It makes you think really.............

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Gem Genie

Registered Shopper
My daughter put the thought in my head but she is right really. The presenters on QVC have at their fingertips (literally) all the finest lotions and potions in the world, Decleor, Gatineau, Elemis, Liz Earle etc and yet not one of them has managed to hold back the ravages of time. I admit that most of them are well groomed and some are very attractive (while others are not) but surely if they of all people can't prevent bags under the eyes, age spots and wrinkles then what hope is there for us?

Doesn't stop people buying the ranges though, does it?

Though a LOT of the spiel used on beauty shows is something along the lines of "Try it because celeb X uses it" or "Buy it because select spas stock it". It's more aspirational than purchasing something that actually works.

After all, if a beauty lab actually came up with something that literally stopped or reversed the signs of ageing, it would go bust as people wouldn't need to use anything else. Beauty brands make cash by trying to flog you a range of goods rather than one "miracle" potion.

If creams and serums etc worked, then why do A list stars (who have their pick of the best beauty brands) still resort to nips and tucks to try and fight sagging skin etc?

What price vanity. Yes its true deep down we all want to believe the latest product written about in newpapers etc will be the one. Actually was talking yesterday to someone I know on a YSL counter. They have a new skincare range and hell it has 7 Nobel Prizes behind it. Oh yes. Now both of us did say oh really!!! But its her job to sell and if people want to buy she cannot stop them(well yes but needs the money from her job to live on). Seems its the scientist who now works for YSL in past has won prizes.

Another is on the Martin Lewis website in the Vent section. This wonder product Rad something also under another names as well. Yes you seen the ads on your computer, woman 50+ now looks 35+ how has she done it etc. The people send for this wonder product on trail only as they think paying for the shipping but in fact signing up to have £80+ sometimes up to twice a month taken from their accounts. It is of course a scam, the product will not make you twenty years younger or even look that. But people rushed to sign up to try it. So excited they did not even stop to try to read the terms if they appeared at all on the webpage to start with. A cruel part of me wants to scream MORONS!!!! But its human nature wanting to believe the fantasy of the wonder product. As the YSL sa and said if it did exist no other beauty range would they would be out of business in a day. Even the wonder creams from Aldi or Lidli etc at £2+ which are suppose to do this or that. Okay you might have spent a small amount to try it but the company making it has made millions. All you have to go on is word of mouth, Oh I like it my skin looks smoother etc. Has it got rid of wrinkles or eye bags of course not. Has a scientific test been run to show it actually does anything other than the customer looking at themselves in the mirror and going oh I look better. The woman I know yesterday and I both said you really want to look want rid of wrinkles etc then its surgery nothing else.

Whatever you use it won't stop time ticking on. I am blessed with great skin but thats a genetic thing. My 85 year old Mum who is in a home with advanced Alzheimers has not used a cream on her face for nearly 6 years & her skin is still looking pretty good. Despite all that has happened to her she does not look 85. She used to be terribly fussy & spent loads on skin care & I must admit that I do take great care of my skin as well, but at the end of the day whatever you use it won't stop aging.

Its all down to genes.

i had a greasy skin for years and just used soap and water now my skin is dry because i take hrt. i have to use a moisturiser and the pharmacist recommended lotil but i,ve found that nivea q10 and judith williams are far better. i am not inclined to believe any of the anti ageing claims. Andrew from Gatineau has the most terrible bags under his eyes - surely he must have tried his company's products.

This is what I've been saying for years - especially about AY. I've also often wondered if excessive use of creams and concealers is going to contribute to bags under the eyes - after all, the skin is going to absorb some of whatever is plastered under there and excess fluid is going to result in bags and puffiness like AY has.

Didn't catch Liz E yesterday. Can't stand any prog with SuperScreechyWoman in it :giggle:

Yes, my post wasn't really about the merits of all the various products but about the way they are presented to us by these people on shopping channels.

They must think we have very short memories. Nearly all of them swear that they use a particular brand exclusively and that Brand X is responsible for the wonderful condition of their skin.

I would rather watch a presentation where someone says " I use this sometimes, in fact I use lots of things but this particular product is every bit as good as the others".

Not singling Julia out but she does have those very visible circles under her eyes. If she, a person like I have said before, has access to all the top brands, cannot do anything to help her own looks then why should they present the programmes to us in such a way that they make us believe this particular project to be their saviour.

The bottom line is that there is much of a muchness with all the products. Just present the facts and let the viewer decide.

I too was blessed with good skin and I have never had a "break out" in my life so it is the purely down to luck and what you are born with. The wrinkles are starting to appear now but I count myself very lucky that they are appearing probably twenty years later in my case than those of the my friends in school.

I accept that it is important to cleanse deeply and moisturise so sometimes I use the Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish but by no means every day. I refuse to put fancy potions on my skin on a daily basis just because some shopping telly presenter pushes them at me with her spiel.

i thought AY's puffiness was her being overweight. somebody posted a very useful link last week but can't remember where which gave guidelines as to the quantities of products to use where, eyecreams were cover tip of little finger for each top and bottom of eye. Body cream 4 tbls for a small body, face cream 4 tps. apparently the one not to overdo is the moisturiser.

Agree that no creams or serums etc can stop skin ageing,but some products are nicer to use than others. I like things that are not greasy,don't have an overly strong smell and help stop my skin feeling dry.If you can prevent your skin from drying out in the first place then you are halfway there.

The thing I always remember from my Biology classes at school was that skin is waterproof otherwise when it rains or you jump into a swimming pool you'd blow up like a balloon. So when I hear an 'expert' say that the skin absorbs potion X, I immediately think they are lying. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but what I was taught.

However,for me to make a mistake is unpossible...:tongue:

If you like it, use it. It's your money.

Latest posts

Back