I’m shocked at these alliums !

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I love aquilegias. They seed all over the place in my garden Buy half a dozen, different colours, & you'll have them forever. They self seed & the new variations they throw up can be amazing.
Now a real funny, odd, story for you. I’ve always grown poppies but tried for years to grow Welsh poppies. They never seemed to take in my peaty garden, high up on the moors, no matter how I tried. Then a good few years ago one of my dogs died, a really special one, she’d been my constant shadow far more than any other. She died in spring & I buried her in the garden, far end under the old apple trees, bit of an orchard where all my others were buried. That summer one lone Welsh poppy appeared on her grave. Since then I’ve never been without them, they pop up in random places all over the place. I would understand if you find this hard to believe, but I swear it’s true. My husband says no body would believe it, it’s just SO incredible. To me it was a message.

I love aquilegias. They seed all over the place in my garden Buy half a dozen, different colours, & you'll have them forever. They self seed & the new variations they throw up can be amazing.
Now a real funny, odd, story for you. I’ve always grown poppies but tried for years to grow Welsh poppies. They never seemed to take in my peaty garden, high up on the moors, no matter how I tried. Then a good few years ago one of my dogs died, a really special one, she’d been my constant shadow far more than any other. She died in spring & I buried her in the garden, far end under the old apple trees, bit of an orchard where all my others were buried. That summer one lone Welsh poppy appeared on her grave. Since then I’ve never been without them, they pop up in random places all over the place. I would understand if you find this hard to believe, but I swear it’s true. My husband says no body would believe it, it’s just SO incredible. To me it was a message.
I have lots of Aquilegias but my favourites are a pure white one and one that has multi coloured flowers. I saved seeds and hubby planted them earlier this year. We put the trays out to harden them off and the birds have had nearly half of them. Ungrateful when they are fed and watered.🤣🤣 We've suddenly had Welsh poppies appear under our conifer hedge and we've never had them before either.

Out of a full packet of seeds I only managed 1 single Aquilegia!

I think with poppies (in general) they can lie dormant for years and often it’s when the soil is disturbed it nudges them into life. I think that is what happened on the battle fields at Flanders.

Trying to do a jubilee theme this year in the front garden. Planted white trailing Bacopa, Red Surfinia Petunias and dark blue trailing lobelia that I did from seed. Have thousands of them every seed germinated. Bought from WILKO 49p a pack.

We had a shocking hail storm yesterday so lots of my annuals are looking very sorry but hopefully they will be ok.

I love Bacopa was it easy to do Boffy?

Trying to do a jubilee theme this year in the front garden. Planted white trailing Bacopa, Red Surfinia Petunias and dark blue trailing lobelia that I did from seed. Have thousands of them every seed germinated. Bought from WILKO 49p a pack.
We get most of our seeds from Wilko never had a problem.
Saved tomato seeds and last year the crop was lovely so have done it again this year and so far they are doing well.
Trying the same with a Galia melon seed.

I agree about Aldi & Lidl, had some lovely plants & their seeds are cheap but always grow
In our local branches of both, you have to get there before they are snapped up. Any left soon die because they aren’t watered.

They don’t seem to arrive on a particular day either so it’s hit or miss.

We get most of our seeds from Wilko never had a problem.
Saved tomato seeds and last year the crop was lovely so have done it again this year and so far they are doing well.
Trying the same with a Galia melon seed.
Well done Patsy. I think its a good idea to try growing some food crops. I am good with flowers been growing stuff for decades. Never really ventured into crops but I have some seeds from Wilko.

Latest posts

Back