently and after they had nealy sold out and the end of the presentation Glen proceeds to tell everyone that maybe for whatever the reason I can't remember you should size up, excuse me but that's the sort of infomation we need at the beginning not the end.:angry:

I have sent too much back to both IW & QVC (and if I am paying postage then one is too many) because there sizing is so out that I rarely buy clothes from either of them any more. I once bought a skirt which was about 1 1/2 " bigger than was stated on the QVC website and was told by CS that the sizing was only approximate LOL

Why is Paul Lavers doing voice overs for the pick of the days and not full time presenting? I find these announcements very annoying and have to press mute.

I agree, thank gawd for the mute button, but I would rather put up with the voice overs rather than seeing him as a regular presenter....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back