Jewellery... The Good & The Bad

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

CallMeQ

Registered Shopper
After reading a recent thread it gave me an idea for a new one...

I was thinking of all the Jewellery I've purchased from Q over the years and how some has been so amazing, then some has been total crap!

Which brands of Jewellery do you all think have been the best you've ordered from? Then of course which have been the worst?

For me the best has to be either Aurora (I've never had to a return an item from this range), Diamonique - I order this regularly, although tend to designs that would pass for the real thing or Folli Follie!

The worst on the other hand is harder to pin point as I've had quite a few disappointments over the years... most recently from Loverocks - overpriced market stall jewellery, but also had bad experiences with Honora and Frank Usher...

love my diamonique and a black hills gold ring that i wear everyday and it still looks good 18 years later. just recently bought a clogau ring and not so sure why they are so expensive. dont get me wrong i love these designs but something is a little underwelming.

Best ever jewellery item is a pair of gold opal half hoop earrings bought years ago which I wear a couple of times each week. I have some of the more believable diamonique earrings, and i like honora. More recently like aurora, folli follie and Lola rose but buy cheaper elsewhere. Worse has been butler and Wilson, only ever bought once or twice in what I thought were the less tacky designs but returned because were still overpriced tat.

Best ever jewellery item is a pair of gold opal half hoop earrings bought years ago which I wear a couple of times each week. I have some of the more believable diamonique earrings, and i like honora. More recently like aurora, folli follie and Lola rose but buy cheaper elsewhere. Worse has been butler and Wilson, only ever bought once or twice in what I thought were the less tacky designs but returned because were still overpriced tat.

I know what you mean about B&W, some of his things are very overpriced, i have a few of his crosses and love them - but would never pay £40+ for a keyring or almost £100 for a brooch

I have`t bought any jewellery from Q since the good old days of real gold and good quality gemstones at a reasonable price. I have a favourite pair of multi gem gold earrings and also some citrine gold set earrings which I wear regularly plus a few gold gemset rings. Nowadays they seem to sell mainly silver, diamonique or costume jewellery and if i want silver I wait until the Hot Diamonds website sale ( always good value in their sale and well made ) or if I want similar to diamonique I buy the Simply Silver CZ sterling silver range from Debenhams, ( also in their sale ) and on rare or special occasions if I`m looking for a gold item or something out of the ordinary I search around, both locally or online. The last special piece I bought is the ring on my signature. I`ve currently got my eye on a white gold pendant and earrings from Grant Logan but I`ll have to save carefully and think twice about it.

It's not so much the style of jewellery changing from gold gem set or heavy silver to lighter pieces but in the actual quality of the pieces.

I have, and still do, purchase a lot of jewellery from Q, expensive and costume and obviously don't expect Frank Usher at £20 to compare with something at £200 but the quality has fallen over the entire price ranges. I have even had to return an Aura item which was really below par.

Gems seem to be so washed out now and there is no choice at all.

Also everything is so bland now, I really miss the designers we had years ago, I have many many pieces people always ask about but I would be hard pushed to buy anything really outstanding now.

The last piece of jewellery I bought from QVC was the amethyst friendship bracelet. Loved it, hadn't worn for a few weeks went to wear and the gold plating had tarnished!!!! Lucky I had a cloth thing for that and a quick wipe all bright and clean again. I admit I was shocked. Now have a anti tarnish paper in the box. But I have silver jewellery going back years and never tarnished.

I have a number of 14ct white gold diamonique bought either last century or early this and all still going strong. A number of white gold bracelets all going strong. I used to buy from their sales(when they used to be great), now I rarely look at any jewellery shows.

Best buys for me -some Eternal items, diamonique silver, sometimes epiphany and modern styles such as circle pendant and quite a few eternal diamonique.

Got a Nour popcorn gunmetal bracelet that I like wearing.

Most worn are my Honora black pearl studs.

Worst- well have to say that one or 2 of my eternal pieces have had to go back. Not for poor quality-just because design not what I expected from the pictures.

Bibi-sent back due to faulty poor workmanship.

Aurora-returned as wonky set crystals.

Veronese- returned everything I have ever tried from this range. Too flimsy.

That fairy dust range- Dreamkeeper-I made mistake of buying a last clicks item, despite return postage cost I returned it in disgust it was no better than as if it had come out of a Christmas cracker.

In the good old days when they sold great gold and gem pieces I could not afford more than the occasional clearance item. I am not really a "dripping in gems and diamonds" girl though I much prefer diamonique in mordern fashion styles and chunky, silver pieces. I like gold as long as it is solid, simple and classic.

I returned the south western silver and the Sincerely range. I Liked Mischa by design but found that they were not very practical to wear.

Worst offender by far though- is Butler and Wilson. Never bought because it all looks so ugly to me whenever I see it on air.

I have loved some of the QVC jewellery - mostly their own in clearance! Worst were Frank Usher and B&W which disintegrated. I think if you spend quite a bit of money on a B&W keyring it should be fit for purpose and not loose stones and fall to pieces after a short while. I do like the Veronese (mostly reduced prices) - looks like solid gold but so much cheaper and not had any problems with rubbing etc. Another bad experience was with the ethnic American jewellery (can't remember the name)- has to send straight back as such terrible quality.

Latest posts

Back