Julia asking folk to text their 'forename'

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I don't think it's idealised to want women to be able to do the well paid jobs men have historically done. Not everyone enjoys what you call the mundane jobs (but job satisfaction is everything, I agree). Of course there is a hierarchy at work but why should it be based on gender? For the record, I don't have a chip on my shoulder because I'm the backroom girl - I have a good job (I'm a lawyer) but I find it depressing that women are not well represented in senior roles but are very over-represented in the low skilled, poorly-paid jobs.

who says it IS based on gender? Perhaps the best person for the job is the one doing the job, be it high or low? I know that I wouldn't have been suited to the front-line, but behind the lines, loading the ammo, I was mustard! I'm not saying females shouldn't have ambition..if you do have it, fine, go after what you want, but don't think we're all the same!

Really? Ask the kids who don't have a parent home before or after school, at tea times because they are out at work. Do you not think kids miss their parents? Having a family unit which gives them the belief and confidence that they can achieve is far more important. Perhaps we wouldn't have so many feral kids if both parents weren't forced into working all the hours god sends. There should be a healthy balance somewhere.

you'd never say to a man, 'if you have a career and a child you'll be a bad father', so why are women made out to be selfish or bad mothers because they want to be a parent and work too? Aren't both parents responsible for spending time with their children?

who says it IS based on gender? Perhaps the best person for the job is the one doing the job, be it high or low? I know that I wouldn't have been suited to the front-line, but behind the lines, loading the ammo, I was mustard! I'm not saying females shouldn't have ambition..if you do have it, fine, go after what you want, but don't think we're all the same!

we're not all the same. not every woman wants a career. not every woman wants to be a house wife. Which is why I get frustrated when some people on this thread suggest women should be at home raising the children while their hard working husbands go out to work. That particular 'ideal' isn't very appealing to a lot of women today.

we're not all the same. not every woman wants a career. not every woman wants to be a house wife. Which is why I get frustrated when some people on this thread suggest women should be at home raising the children while their hard working husbands go out to work. That particular 'ideal' isn't very appealing to a lot of women today.

bottom line..we're all different. I worked most of my life, I enjoyed it, but it wouldn't suit everyone - but why should you feel frustrated about what other people think & do? The "ideal" you mention - for some women that would be very tempting, for others it would be anathema - today's woman has a lot more choice I think..in my day you got toted along to the junior labour exchange on leaving school and got placed in a job..well that's what happened to me anyway! University was (or seemed to be) for the select few, the really clever ones, and I never had the slightest inclination to go..and I wouldn't have been clever enough to get in had I tried. But for all that I spent most of my working life in jobs I enjoyed doing..I swopped and changed till I found a niche that fitted me comfortably - what I'm saying is that we're not all like you, you're a lawyer - well, you've obviously worked hard and done well and good luck to you...but we don't all aspire to the same thing do we? If a person is happy at work and in his or her personal life, well then, I think that person has done well in life.

Not every man wants a career.

I'd love to be a jet-setting multi-millionaire, but my selfish forebears couldn't be bothered making any cash for me to inherit and live off.

Selfish sods :nod:

:wink:

Regarding women with children that work, I don't think it is always a generation thing. Both my mother (now 72) and my grandmothers worked whilst they had children. My grandmothers worked during the war (one on a farm and one in a munitions factory) both had young children, I don't think either my mother or my father suffered because they worked, in fact they have always been proud of their mothers' contributions to the war.

My mum was a teacher and went back to work very soon after I was born because she didn't want her class to suffer from being moved between temporary teachers and potentially disrupt their education. I don't feel I suffered either - I knew my mum loved me and I certainly didn't feel neglected.

Having said that, I do not think that a woman who gives up work to look after her child is wrong, my cousin has and she loves it

Whatever you (and your partner) decide, is the right thing I would say. My mum always worked as far back as I remember...she got a job managing a shop and we lived in the flat above - it was the first time we'd had "a place of our own" - we'd lived with relatives previously, so it was mum working and providing a place for us to live in effect. Dad always worked too but I was about 14 before they were able to buy a home - I didn't/don't feel in any way deprived because of any of this..my mum was always at home when I got in from school because we lived over the shop of course so I wasn't a latch-key kid in that respect - but it was a case of needs must and perhaps still is today in a lot of cases.

Latest posts

Back