Is Jelly Opal really nice?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Sootoo

Registered Shopper
Can anyone help? I have been looking for some really colourful opal jewellery for ages. I noticed they had AAA jelly opal on gems tv yesterday, I missed it being shown live; does anyone own any and is it really colourful?

If jelly opals are the new name for what used to be water or crystal opals then they are, indeed, beautiful and far removed from standard white opal. They have more fluid, brighter colours. The Victorians used sumptuous opals in their jewellery-they were Victoris's favourite gem so perhaps you could look at some secondhand pieces to get a better idea.
Best wishes from Springflower.

I've have several pieces of jelly opal from Gems and they are all absolutely lovely - much nicer than normal white opal.

Get a few pieces home and see for yourself.

Thank you all so much for your help, I will definitely give it a go and order something, and see if I really like it. Thanks again.

I love love love jelly opals and have quite a few from GemsTV.

One tip is that like everything else, there are ones that are better than others and some people prefer to see certain colours while others like others. It's a very personal thing. What I did when I was buying mine was to buy 3 of most of them and pick the one with the best colourplay etc. If your budget allows I would most definitely do that because it ensures you get the best ones!

Thanks Meeshoo I really hope I can find something I like with really good colour play. I know they have Australian jelly opal at Gems tv, and I believe on friday at 7pm Sarah Bennett is selling Ethiopian opal, so will have a look at that too. I have in the past looked at opals at antique fairs and as Springflower said some of the older opals do look wonderful.

I'd just add my tuppence worth to say that the Mexican Jelly Opal outshines all the Australian type that I've ever seen - just my opinion of course, and I don't know anything about Ethiopian having never seen it!
I adore my little Mexican one, and still regret returning another - love Jelly Opal, whereas white opal leaves me cold.

Thanks pearly Queen, I don't think I have ever seen a Mexican jelly opal although I do have a Mexican fire opal. I've never seen Ethiopian opal before, thats why I thought I would have a look when it's on Gems, although I have read about it and it sounds good. The only other opal I have is a white opal and like you I don't care for it. It was a present for me as I have an October birthday.

Mexican jelly opals and the jelly opals sold at GemsTV are very similar and in fact you get good and bad in each! So you can compare I've attached below two Mexican jelly opal rings (one from GemsTV, one not) and two of my Mintabie jelly opals from GemsTV.

I've also got an Ethiopian Welo Opal. See attached. These opals are very unique because some (not all) will go white if you put them in water for a period of time and then become clear again when they dry out. Some revert over the course of a few days and some take just a few hours! Some don't do this though so don't be disappointed if yours doesn't (if you get one).

Ooooo, AAA jelly opal sounds lovely! Did anybody get any of the item codes so I can have a butcher's? Was it a special hour, or just a few pieces now and then? I wish Gems would advertise their themed hours better, on their website or on Facebook. Thanks for letting us know about the Ethiopian opal coming up; I have some (from Rocks & Co and from a gem show) and it is gorgeous.

Out of all the opals I have, I think the Mexican (several pieces from Gems TV) is my favourite, but I also very much agree with Meeshoo that opals are extremely variable and it's hard to generalise.

Hi Miss Magpie, I found item QJSV67 on the web after an auction but I do think they have had other pieces. If I might pick everyones brains again, I also found item RISV34 on the web too. It is boulder opal and looks really pretty, but is boulder opal less desirable, e.g. a doublet or a triplet?

Latest posts

Back