Julia Roberts hates fig / black cherry candles

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Julius

Registered Shopper
Very interesting seeing Julia Roberts on with Yankee Candle guest Steven just now. She made it clear that she absolutely HATED the fig / black cherry candle fragrances without expressly saying so. It was interesting seeing how she got the point across. She said "you can keep your fig and your black cherry," and "Steven very thoughtfully put that down without me having to smell it!"

Knowing how the presenters often profess to adore everything (which they obviously cannot) I was surprised at how JR broached her dislike of those fragrances. I have seen Yankee candles in Asda. One of them should have been entitled: "Harpic toilet cleaner," it was so vile!

I wonder if she will get into trouble if sales slump as a result of her disdain? I don't think she should. She has every right not to like certain candles. What do you think? Was JR tactless or was she showing a flicker of much-needed integrity?

I have heard Julia say about Black Cherry before but she is not the only one who states when they don't like some candle fragrances, pretty sure I have heard Charlie and Dale do it too.

I have heard Julia say about Black Cherry before but she is not the only one who states when they don't like some candle fragrances, pretty sure I have heard Charlie and Dale do it too.

Maybe they are doing it as their token bit of sincerity, like when Alison Young says: "I would not advise yew if you are under 105 to use this on your face area as yew don't need it for yew. This is a preeeeeemiyem prooduct designed to actually target those wrinkles gained over a century. This is one for the centenarians amongst yew and I wouldn't recommend a product if yew don't need it."

its a good idea to be frank in a proffessional way the "punters" are more likely to believe you and buy from you .we cant all like the same things

It's fine for a presenter to say they don't like something but as a viewer it would be more helpful if they explained why, I personally love black cherry but I would imagine Julia saying she hated it would put a lot of people off.

It's fine for a presenter to say they don't like something but as a viewer it would be more helpful if they explained why, I personally love black cherry but I would imagine Julia saying she hated it would put a lot of people off.

I see what you mean, Autumn. She doesn't seem to like the "deep, fruity" fragrances. I personally hate patchouli. If anyone comes near me wearing anything with patchouli I run a mile!

I'm the same with lillies. Can't bear the smell. I'm like the Child Catcher in Chitty. I can smell them a mile off!

Love pachouli, loathe vanilla and honey. I would avoid those like the plague as a presenter but be diplomatic about it. Find Clinton's a difficult shop to shop in now because of YK.

I always find that their tokenism is "I'll be honest, I didn't think I'd like it because I really hate the taste/smell/feel of it, but I really like this"............a Chuntley and JR favourite.

I'm the same with lillies. Can't bear the smell. I'm like the Child Catcher in Chitty. I can smell them a mile off!

Same for me, the smell actually makes me feel ill. If anyone gives me flowers with them in, I accept them graciously, but the lillies have to be removed and banished outside! I read somewhere that they're not meant to be indoor flowers, or only used in big spaces. They really do affect my sinuses. As for YC, I personally can't stand scented candles but they seem to be my family's "go to" gift at Christmas. I have loads of them now, most of which have never been opened. Getting fed up seeing so much of it on QVC as well.

think smell is such a strong sense, fragrances evoke strong feelings. Personally I love the smell of freshly-cut grass in the spring, and wallflowers, and a newly-opened jar of honey. I like l'Occitane's shea thoap, too.

Awful things! Such a shame cos they are so beautiful to look at. I hate the smell of the damn things though, it sets my hayfever off like crazy and then gives me a headache. They ruin a good bunch of flowers.

I love floral fragrances but not lillies. The smell makes me feel depressed. I love freesias which I associate with happy summer days.

Awful things! Such a shame cos they are so beautiful to look at. I hate the smell of the damn things though, it sets my hayfever off like crazy and then gives me a headache. They ruin a good bunch of flowers.

Some lilies don't smell, the only ones I find to be heavily scented are the stargazing ones.

I love the smell of lilies, I have big bunches of them in my house, they remind me of my Gran. I'm not big on vanilla or anything lavender and definitely not lily of the valley. I quite like the yankee "berry trifle" and my all time favourite Christmas one is "merry marshmallow" but I can only find it on ebay now.

CC

I too love the smell of lilies. Don't understand roses without scent. Wallflowers, old fashioned but I can smell them even when I can't see them, lovely. Now lavender I like in the garden but I can't have it at all in any other form, gives me a headache and I feel sick, the very thought of using it to help sleep is a no no from me. Perhaps that is why I have little interest in L'Occtaine.

Lillies look nice but smell like something from a funeral parlour. At least that's the impression they give me. (No offence to people who like them). Once my grandmother had something called Datura (angel's trumpet) and I smelled it once, to have my eyes swell up to the point I could hardly see and my eyes / nose watering for days, so I hate those, and amaryllis. I like the smell of fennel. It's ever so slightly reminiscent of aniseed. I like the smell of sliced cucumbers, olive oil and black pepper! I like the smell of porridge with vanilla extract in it. I like the smell of the "Crystal Clear" car window spray - it's sort of melony or a bit like those slush puppie iced drinks that were popular years ago. I like the fragrance "Virgin Island Water" by Creed. If they put that in a candle I'd buy loads of them. I like the smell of tomatoes, freshly picked. I like the smell of "tilleul" or linden trees. I like the smell of a forest / park after it's been raining. I like the smell of Ambre Solaire sun cream (always reminds me of holidays). I like the smell of washing that has just come out of the tumble dryer. I like the smell of the sea air on Palanga beach, mixed with the smell of sand and pine trees / ice-creams. I like the smell of the leather seats and plush carpet in my vehicle. I like the smell of the London Underground - particularly the Victoria and Central lines. It's that sort of electrified smell a bit like you get at the dodgems at a funfair. I used to like the smell of the roses in the "Rose Walk" in the middle of The Level, Brighton. Now they've made it all trendy and put all different kinds of plants there. I like the smell of the Infinity Foods café in Brighton, and the Neals Yard aromatherapy shop in Kensington Gardens.

As for smells I hate, I LOATHE the smell of cigarette smoke. Can detect it a mile off. I particularly hate getting in lifts with people who have been smoking. I HATE patchouli. It makes me think of dirty hippies! I hate eggs, tuna, in fact any kind of fish. I hate the smell of those packet Cup a Soups.

Latest posts

Back