Gemporia still sinking

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Welcome! Everything you've raised are things that we've all raised too at some point or another.

In my opinion, Gems TV, Gem Collector and Jewellery Maker are all clinging on for their lives.

JM used to be the go-to place for good quality, well priced, gem strands and cabochons. Those days are long gone.

Gems TV used to be the place for decent quality jewellery, with unusual gemstones, at good prices. Those days are long gone.

Gem Collector used to be the place for decent quality stones, at decent prices. Those days are also long gone.

All three of those channels have been watered down to the point where they're unrecognisable to their glory days.

I genuinely believe that for those channels to survive, they need new ownership. The current owners don't seem to know how to turn the channels around - and they're ignoring concerns that HUNDREDS of viewers are complaining about. If you ignore your key customers, and drive them away, you're left with serious problems.

Take JM for example. When it was under Gemporia ownership first time around, they sold a good business. Immediate Media ruined it by bringing in synthetic stones, plastic and glass beads, and general cheap tat. The prices increased. Postage prices increased and moved to a slower, poorer quality delivery service (Whistl). Packing was poor and orders would regularly be received damaged. Inevitably, it lost customers and struggled. Immediate Media sold it back to Gemporia.

Now, all Gemporia had to to was reverse the changes that Immediate Media had made - and revert back to the 'old' Jewellery Maker. Did Gemporia do that? No. They kept JM almost as it was under Immediate Media - but made the problems even WORSE! The tat remained, prices continued to go up, they started flogging Primal products on a jewellery making channel, and it got invaded by Troth and Jake - taking their boring waffling presentations over to JM as well as Gems TV. Like Gems TV, it also got taken over by Jadeite galore. I didn't think it could get any worse than it was under Immediate Media. How wrong I was! Add to that, JM has THE worst, most unprofessional TV "presenter" ever in Carol Roache. That woman is beyond hideous.

If Gemporia survive their money problems as a business, I can't see JM continuing as a channel long term. Everything is overpriced and can be obtained elsewhere for far cheaper, with next day delivery rather than the week or so it takes for JM stuff to arrive. They don't have a USP any more.

Gem Collector has no variety, the prices have shot up to ridiculous levels, they don't even have 'entry level' stones for newbies, and what was a relaxed informal channel has now turned into hard sell and waffle. It is no longer enjoyable to watch.

As for Gems TV. They no longer have a USP either. The quality of their jewellery has declined rapidly. Their prices have risen rapidly. In addition, their approach to the cost of living crisis has been completely back to front. At a time where people are being more savvy with their shopping, with little disposable income and looking for bargains, Gemporia have hiked their prices and offered a lower quality product. Those two things are incompatible - and this will be their demise.

I think if Gemporia is to survive long term, it needs new owners to bring in new ideas. It's been stale for a good few years now - and there doesn't seem to be any sign of change or improvement.

Steve Bennett told us, exactly one year ago, that he recognised that there were some issues and he was going to make some changes. NOT ONE THING has changed for the better since he made that statement a year ago other than speedier refunds. Every other problems that was there under Colin Wagstaffe, remains now under the Bennetts.
If anything it’s worse!

I mentioned this once before but I will say it again that Gemporia’s marketing strategy is aimed at the Lowest Common Denominator. By this I mean people who actually believe what the presenters are telling them. And there are thousands of people out there with enormous collections of silver and gold jewellery set with mediocre grade gems. Many of these buyers believe that they’re curating wonderfully valuable pieces for their grandchildren eg when in fact the jewellery is of low value in general.If someone buys a piece of jewellery that they then get to wear and love for years then it was worth it and that’s what it’s all about. I have no problem with 9 carat gold being set with I2 grade diamonds but in no way are they investment worthy as Gemporia would lead you to believe. Just like making a big deal out of diamond origin which has no effect on value is nothing but hype on their part.

Ratners on TV (Tatners?)

Lynn was regaling us this morning with a story about her daughter. Apparently she went to school earlier in the week and she had taken one of her rings with her (which is against school rules according to Lynn).
Anyway, to cut a long story short, it turns out it was a ring from the Midas range (cheap in other words) but when the teacher rang Lynn to inform her of these extremely serious rule breaches that had been committed by her daughter, it transpires that the teacher had locked the ring in the school vault because they had assumed that it was very, very valuable.
Oh how we all sighed with relief when Lynn told us that this just proves that Gemporia jewellery always looks worth more than it actually was and I’ll be truthful, if I didn’t trust Lynn 100%, I might start to think that this story was a pile of bull$hit, but it’s okay, I know that she’d never lie to us all, especially since she’s only got a couple of shifts left with Gems according to her.
Love it! Has Lynn thought of turning her account of events into a film, I wonder? Stephen Spielberg, eat your heart out! And of course it was very valuable - especially if it's the one, the only (drum roll)....gold tone!!!

The sagas go from unbelievable to completely unbelievable in the flip of a coin.

I mentioned this once before but I will say it again that Gemporia’s marketing strategy is aimed at the Lowest Common Denominator. By this I mean people who actually believe what the presenters are telling them. And there are thousands of people out there with enormous collections of silver and gold jewellery set with mediocre grade gems. Many of these buyers believe that they’re curating wonderfully valuable pieces for their grandchildren eg when in fact the jewellery is of low value in general.If someone buys a piece of jewellery that they then get to wear and love for years then it was worth it and that’s what it’s all about. I have no problem with 9 carat gold being set with I2 grade diamonds but in no way are they investment worthy as Gemporia would lead you to believe. Just like making a big deal out of diamond origin which has no effect on value is nothing but hype on their part.
I couldn’t agree more. Was watching gems the other evening and it occurred to me that their sales spiel now has nothing to do with having something pretty to wear and enjoy and all to do with “investment” prospects. I think there’s a place in jewellery collections for all sorts of items from the occasional expensive item to cheap but pretty items. It’s all fine by me as long as I know I’m not being charged for something it’s not. I’ve seen people being advised many times that jewellery from jewellers should never be looked on as an investment. It’s really putting me off watching now to see them trying to scam people into buying items they may not even be able to afford easily. I think they are now aiming some of their marketing at older and maybe vulnerable people who may not even be on internet to compare prices. Despicable.

Yet again they’re hyping up the fact that the brown diamonds are from the Argyle mine as if that matters. She’s just said that they are legacy grade multiple times. The brown diamonds from there are no different to those from South Africa no matter what you call them, cognac or champagne or lol, fire diamonds.Nothing the matter with them if you’re looking for a pretty ring but that’s it.

And here we go again with the hype for another tourmaline, indicolite this time. The same speil as ever and non stop talking from Toby. He could do this in his sleep he’s that slick by now after years of practice. I find him incredibly insincere.It’s ALL hard sell and hyperbole.And after all the hot air they look exactly like the last lot.
If you don't already know, I'm new (yesterday) here, but regarding Toby, I used to like him, but the more I hear him in selling mode, it always reminds me of the old 'snake oil' salesman. So much verbal you get lost in it and end up buying sand whilst on the beach where it's free.

I can't watch Gemporia any more. It's not entertaining, and watching misleading cash grab after cash grab just makes me angry.

I feel very, very sorry for anyone who thinks that they're getting real deals, never mind that they're buying items that will accrue in value over time.
And, although I watch it still, one thing that bugs me is the up-selling. At this price buy two or three..... They stack together well..... and so on.

Welcome! Everything you've raised are things that we've all raised too at some point or another.

In my opinion, Gems TV, Gem Collector and Jewellery Maker are all clinging on for their lives.

JM used to be the go-to place for good quality, well priced, gem strands and cabochons. Those days are long gone.

Gems TV used to be the place for decent quality jewellery, with unusual gemstones, at good prices. Those days are long gone.

Gem Collector used to be the place for decent quality stones, at decent prices. Those days are also long gone.

All three of those channels have been watered down to the point where they're unrecognisable to their glory days.

I genuinely believe that for those channels to survive, they need new ownership. The current owners don't seem to know how to turn the channels around - and they're ignoring concerns that HUNDREDS of viewers are complaining about. If you ignore your key customers, and drive them away, you're left with serious problems.

Take JM for example. When it was under Gemporia ownership first time around, they sold a good business. Immediate Media ruined it by bringing in synthetic stones, plastic and glass beads, and general cheap tat. The prices increased. Postage prices increased and moved to a slower, poorer quality delivery service (Whistl). Packing was poor and orders would regularly be received damaged. Inevitably, it lost customers and struggled. Immediate Media sold it back to Gemporia.

Now, all Gemporia had to to was reverse the changes that Immediate Media had made - and revert back to the 'old' Jewellery Maker. Did Gemporia do that? No. They kept JM almost as it was under Immediate Media - but made the problems even WORSE! The tat remained, prices continued to go up, they started flogging Primal products on a jewellery making channel, and it got invaded by Troth and Jake - taking their boring waffling presentations over to JM as well as Gems TV. Like Gems TV, it also got taken over by Jadeite galore. I didn't think it could get any worse than it was under Immediate Media. How wrong I was! Add to that, JM has THE worst, most unprofessional TV "presenter" ever in Carol Roache. That woman is beyond hideous.

If Gemporia survive their money problems as a business, I can't see JM continuing as a channel long term. Everything is overpriced and can be obtained elsewhere for far cheaper, with next day delivery rather than the week or so it takes for JM stuff to arrive. They don't have a USP any more.

Gem Collector has no variety, the prices have shot up to ridiculous levels, they don't even have 'entry level' stones for newbies, and what was a relaxed informal channel has now turned into hard sell and waffle. It is no longer enjoyable to watch.

As for Gems TV. They no longer have a USP either. The quality of their jewellery has declined rapidly. Their prices have risen rapidly. In addition, their approach to the cost of living crisis has been completely back to front. At a time where people are being more savvy with their shopping, with little disposable income and looking for bargains, Gemporia have hiked their prices and offered a lower quality product. Those two things are incompatible - and this will be their demise.

I think if Gemporia is to survive long term, it needs new owners to bring in new ideas. It's been stale for a good few years now - and there doesn't seem to be any sign of change or improvement.

Steve Bennett told us, exactly one year ago, that he recognised that there were some issues and he was going to make some changes. NOT ONE THING has changed for the better since he made that statement a year ago other than speedier refunds. Every other problems that was there under Colin Wagstaffe, remains now under the Bennetts.
I also think outside of the sale of JM, the Immediate Media version (if there were others?) When I went almost a year without buying from JM, due to poor postage etc, but I digress. Outside of that sale, Gems started to go downhill when they became a 'department store': not just gems and jewellery but clothes and candles and...... and..... Yes, Gem Auras was good in that it still had gems / minerals, so it was an association, but too many pies for too little fingers. I think that works. And, as an after thought, what does it say when Steve's own sister quits selling her wares on Gemporia? After all, she's family.

Have they ever mentioned that Chicken-Blood Stone is a bit dangerous? It contains cinnabar: mercury sulfide. Chicken-Blood Stone reaches only 3 on the Mohs scale of hardness. This gemstone is easy to crumble and thus it can be accidentally absorbed by humans.
I have this terrible habit of 'wanting' not so known stones, so seeing this comment makes me more wary, thanks. Any stone, to the best of my very limited knowledge on the low-end of the Mohs scale is not really jewellery-worthy. And if it's possibly dangerous too, best not wear it, warnings or otherwise.

I have this terrible habit of 'wanting' not so known stones, so seeing this comment makes me more wary, thanks. Any stone, to the best of my very limited knowledge on the low-end of the Mohs scale is not really jewellery-worthy. And if it's possibly dangerous too, best not wear it, warnings or otherwise.
Another dangerous stone is Bumblebee/Mustard "Jasper".

"One of the Mindat users posted an ICP-MS result for a test of the material, which had a 12000mg per kilogram Arsenic level; the lethal level in humans is 140-1400mg. Obviously, you aren’t going to be eating it – but dust, skin contact… what if a child puts a tumblestone in their mouth? What about the people who cut and polished it?"

source: https://albionfireandice.co.uk/dangerous-minerals-bumblebee-jasper/

Another dangerous stone is Bumblebee/Mustard "Jasper".

"One of the Mindat users posted an ICP-MS result for a test of the material, which had a 12000mg per kilogram Arsenic level; the lethal level in humans is 140-1400mg. Obviously, you aren’t going to be eating it – but dust, skin contact… what if a child puts a tumblestone in their mouth? What about the people who cut and polished it?"

source: https://albionfireandice.co.uk/dangerous-minerals-bumblebee-jasper/
I have that. From one of my earlier visits on JM. Done nothing with it, and now I'm glad I didn't. (I used to make jewellery for no real reason :p )

Unfortunately, there are people who make "crystal potions" for esoteric purposes. They should know what they use... For example, malachite (rich in copper) is soluble in water. This gemstone is also dangerous when you absorb its dust.

Unfortunately, there are people who make "crystal potions" for esoteric purposes. They should know what they use... For example, malachite (rich in copper) is soluble in water. This gemstone is also dangerous when you absorb its dust.
I don't doubt more stones / minerals (probably gemstones are not so) are dangerous. BUT, surely there must be some guidelines as to what can be put into jewellery. Like putting asbestos in a pendant. I know that's stupid, but you get the idea.

Just a receipt then, FFS.

Backed out in the end. It was the last one in stock, was cheaper than the same on GC and appeared to attract a discount code because it was the last one in stock. I was an idiot - the discount only applied to single items curated by JM, not all 🙄.

I see Gemporia has a new "**** off, pay the full price you cheapskate" feature now 😁:

View attachment 27997
I must be that cheapskate, as a couple of things I had my eye on have this now on them. Ah well, their loss, as I can live without them.

Actually, tiger's eye contains some asbestos. But it's dangerous only in the rough form. Well-polished specimens are completely safe to touch and wear.
You are very informative. If you haven't already, maybe you should make a post of 'dangerous' stones as a sub-section of a jewellery seller forum. NOT joking or being rude.

Like putting asbestos in a pendant. I know that's stupid, but you get the idea.

I think you said that in jest - but a lot of people buy gemstones for their beauty and don't know much about them.

Gem Collector have a stone called 'Orpiment' (they spell it, incorrectly, as 'Orphiment').

Orpiment IS asbestos!

Gem Collector sell it in faceted form - meaning some people that like the look of it could set it into a ring or pendant, not knowing that they're setting asbestos.

It's surprising how many toxic stones there are out there (many are safe though until they're ingested as dust).

Galena
Cinnabar
Malachite
Chalcopyrite
Chrysocolla

The most they're likely to do to a human is cause a bit of stomach upset - but if someone was to handle them and then play with one of their pets, etc, then they could potentially be fatal to an animal - particularly Cinnabar or Galena.

Latest posts

Back