Hairdo - hair pieces

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

iloveshopping

Registered Shopper
I have a couple of hair pieces like the Hairado but not from QVC and they are looking very dry and tangled. I have washed them in shampoo but not much improvement.
Are the Hairado ones on QVC better lasting?
Any suggestions how to restore my current ones? I think fabric conditioner may be good but I don't have any. I tried WEN but that didn't help.

Hello iloveshopping

As the hairdo pieces are all synthetic as far as I know any products for human hair will do them no good. You need synthetic wig shampoo, you can buy this on line or in a wig shop. You're right use fabric conditioner after as a 'hair conditioner'. If they are tangled gently brush the nots out before washing. then wash in the basin or a bowl with luke warm water ( they are not heat resistant so no hot water) put a little of the synthetic wig shampoo in the water and just swish the piece around gently do not rub in like washing your own hair as it will tangle. Rinse out thoroughly the repeat the process with a little fabric conditioner in fresh water and rinse thoroughly again. leave to drip dry in the air no heat. Do not brush out till completely dry. finish with a spritz of wig spray. Good luck!

Thought she looked like Delia Smith in the shorter one! And yes she did suit the fringe. sorry can't offer any help on the wig front but sounds like you got it covered above!

Since the demise of the sit up channels, I've been watching more Ideal World and QVC. QVC's on in the background and Kathy Tayler came on to introduce an item coming up, and I was shocked, she had this "alarming wig on", having not seen her for ages, I thought perhaps she'd been ill and is now a necessity wearer, then I thought...Mmmm perhaps there's a wig show on, I really hope so. I was relieved to see, that indeed there's a wig show on and Kathy's alright....but it looked so fake and unnatural!

I believe the advice for washing the hairpieces is to gently swish it in cold water with a little ordinary shampoo ("your favourite" is what they advise) then allow it to dry naturally.

Thanks for the advice on the washing of hairpieces. Trouble is that I did wash and swish it around in cold water but it still looks manky. I feel that I haven't had the use from it that I should have had. It went frizzy even before I washed it. I am looking for something that will recondition it. I've tried googling recondition hairpiece or wig but not getting anything different to try.

I was going to post yesterday to ask if Ken Paves was still associated with this brand and, if he was, why he never appeared on Q anymore.

Guess this is why...

IMG_123382532347520.jpg

He appears to be VB's personal stylist/bff (or whatever) now.

His name seems to have been disassociated from the pieces. Anyone got any info on this? I note the reviews are still thanking Ken...

I have a couple of hair pieces like the Hairado but not from QVC and they are looking very dry and tangled. I have washed them in shampoo but not much improvement.
Are the Hairado ones on QVC better lasting?
Any suggestions how to restore my current ones? I think fabric conditioner may be good but I don't have any. I tried WEN but that didn't help.

ok here goes - brace yourself
All methods have been tried and tested by moi all successful. (on synthetic units (wigs) only)

Firstly it depends how matted and dull they have become. If the hair is mildy mangled (comb goes through but with resistance) fill a bowl of warm water and add a lidfull of 2 in 1 non-bio Daz liquid or similar, whilst under foamy water give a little comb, dont rinse too much, hang to dry. Next day, give a shake and a little comb and the style should spring back ok. If still a bit fuzzy, set with heated rollers, leave rollers in cooling overnight. Viola! A shiny do again next day.

If it is like a birds nest.. don't bin.

Hang it up, get a hand held steamer with a little wide attachment to spread the steam, and on the ratty bits carefully steam directly on hair, and comb at the same time - best to do this on a polyhead NEVER whilst on your head

Dont be tempted to use an iron with steam or a straightener/tong - synthetic wig will melt, but it doesn't with pure steam

If wig looks too shiny and fake, buy some dry shampoo & spray over it (such as Batiste) gets rid of that fake look shimmer and smells nice too!

p.s. if their are bits beyond rescue - try snipping them out, usually wigs are much fuller than natural human density, so a bit here and there trimmed is not usually noticable - and of course if you are happy losing an inch or two, give it a full trim (because the ends and back of neck are usually the areas to go fuzzy first)

The above has been tested on all 100% synthetic only wigs (not human, mixed human, or otherwise)

Last edited:
I believe the advice for washing the hairpieces is to gently swish it in cold water with a little ordinary shampoo ("your favourite" is what they advise) then allow it to dry naturally.

Of course this is marvellous advice from them, because they know it causes a short life to the wig, therefore encouraging the client to buy new. :mysmilie_11:

When I had my wig when on chemo I had a special shampoo and conditioner from the wig shop but it was expensive. Came out fine every time. I just gave it quick swish with the shampoo in water and the rinsed it and conditioned it the same way. Left it to dry overnight. Really think depends on the quality of the synthetic hair though.

I was going to post yesterday to ask if Ken Paves was still associated with this brand and, if he was, why he never appeared on Q anymore.

Guess this is why...

View attachment 10639

He appears to be VB's personal stylist/bff (or whatever) now.

His name seems to have been disassociated from the pieces. Anyone got any info on this? I note the reviews are still thanking Ken...

Yes it was bliddy chaos in Manchester that day when VB and co arrived (nothing against her, I quite like her), but the hoards of people getting in the way of me and my shopping, how dare they! :mysmilie_10: :mysmilie_17:

I've bought the clip on one from yesterday in the hope that as it needs less handling than the scrunchy it will last better
http://www.qvcuk.com/Hairdo-by-HAIRUWEAR-8"-Curly-Pony-with-Claw-Clip.product.400725.html?upsh=1

Thanks for the advice on the washing of hairpieces. Trouble is that I did wash and swish it around in cold water but it still looks manky. I feel that I haven't had the use from it that I should have had. It went frizzy even before I washed it. I am looking for something that will recondition it. I've tried googling recondition hairpiece or wig but not getting anything different to try.

You weren't washing the cat instead were you ??? sorry, but when I read your post I had to chuckle - it reminded of the ad where the vet thinks the cat has died, and he's examining a woolly hat instead.
Best of luck anyway.

I've bought the clip on one from yesterday in the hope that as it needs less handling than the scrunchy it will last better
http://www.qvcuk.com/Hairdo-by-HAIRUWEAR-8"-Curly-Pony-with-Claw-Clip.product.400725.html?upsh=1

That looks pretty! Hope you enjoy wearing it and it doesn't fuzz up too soon!

I bought the crocodile clip pony but it wouldn't touch my scalp at all - my real hair was too thick so the clip just dangled off my real hair. I also bought the feathercut wig but it was far too small for my head and wouldn't go on even with mega stretch and tab adjustment. I wish they would give the precise head circumference measurements on their wigs, and not just say it fits most people. Even EBay cheap wigs give a size in inches and explain how to measure. My hair is much thinner now after a period of illness so I'm thinking of trying the crocodile clip one again, or maybe the style-a-do.

I bought the crocodile clip pony but it wouldn't touch my scalp at all - my real hair was too thick so the clip just dangled off my real hair. I also bought the feathercut wig but it was far too small for my head and wouldn't go on even with mega stretch and tab adjustment. I wish they would give the precise head circumference measurements on their wigs, and not just say it fits most people. Even EBay cheap wigs give a size in inches and explain how to measure. My hair is much thinner now after a period of illness so I'm thinking of trying the crocodile clip one again, or maybe the style-a-do.

Apparently there is a technique for the crocodile clip for those with thick hair whereby the hair is divided into 2 ponytails. You might have to Google it.

Mine was a failure as the box said 'ginger blonde/medium blonde'. I wish they had put that into the online description so it is going back. I checked by reading reviews of another product today and the light blonde is reddish too so not for me as I prefer to dye my hair more in the ash blondes.

Latest posts

Back