Julia Yawn Needy - Roberts

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I read the first few pages of one of Debbie Flint's books but they were so badly written and edited that it went straight out. Same with one of Julia Roberts' books - basic editing was lacking and the writing style of both did nothing for me. I constantly felt my red pen twitch! Okay, chicklit isn't my literary genre but I can forgive anything that's well written. Both authors need to hire a recognized editor and find a reputable publisher, not one of those vanity places. I think they might struggle in that.

OTOH, I've just finished reading one of Jackie Kabler's books and overall I really enjoyed it. There were a few pages that I skipped because they were just going over old ground and did nothing for the plot, but at least the English was good and didn't grate on me, the plot kept me going and it was only 99p on Kindle. Any more and I wouldn't have bought it. And she wrote a nice little piece at the end thanking people for buying it, which I appreciated, because she can't make more than a few pennies on a 99p purchase price. Her publisher is Harper Collins and I've pre-ordered another 99p one out in June, based on how much I enjoyed the first one. I honestly feel she could make a living from it, though not as good a living as with QVC for a long time.

You may not all agree with me or like what I've written but I speak as I find. If Alison Keenan's books are 99p, I'd buy one out of curiosity, but I'm not holding my breath.
I’ve read some of Jackie’s books too and found them very enjoyable. Getting a deal with a publisher shows that others rated her books too. Of course different people like different things, so her books won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but I did like them.

I read the first few pages of one of Debbie Flint's books but they were so badly written and edited that it went straight out. Same with one of Julia Roberts' books - basic editing was lacking and the writing style of both did nothing for me. I constantly felt my red pen twitch! Okay, chicklit isn't my literary genre but I can forgive anything that's well written. Both authors need to hire a recognized editor and find a reputable publisher, not one of those vanity places. I think they might struggle in that.

OTOH, I've just finished reading one of Jackie Kabler's books and overall I really enjoyed it. There were a few pages that I skipped because they were just going over old ground and did nothing for the plot, but at least the English was good and didn't grate on me, the plot kept me going and it was only 99p on Kindle. Any more and I wouldn't have bought it. And she wrote a nice little piece at the end thanking people for buying it, which I appreciated, because she can't make more than a few pennies on a 99p purchase price. Her publisher is Harper Collins and I've pre-ordered another 99p one out in June, based on how much I enjoyed the first one. I honestly feel she could make a living from it, though not as good a living as with QVC for a long time.

You may not all agree with me or like what I've written but I speak as I find. If Alison Keenan's books are 99p, I'd buy one out of curiosity, but I'm not holding my breath.
The beauty of digital books, for Kindle at least, is the free sample. You can generally get a feel for whether or not you would enjoy the complete book. Once you've dipped your to in, you can delete the sample or upgrade to a purchase. It has saved me from a lot of badly written shockers over the years!

The most common advice given to budding writers is "write what you know", and inevitably they will pull from their Q backgrounds to some extent. Nsme-checking brands, though....I wonder if they tapped up Q brands for sponsored product placement?! 😱

I always thought that the purpose of her retreat in Devon was to guide and mentor budding writers with her experience and knowledge as a successful, ‘published’ and established author ? So that didn’t work then?
She never seems to be off at the moment or at least when I flick on, with Gatineau she was taking her eye makeup off on air to show how brilliant it was.Except her lashes were still clogged with mascara.Why does she always talk as though she has just discovered the meaning of the Universe, slow, breathy, reveal.

I always thought that the purpose of her retreat in Devon was to guide and mentor budding writers with her experience and knowledge as a successful, ‘published’ and established author ? So that didn’t work then?
She never seems to be off at the moment or at least when I flick on, with Gatineau she was taking her eye makeup off on air to show how brilliant it was.Except her lashes were still clogged with mascara.Why does she always talk as though she has just discovered the meaning of the Universe, slow, breathy, reveal.
I think the purpose of the retreat was to make money, feed her ego by having her guests admiring her and taking the village by storm. The wonderful newcomer. It perhaps didn’t turn out that way. Too much like hard work. Early starts, lots of cooking and maybe indifferent villagers.

She is on constantly making watching QVC torturous. Nearly always there at 9pm and 12am to ensure a sample of the TSV. Obsessed with freebies and collecting clutter. She loves taking her makeup off to show what a natural beauty she is, often drawing attention to her going without makeup on her numerous vlogs. As to the slow, breathy reveal it’s all part of her misconception that she is alluring and gorgeous. I find her difficult to watch and to like.

Just look at the front of Q Arsebook. Sorry can’t do links

Spoiler - have a really big sick bucket at the ready.
She put this on her blog, it's from him indoors. As you rightly said :sick:🪣

There's a company that has three places where people can go to write & attend courses; they are in Shropshire, Yorkshire & North Devon, this has been an Arvon centre for more than 50 years & is two miles from Sheepwash. Now isn't that a coincidence?

WTAF are they being allowed to talk about family and their writing when they're supposed to be presenting and helping the viewer decide whether an item is suitable or not?

When is this obsession with social media going to end? I've just watched part of the Travel Show on the BBC News channel and am quite disgusted by the people that take selfies of themselves with wild animals. These idiots are creating a market for what is quite simply cruelty to animals.

Ask yourself who is actually paying for the publicity for these books/other outside businesses these salespeople own? The money for their publicity hasn't been donated by a kindly benefactor. No, it's the hard-working customers who buy the goods that make the profit that keeps QVC going and it's in this time paid for by their customers that they're all allowed to advertise for their own profit which is not what I want my money to fund. Everyone else pays for pubicity, so why not them? Unless they pay the going rate, I'm surprised the holding company and their shareholders haven't clamped down on it.

WTAF are they being allowed to talk about family and their writing when they're supposed to be presenting and helping the viewer decide whether an item is suitable or not?

When is this obsession with social media going to end? I've just watched part of the Travel Show on the BBC News channel and am quite disgusted by the people that take selfies of themselves with wild animals. These idiots are creating a market for what is quite simply cruelty to animals.

And WHAT IS IT with all this open mouth wide sticking tongue out business, all about ? Someone on here mentioned Craig's blog, so I had a look, and yep, there he was, camera aloft sticking out his tongue. I did write a comment underneath but doubt if it was printed. Honest to God these are adults ! but him and Cabbage Patch face (DF) cant get enough of photographing themselves. Must be nice to think you're good looking enough to believe that other people think you are as well.

Me, I loathe being photographed - because I never seem to look in a photo like what I see in the mirror ! About 9 years ago I decided I WOULD have a decent photo taken before I left this mortal coil, so I went to Harrods and had a pro-make over (there was an offer on), then a top photographer did a black and white headshot. Well, I wore a black dress, pearls and a fan blew my hair slightly, - I emerged looking like ............... Bette Midler 🤭 actually it wasn't half bad, and it was a good size portrait which came framed, so it was on display for a while.

And WHAT IS IT with all this open mouth wide sticking tongue out business, all about ? Someone on here mentioned Craig's blog, so I had a look, and yep, there he was, camera aloft sticking out his tongue. I did write a comment underneath but doubt if it was printed. Honest to God these are adults ! but him and Cabbage Patch face (DF) cant get enough of photographing themselves. Must be nice to think you're good looking enough to believe that other people think you are as well.

Me, I loathe being photographed - because I never seem to look in a photo like what I see in the mirror ! About 9 years ago I decided I WOULD have a decent photo taken before I left this mortal coil, so I went to Harrods and had a pro-make over (there was an offer on), then a top photographer did a black and white headshot. Well, I wore a black dress, pearls and a fan blew my hair slightly, - I emerged looking like ............... Bette Midler 🤭 actually it wasn't half bad, and it was a good size portrait which came framed, so it was on display for a while.
The Everton person's another one who's always got her mouth open, even when it's full of food :sick:

Latest posts

Back