I give in.......

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Memetics is the study of information and culture based on an analogy with Darwinian evolution. Proponents describe memetics as an approach to evolutionary models of cultural information transfer. Memetics describes how an idea can propagate successfully, but doesn't necessarily imply a concept is factual.

And that means ......... what ?

I don't understand what a 'meme' is

If 'hack' means idea then why the f... not say idea !

And don't get me started on 'sick' for great / cool /brilliant. Just use vomit !

Another one I hear a lot of is seque - as opposed to the Segway company . a segue (pronounced segway) is a smooth transition. When you segue in conversation, you change the topic so smoothly that people might not even notice. A good speaker knows how to segue: they can get from one topic to another so easily that you hardly notice the topic changed.

And that means ......... what ?

I don't understand what a 'meme' is

If 'hack' means idea then why the f... not say idea !

And don't get me started on 'sick' for great / cool /brilliant. Just use vomit !

Another one I hear a lot of is seque - as opposed to the Segway company . a segue (pronounced segway) is a smooth transition. When you segue in conversation, you change the topic so smoothly that people might not even notice. A good speaker knows how to segue: they can get from one topic to another so easily that you hardly notice the topic changed.

Definitely clear as mud Brissles. I thought meme was from memento! :unsure::ROFLMAO:🤪

Borrowed from Italian segue (“it follows”), from seguire (“to follow”), from Latin sequor; originally a term used in a musical score to indicate that the next movement or passage is to follow without a break.

segue and Segway being homophones, different meaning, different spelling but same pronunciation.

Oooh thought of another one - “cheeky “ Cheeky Nando’s, cheeky red (wine), cheeky bonus, which leads me onto Alex Scott (TV’s latest darling) . If anyone’s familiar with the tv quiz show The Tournament you’ll know what I’m talking about , as well as her penchant for cheeky bonuses, each time she says “congraDulations “ (and it’s a lot) I literally want to smash the telly!

What the hell is a "HACK" ???? another Americanism ????

"tell us your Christmas hack and win a £1000 worth of goods"

The only 'hack' I know, is when someone tries to infiltrate my computer !!!!

FGS, can't we just talk plain English ?
I assume its where you discover something that few other people know, like using shaving foam to clean furniture, or a good idea or shortcut that saves time. I kind of understand what they mean, but struggle to define it. And yes, hack can have another more serious meaning, it's not a good thing when it happens to your computer!

English can and will evolve. Languages that don't die out. We get useful new words by borrowing shamelessly from other languages, and we also get useful new words from other anglophone countries. In my line of work we get excellent new words from India, which are more concise and meaningful than what we had previously.
Words also die out as well. I haven't called a disreputable person a 'nithing' for years🤣 (just Googled a list of archaic words, I'm gonna start using that one!).

Oooh thought of another one - “cheeky “ Cheeky Nando’s, cheeky red (wine), cheeky bonus, which leads me onto Alex Scott (TV’s latest darling) . If anyone’s familiar with the tv quiz show The Tournament you’ll know what I’m talking about , as well as her penchant for cheeky bonuses, each time she says “congraDulations “ (and it’s a lot) I literally want to smash the telly!
Her diction is so annoying I just can’t watch her plus she isn’t the sharpest pencil in the box.

I get ped off with “I was quoted £1000 to tile my bathroom/landscape my garden and I did it myself for £2 “. The quote would have been for marble tiles and they used sticky back plastic so totally comparable!

I assume its where you discover something that few other people know, like using shaving foam to clean furniture, or a good idea or shortcut that saves time. I kind of understand what they mean, but struggle to define it. And yes, hack can have another more serious meaning, it's not a good thing when it happens to your computer!

Words also die out as well. I haven't called a disreputable person a 'nithing' for years🤣 (just Googled a list of archaic words, I'm gonna start using that one!).
It's like local dialects and words that are peculiar to certain areas that are going out of use.

The same people would say 'dove' as in 'he dove into the swimming pool'.
Eh???? They are out there, people!

There are a few 'Suede Bashers' (as Uncle Pete from Hackney calls them) where I live. They use 'I led down' As in 'I lay down'..........

I’d add “hollibobs” and “sleeps” to that list.
Especially when spoken by supposedly fully grown adults.
When I very rarely use these , it's for a joke. As in 'only 3 more sleeps 'till Big Bin day'. The worry will now be...what if they think I'm serious?

Incidentally, it's only 4 more sleeps until our Big Bin day....Yay!

Latest posts

Back