FlavorStone Pan Set TSV 05/09/13

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Hi. I received my pans today and you have to rub some oil in them and heat them until the oil starts to smoke then remove from the heat. Well I've done it to the two small ones but the large one has now been sat on the job for 20 mins on medium heat as it states and it will not smoke?
What am I doing wrong? Plus when you wipe them out afterwards when cool with kitchen roll I've got bits of the gold coating coming into the paper? Does anyone know if this is right as it didn't mention it in the instructions?
Would be hugely grateful for anyone's advice.:talking: thanks

Crikey you might as well be curing (or whatever the proper term is) a cast iron pan! I remember doing this with the first wok I owned (1980s), and from then on the idea was to not wash the pan with soap and water or the process would need repeating. I didn't know non-stick surfaces needed doing as well.

I think the gold was the most popular colour so hopefully someone will be along to answer your question VP.

How bizarre - I couldn't reply to this in Firefox so I had to use IE (urgh!)

So - I used my little saucepan last night and it doesn't balance on my hob - it's very top heavy - I caught the handle and (not so hot - luckily) liquid went everywhere. I'm so lucky it wasn't hot otherwise it would've been a trip to A&E - needless to say the pans are going back. Please beware.

Hi. I received my pans today and you have to rub some oil in them and heat them until the oil starts to smoke then remove from the heat. Well I've done it to the two small ones but the large one has now been sat on the job for 20 mins on medium heat as it states and it will not smoke?
What am I doing wrong? Plus when you wipe them out afterwards when cool with kitchen roll I've got bits of the gold coating coming into the paper? Does anyone know if this is right as it didn't mention it in the instructions?
Would be hugely grateful for anyone's advice.:talking: thanks

I went for the Try Me pan (thanks to Ian's link) as I didn't want whole set. I prepared it last night with the 'oil routine' and it did take longer than I thought it would before it began to smoke. When it had cooled I wiped the pan out and didn't get anything, other than oil, on the kitchen paper. I bought the black one, but I'd not expect any of the surface to come off on the paper, whatever the colour, so it may be worth ringing CS to find out if that should happen. I'd have thought they might have mentioned that you might see this happen if it was the norm.

Definitely worth asking CS to note this unexpected effect, and ask their advice. They'll probably only offer you the keep or return options, but if they have enough calls they may recall that batch (whether it's the all the colours or just the gold). Maybe try frying a slice of bread; you'll be able to see any transference of colour on to your food. I don't think I'd keep the pans if the coating continues to come off in your food. Hopefully it's just a residue from manufacturing and once that's off the pan will be okay.

Such a shame if they're faulty because the colours looks so nice.

Many thanks for the replies. I think after frying an egg in one tonight I am going to send them back. They seem to take an absolute age to heat up and I am not convinced the non stick is any better than any other non stick at with the cooks essentials etc at least you don't have to worry about using metal utensils on them.
The coating still seems to come off the largest one.
Shall be calling q to collect them.
Oh and plus one of the handles is wobbly on mine which I think is poor.
Thanks again.

The reviews are currently at 2.9 out of 5 (only 5 reviews) so I dont think you are alone in sending them back.

I REALLY wanted to get them, but when I measured my hob "rings" the large pan was FAR too big for it........and I am pretty sure my hob is average and not a Julia Roberts Extra Small :giggle:

Many thanks for the replies. I think after frying an egg in one tonight I am going to send them back. They seem to take an absolute age to heat up and I am not convinced the non stick is any better than any other non stick at with the cooks essentials etc at least you don't have to worry about using metal utensils on them.
Thanks again.

Is this the same as the Stoneline brand that QVC used to sell? I've got the griddle pan in this and it's excellent. Just black, grey and white, mind, no fancy colours, but it does the job perfectly and doesn't stick at all.

I was wondering the same, I bought a stone line pan a couple of years ago from lakeland after seeing them on qvc and it is the best pan I have ever had, I would like a smaller one but you can't seem to get them any more

Thanks again.

I thought they kept saying they would be quicker to heat up then normal pans.:thinking: I was tempted with the Try Me, but didn't buy in the end.

The reviews are currently at 2.9 out of 5 (only 5 reviews) so I dont think you are alone in sending them back.

I REALLY wanted to get them, but when I measured my hob "rings" the large pan was FAR too big for it........and I am pretty sure my hob is average and not a Julia Roberts Extra Small :giggle:

Julia Roberts extra small :happy: that made me laugh!
Yes the reviews arnt looking great. The large pan is huge and takes an age to heat up and all the instructions go on that you should only have it on a medium heat! Plus it says don't use olive oil....ive come away thinking their must be better non stick pans out there that you can use olive oil in, metal utensils and put it on a higher heat. Just feel these are too restrictive all round.
Plus the problems with mine as mentioned previously. Mine are on their way back to q!

I wonder whether they meant to say that on an induction hob the pans would heat up quickly. On my induction hob I can heat a large pan of cold water to boiling in less time than it takes to boil a lesser amount of water in my kettle. But if I used the same pan on my old gas hob it'd take ages. Sounds like another QVC turkey!

I have an electronic hob and compared to my old pans they seem to take a while to get going. I think the presenter on these was quite misleading. .. he also said they were lightweight but they are not lightweight at all. Even my husband said they are heavy pans.
I sound like a right moaner but I'm just not impressed at all.
The best thing about them is the good colour, they do look lovely and expensive.

Well I phone QVC and told them about my near-scalding incident - they have collected the pans but I BET I have to phone to get my original p+p back. I told them the saucepan had a fundamental design flaw - I mean, who in their right mind would make a pan top heavy?
PS - I agree, they are heavy!

Latest posts

Back