Its June again ....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I do.

Have you ever come across a prickly shorter person that's scowled at you for offering to help? Or worse?My partner's tall, too, and has been abused for offering to fetch something or give a hand to someone struggling with a pushchair as often as he's been thanked.

I always thank someone for opening a door for me as I'm on crutches. I did once call a bloke a rude word for holding the door open for his partner then immediately let it slam on me. He heard me and was incensed! He started shouting at me telling me I shouldn't be allowed out and calling me what Lizzo's just changed in her song. His partner just wafted on obliviously. I was genuinely scared he was going to hit me. I know I shouldn't have called him what I did but I didn't actually think he'd hear me. It shook me up and put me off being in crowds alone.
Oh, that's sad. It would need a brave action to stand up to him, BUT being a woman if you had said "go on then, hit me, there's plenty about with a phone to film it, and I will sue you in Court", then its likely he would have slunked away.

I don't get that either. Straight people don't blurt out that they're heterosexual every 5 minutes.

I really do appreciate that gay people have had a really rough time in the past. One of our customers was caught in a police sting looking for sex in a public toilet decades ago. He was such a lovely man, worked from home as an accountant while looking after his disabled mum.

He was named and shamed in the local press and told me he was so relieved that his mum wouldn't find out as he'd thrown the paper and didn't take her out for weeks. He said he was so ashamed he considered suicide but couldn't bear to leave his mum. Awful. Simply because he was attracted to other men.

I volunteered with the health board AIDS helpline for years and heard some heartbreaking stories. People these days are very lucky that apart from the odd ignorant few, they can live life in peace.

Sexuality is something you don't have to be 'loud and proud' about. We have legal gay marriage and freedom to hold hands and kiss in public so just get on with it. I'm straight but have never made a public show of affection. Gay people are lucky in this country that they're not persecuted and punished as they are in many countries still. One of my best friends is a seasoned traveller but won't visit many countries because of their discrimination and fear of being arrested.
Yes, I agree. Its beyond me why gay's (not so much lesbians I've noticed) tend to make a big thing about being 'gay'. I also think that film makers show gays leading a hedonistic life style in their own clubs is not great PR for them.

I do.

Have you ever come across a prickly shorter person that's scowled at you for offering to help? Or worse?My partner's tall, too, and has been abused for offering to fetch something or give a hand to someone struggling with a pushchair as often as he's been thanked.

I always thank someone for opening a door for me as I'm on crutches. I did once call a bloke a rude word for holding the door open for his partner then immediately let it slam on me. He heard me and was incensed! He started shouting at me telling me I shouldn't be allowed out and calling me what Lizzo's just changed in her song. His partner just wafted on obliviously. I was genuinely scared he was going to hit me. I know I shouldn't have called him what I did but I didn't actually think he'd hear me. It shook me up and put me off being in crowds alone.

In retailing I interact with a lot of different people everyday and I've noticed that there is now a lot of angry people with an entitlement attitude.

It's a minefield for shop staff, offers of help are as likely to be met with a rude reply as with a thank you, I asked a middle aged lady if she needed any help to reach a book off the top shelf and she replied in a very rude tone of voice ''what's your problem?''

I do.

A lady I used to work with was in her 60s and she would commute to Central London from the suburbs. People would offer her a seat on the train, she would always refuse and rant when she got in to work saying "do I look that old?" I tried to say they are being respectful, or they are younger and feel you need the seat more than them but she wouldn't accept this. If someone offers their seat to me I accept unless I am only going one stop. And I offer my seat to anyone I feel needs it more than me.

If you are well brought up and have manners you will automatically hold doors for anyone coming behind yet often the person just sails through without a thank you . In this case I usually say (mutter) something. I’ve got to the stage where I can gauge what sort they are going to be.

On trains or buses I only give my seat to someone (male or female) older or disabled, but if they snapped at me I would snap back at them and tell them the were ungrateful and had no manners.

If you are well brought up and have manners you will automatically hold doors for anyone coming behind yet often the person just sails through without a thank you . In this case I usually say (mutter) something. I’ve got to the stage where I can gauge what sort they are going to be.

On trains or buses I only give my seat to someone (male or female) older or disabled, but if they snapped at me I would snap back at them and tell them the were ungrateful and had no manners.
I hate it when you hold a door and don't get any acknowledgement. If I'm in a bad mood I say "you're welcome". That usually makes things turn round and I say "oh sorry I thought you said thank you". Makes me feel better...😁

In retailing I interact with a lot of different people everyday and I've noticed that there is now a lot of angry people with an entitlement attitude.

It's a minefield for shop staff, offers of help are as likely to be met with a rude reply as with a thank you, I asked a middle aged lady if she needed any help to reach a book off the top shelf and she replied in a very rude tone of voice ''what's your problem?''
I asked a man in Asda if he would help me get the last 2 Henry Westons on the top shelf as they were at the back and I couldn't reach them. He did get them then stuck them in his own trolley :oops::cautious:

Could have given me one of them the * * * *

I no longer expect anything from anyone but I'd come into your shop any day Susie Sue.

CC

Manners cost nothing. It's really irritating for people who are brought up with them encounter people who haven't.

I worked in a shop for a while prior to buying the business. I was shocked at how many people treated me rudely when they thought I was a humble assistant and then had personality transplants when they discovered I was the new owner.

People are strange (except those here :love:).

Being on the short side. I do ask people to reach up to the top shelf in supermarkets. Freezer shelves are also a nightmare too. If no one around, I use my folding umbrella. Yes, keep it folded, but pull the handle out and swipe the shelf to get what I need. Now, sometimes I do knock things over on the shelf beside what I need. But hey, there you go. ;)

I don't get that either. Straight people don't blurt out that they're heterosexual every 5 minutes.

I really do appreciate that gay people have had a really rough time in the past. One of our customers was caught in a police sting looking for sex in a public toilet decades ago. He was such a lovely man, worked from home as an accountant while looking after his disabled mum.

He was named and shamed in the local press and told me he was so relieved that his mum wouldn't find out as he'd thrown the paper and didn't take her out for weeks. He said he was so ashamed he considered suicide but couldn't bear to leave his mum. Awful. Simply because he was attracted to other men.

I volunteered with the health board AIDS helpline for years and heard some heartbreaking stories. People these days are very lucky that apart from the odd ignorant few, they can live life in peace.

Sexuality is something you don't have to be 'loud and proud' about. We have legal gay marriage and freedom to hold hands and kiss in public so just get on with it. I'm straight but have never made a public show of affection. Gay people are lucky in this country that they're not persecuted and punished as they are in many countries still. One of my best friends is a seasoned traveller but won't visit many countries because of their discrimination and fear of being arrested.
Using public toilets to meet people is a bad idea for anyone.

I remember when George Michael got caught. It was not the fact he was gay it was George is gorgeous, why did he have to go to a public toilet to pick someone up?
They may have had to do that 50 years ago but anyone doing it in the past 20 years is doing it for kicks.

GM would have had absolutely no problem connecting with anyone in his very large circle of friends but there would be no adrenaline rush taking the risk involved.

She was on air yesterday.
Could be multi tasking 🤔 June comes over a bit posh but I think she used to be Del Boy's (the real one) neighbour. The common talk slips out now and again 🤭

This time next year June . . . . you might not have to work on QVC.

CC

Latest posts

Back