In the Kitchen with Morphy Richards TSV 11/07/13

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

This looks quite interesting, or is it just another gadget, to take up space on my work top

I bought the original intellichef back in 2011 for my dad who is in his mid eighties. It has been used at least twice a week since then because it is easier to use as a casserole dish instead of having to bend down to get stuff out of the oven. The new one does even more as it looks like it can deep fry as well.
The only drawback is that it can only do one thing at a time. Amazon are accepting preorders for the new one for 13 July at £99 with free/pp
I paid £94.93 including postage back in June 2011.

Last edited:
is this similar to the phillps airfryer in that chips are cooked with minimal oil, ie spoonful, or are chips immersed in oil like an ordinary fryer? It looks quite good and I might think of getting it for my dad if it is easy enough to work.

is this similar to the phillps airfryer in that chips are cooked with minimal oil, ie spoonful, or are chips immersed in oil like an ordinary fryer? It looks quite good and I might think of getting it for my dad if it is easy enough to work.
No I don't think so. It is a bit more than a slow cooker as you can fry meat and onions and then add other ingredients such as tinned tomatoes and cook them all without any washing up until it is cooked. It has a timer. You can bake a cake in it, cook rice and the new function is the chip pan thing - presumably you can turn the temperature right up to get the oil hot enough to fry the chips.
I think you need to see the presentation - the price is certainly good

Looks very similar to the Vari chef on Ideal world , u can shallow fry but not deep fry, so its not suitable for chips. I think halogen ovens are the best gadget for the kitchen tbh.

I always think that, with these "one size fits all" gadgets, they never do one thing particularly well. If they did, there is no way they could sell them as cheaply as they do, when you consider that, in some cases, you would need to buy 5-6 individual machines to do what one does. The USP of this type of gadget, is the reduced footprint it will take up on your counter top. That may be so; but the same quality isn't there. Those are the facts, but if you are not going to use each function regularly, maybe it would be suitable.

Looks very similar to the Vari chef on Ideal world , u can shallow fry but not deep fry, so its not suitable for chips. I think halogen ovens are the best gadget for the kitchen tbh.

I don't think you can go past the halogen oven either, Autumn. I bought one for myself when they first came on the Q, and got one for my mum. Extremely quick cooking I find.

Having just watched the video of the midnight launch it looks like it is " a Jack of all trades and master of none"
The lady doing the demonstrating was worse than useless.
She stir fried some veg and she served it up so quickly it must have still been raw and I don't mean aldente the carrot looked cold. The steak was so under cooked it was almost still "mooing". I know they are under a time pressure but why bother having live demo's if you can't do them properly??
And several of her "pre prepared demos looked like the dogs dinner. She didn't sell it to me and I would have thought I am in their target customer range.
I will stick to my well used and loved halogen, I use it several times most days and would hate to be with out it now.

Surprised that steak cooked at all, the number if times she flipped it over. It was practically spinning!

As was said, I don't trust an item that promises to be so multifunctional. I worry that it'd do nothing particularly well.

This seems to me like a new Morphey Richards version of the Tefal Versalio, which I bought from QVC many moons ago .The Tefal version is brilliant and a safer way of deep frying, I wouldn't be without it.

What I like is the fact that it has a full temperature control, rather than different functions. It's a shame that the lowest temperature is only 80C, as if it went down to 55C it could also be a sous vide cooker - which would be great as these are ridiculously expensive.

This seems to me like a new Morphey Richards version of the Tefal Versalio, which I bought from QVC many moons ago .The Tefal version is brilliant and a safer way of deep frying, I wouldn't be without it.

That's right! I bought the Versalio years ago. It was more expensive but a really good piece of Kitchen equipment. I miss the Tefal presentations with Annette.

I miss the Tefal presentations with Annette.

:mysmilie_497:Me too! With her informative, interesting and entertaining demonstrations, Annette showed what being a Brand Ambassador was really all about, before the term got hijacked by so-called Ambassadors who have nothing of value to say or show about the product they reprensent.

Latest posts

Back