Guess who i've seen today ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Went to a large(ish) craft fair at Hatfield House today.

Blow me down, first of all there was Jayney (slim'n'lift) selling Sarongs - with how to wear instructions, and a few pairs of summer flip flops. Clearly 'stuff' that was bought from a warehouse, together with boxes of scarf rings to hold said Sarong together. She had a lot of interest around the stall, but mainly from middle aged ladies (whom I think, one Sarong would not be enough ) but who had recognised her from Q.

Then in another tent, I saw RENY MARTIN ! older Q viewers would remember her from years ago when she aimed at the more mature lady with her range of fashion. I say 'mature', and I'm clearly in that age range now, but I wouldn't wear pleated skirts, or jumpers in port wine with shoulder embroidery . Reny herself has lost an awful lot of weight from her plumper days on the tele. Not much interest in her stall though. I wonder who does buy that range of clothing now, as those that would, like my Mum are well into their 80's and 90's. Those of us that were teens in the 60's are now coming up to 70 and this is where the problem in fashion lies, we don't want to be like our Mums in the Edinburgh Woollen Mills clothing, but equally we don't want to look ridiculous in too tight, too large, too short designs either.

My mother in law bought me an Edinburgh Woollen Mill blouse for my birthday last year (4 sizes too big!).
I was horrified :mysmilie_466:

Wow I'm amazed she's still going. It's a bit sad to hear she's doing the rounds of fairs but not selling much. But the flip side is she's at least she's still able to! She should come and sell in Worthing, even Top Shop sells fawn cardigans here! It's like 50 shades of Greige on market day!

I love these "where are they now" threads!

Wear what you feel best in Akimbo, classic or shabby chic it really doesn't matter. At the end of the day, just 'cos there may be snow on the roof it don't mean the fires gone out. :wink:

I remember Reny Martin. I would never have worn her clothes either then or now, but I used to love watching her shows. A proper lady I would say selling proper ladies' clothes. All looked very good quality and I don't remember there being any of that stretchy fabric we get now in Kim and Renee's styles. Things change I suppose. I once saw that awful Moira C selling scarves at the Gardening Scotland show one year. Whhhoooah, pusheeeeeee woman!!

CC

I remember the name Reny Martin but can't say I remember the fashion...I take it Jayney didn't have her Poppy (poor girl) standing about half naked.:mysmilie_17:

I remember the name Reny Martin but can't say I remember the fashion...I take it Jayney didn't have her Poppy (poor girl) standing about half naked.:mysmilie_17:

No, Jayney was on her own, but the poor girl does suffer with badly scarred skin which was covered with a lot of make-up.

Reny Martin was a grey curly haired lady (a bit similar to Denise that used to be on with Richard & Judy), and like I said before, her fashion was very much 'granny' jumpers and blouses, and sometimes with matching skirts, usually pleated, in creams, wines and teals, with a few yellow and black prints from what I can remember. The designs were a bit like the early days of Bob Mackey.

I'd completely forgotten Reny Martin. Her clothes were very staid but good quality - a bit like Jacques Vert but more for daytime. Not for dedicated followers of fashion but fine to rely on year in year out for older ladies with a few bob to spend. She must be knocking on a bit now but glad she's still trading.

I've seen Janey doing something similar at quite a few Gardeners' World Live and BBC Good Food Live events over the years. And am pretty sure I've seen the lady (Moira C) who sells scarfy things on Ideal World too!

Has anyone seen the Stylee lady recently: always a rather solemn face, long brown hair creating multiple up dos against a minute on the clock? I still have a couple for those days when my hair needs washing, or kept out of the way or when my face needs an instant face lift - :mysmilie_59: Did she go to Ideal World after QVC, before disappearing? There's still a website http://www.stylee.com/ but other than standing on the combs they're pretty indestructible so I probably won't need to buy more, maybe that's a reason behind her leaving TV selling?

Moira C is on IW yep and you are quite right, stylee woman did indeed go to IW before departing the shopping telly world. They do sell stylees on Ebay though, I love them, but still too expensive if you ask me :(

Latest posts

Back