Julia reveals health issue

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Having read the blog, it is not unlike what I went through when diagnosed with SLE (lupus) - the phone call from the GP telling me to go straight to the hospital after tests showed my platelet count was zero, the bone marrow taken from my breast bone,and waiting for the results, - all nail biting stuff, so I can sympathise greatly with Julia on the traumatic time she experienced.

Lupus too, is not curable, but is "controlled" by daily medication, with regular blood checks at the hospital. I was 44 when I was diagnosed and that was 20 years ago. You live your life and carry on, - for me like Julia, overwhelming tiredness is the enemy (not just the "Im ready for bed tiredness), but when your body screams that you MUST lie down NOW.

I would imagine from her slight weight increase and her face, that Julia could be taking steroids - something else to be battled !

As this site has shown, those in the public eye with health issues have people rooting for them via social networking every step of the way, and I too will join the throng and sincerely wish Julia all the best with the advice to rest as much as possible particularly when her body tells her to.

But lets not forget either, the many many sufferers of cancer and other serious illnesses who have no-one to wish them well or make them a cup of tea, who attend hospital appointments alone, and never have a comforting hug when they feel down. Sadly this is life.

So Sorry to hear this news but wish Julia all the best with any treatment she may have to face.I have always respected Julia's professionalism although have at times commented on her appearance.I always been thankful for my good health and don't take it for granted when there are those younger than me who are facing traumatic situations.

I hope they get the treatment just right for her soon and that she can have her life as she wants it. She does seem to have a good attitude and of course her sister is a cancer survivor which is good.
I also hope all the breakthroughs in research and treatment come to pass soon for everyone who needs them. I know caution is necessary but the wait is literally killing people.

Thank you for you positive words Brissles, it's a positive message that inspires hope for those affected by various forms of cancer and their loved ones :).

Sadly my neighbour, lost her hubby 2 years ago and now her 39 year old son, father of 3 young children, youngest is only 2, is skeletal & in the hospice. Her son is a lovely man, always has been & wonderful husband & farther. Both he & his devoted wife refused to believe that cancer would kill him. Sadly today they were both told his cancer is terminal. There was panic and trauma at the hospice as neither of them were ready to hear he may have just days left. His Mum knew he was on limited time a while ago & has done her best to come to terms with it. She has had recurring breast cancer herself, which is curently in remission. If you pray peeps please, if I may can I ask that you include Nigel & his family for love & support thru this worst time, thank you xx.

I'm very saddened tonight because I doubt they have time to do what they would have wanted to in order to say goodbye & prepare the children. I know some people do videos with messages & scrap books with loving words. I know Nigel would have done things like that had he have known :(. I know the children will always be told about him & will be very proud of him throughout their lives.

Last edited:
Nikki that is so sad. There always seems to be another heartbreaking "story" out there. Life is so blasted unfair and your friends have had more than their fair share. :eek:(

Nikki that is so sad. There always seems to be another heartbreaking "story" out there. Life is so blasted unfair and your friends have had more than their fair share. :eek:(
I know Tinks :0(. All I can do is pray for them. That family has had to endure so much loss & trauma & now this. They're all lovely people too. I'm in tears because I can't imagine the pain & shock Nigel & Lisa, his wife must be going through. A positive mental attitude is 100% correct but when it's a particularly brutal form of cancer I think perhaps, if possible & people can bear it, they can think about preparation should the worst happen, particularly if they want to do something personal for their children. So many cancers are different and thankfully nowadays many can be held at bay or in long term remission. It was just very unfortunate Nigel had the type that is so attacking xx.

Nikki,I'm so sorry to hear about poor Nigel,his family must be so distraught atm

I will light a candle for him & of course will remember him (& his family) in my prayers.

You feel so helpless at times like this,don't you? xxx

"But lets not forget either, the many many sufferers of cancer and other serious illnesses who have no-one to wish them well or make them a cup of tea, who attend hospital appointments alone, and never have a comforting hug when they feel down. Sadly this is life. "

YEP !!!

You do Marzy. I'm always a believer in the power of prayer & sending out compassionate thoughts. I talked to Nigel's Mum for quite a while today. I can do what I can, pray & be there for his Mum. I think sometimes people feel easier talking about it to people who aren't direct family members. Poor lady can't say what was actually going on today from her point of view to her siblings as they're too close to the situation. I'm pleased I'm there for her to talk to. At least I can help in that way x.

Oh & many thanks for your prayers Marzy & candle x. Thank you to everyone who'se sending their thoughts out to Nigel & his family, big hug x.

Last edited:
such a shock to read about Julia , please God her treatment will continue to be successful.

Nikki , what a dreadful situation your neighbour's family are in. Love, and prayers for Nigel and love and strength to his family.

my thoughts are with any of you who have family and\or friends who are ill, I was sad to read about Julia and and really hope that her treatment is helping her. I so agree with thinking too about those who are going through treatment without the support and help of others.

A very dear friend of mine died very suddenly a few years ago, she literally arrived at work, had a massive heart attack and died. She was 42, I still cannot quite believe that she is gone. I had just been to the shops to buy her birthday present when I got the phone call telling me she had died.

I am so sad to know about Julia's illness. As I have mentioned a couple of times before, I only registered here (after lurking around a while) to come to her defence. I always thought and think that she is the best presenter on QVC and gives a very good description of the item she is trying to sell,and does not try to "over sell" and therefore sells it, simply because many of us know that.
I would not liked to be called her fan, because I am not, I was only sticking up for a woman who was doing her job so well.
I am sad to know she is not well,and am sending my best best wishes and positive thoughts to her. She is a plucky lady and will, I am sure find strength to fight this illness. I don't know how long she has been suffering from this illness, I find that she has great strength of mind to continue working through it.
I am one who believes in the power of prayers and positive thoughts and she will be in the list of people I pray for.
She has been someone who has been in my home many hours, keeping me company.....via TV of course, and I hope she will do so for many more years.
Then I read about Nikki's friend and that on top of reading about Julia was too much and I just burst into tears.
Nikki I just don't know what to say about your friends, my heart goes out to them.....how they must be feeling about the future of their children and all those things!!

Cancer is the devil's work, it devastates families. A friend of mine Richard died last year from malignant melanoma aged 41. He was always a healthy, fit, tall, strapping and sporty man, but still he was cut down in his prime. His mum was so dignified at his funeral, I don't know if I cold have held up so well.

Slight tangent from the mention of bone marrow donations. I looked into it a few years ago but was too old but I was lucky enough to be accepted as a blood platelet donor. It's the only way I can help people like Richard and several other work mates that suffered with horrible diseases.

Seize the day, live life to the full while you can, love long and often, do the right thing - you never know what's waiting for you.

Linda xx

ThankYou Eric'sMum :heart: I didn't know about BloodPlateletDonation. I will enquire about my eligibility this week. I would like to help if I can. x Snarly

ThankYou Eric'sMum :heart: I didn't know about BloodPlateletDonation. I will enquire about my eligibility this week. I would like to help if I can. x Snarly

Me too Snarly - www.blood.co./platelets
Basically 17-65 if never given blood before, 17-70 if you have, over 50kg and in good health - they then take it from there.
DJ x

How on Earth do you know what she thought or did? I am known for being quite judgemental and direct but even I wouldn't make an ignorant comment like that. Clearly Julia Roberts is not well. She is a proud person and would have put on a brave front, telling people in her own time as and when she feels ready. What was she supposed to do? Tell everyone live on air just after she found out?? Just when she was coming to terms with the awful news herself? I am sure she is an intelligent person and would not ignore illness. Her illness has nothing to do with people buying things from QVC. I just don't understand how you could possibly link the two. For all her faults I quite like her and am saddened to hear of her illness. I hope she gets through it ok. My thoughts are with her and her family and friends.
The moral of this story is that our money would be better spent on a health check than silly things from QVC and other shops. At 55 , Julia probably thought the tiredness was down to the menopause.

Me too Snarly - www.blood.co./platelets
Basically 17-65 if never given blood before, 17-70 if you have, over 50kg and in good health - they then take it from there.
DJ x

unfortunately, I am unable to donate as I have had blood transfusions in the past, the last in 1998. I feel bad that I am unable to repay the debt I owe to help others, after receiving donated blood which literally saved my life.

I have the utmost respect for people who selflessly give blood to help others in need.

You shouldn't feel bad DollyDimple I'm sure you do things for others that some don't. It's about doing all we can, my mum has given up a massive amount of her time over the years for the church and other charities because she hasn't had money, I've done that in the past but now I give money as I don't have time. My dad has been gone a long time now so I can't help him but I can try and help someone else's dad.

Do what you can DollyDimple but don't feel bad.

Latest posts

Back