Just for Men?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

T

thatu

Guest Shopper
Not.
Umpteen cufflinks and a wallet for credit cards on a loop in the hour, a Christmassy jumper you could buy off the market for much less and a merino wool sweater for £65 including p&p, when you can get merino and cashmere sweaters at Woolovers for under £40. http://www.woolovers.com/mens/cashmere-merino

Boring.

I have bought a few items from wool over now. Generally the outlet section which has recently appeared. I like thei hoodies

Mr L likes their polo necks and has just stocked up. I think it is the choice of colours more than anything, all other shops are black black and if you are really really lucky maybe grey.

Unfortunately I can't wear anything like that next to my skin, but they have some lovely things.

These gifts for men hours are soooooooooooooooo boring. How many wallets / razors do we need?!!! I would rather have someone buy me a flatcap as I collect flatcaps, or a car care item - like Showroom Shine or Crystal Clear.

I find it difficult buying gifts for men. Have to ask my Dad weeks in advance what he would like for Christmas/Birthdays. Mr N absolutely hates shopping for himself! :mysmilie_13:

And they have the cheek to say we are hard to buy for!

I could list dozens of things from under a fiver to thousands for myself but Mr L says I'm talking rot and just try being in his shoes!

Mr L likes their polo necks and has just stocked up. I think it is the choice of colours more than anything, all other shops are black black and if you are really really lucky maybe grey.

Unfortunately I can't wear anything like that next to my skin, but they have some lovely things.

Some lovely, well-priced knitwear. I'm not great with pure wool, but they have silk/cotton blends and some with cashmere.

Women ARE hard to buy for :( My ex girlfriend kept complaining about the electrical cord on the iron twisting up so I bought her a cordless iron from Robert Dyas for her birthday. Then she went complaining about how it wasn't a suitable gift etc etc. She had more steam coming out of her ears than the iron. I ended up keeping the iron! It cost £49.99 and is still going strong 3 years later.

The iron should have been purchased anyway in an effort to make life easier but not for a present, that should be personal and that does not mean girly girly things necessarily - if you long for a B&D drill great that's your ideal present and personal to you, but not in these circumstances. I would have ironed your clothes with you still in them!

Women ARE hard to buy for :( My ex girlfriend kept complaining about the electrical cord on the iron twisting up so I bought her a cordless iron from Robert Dyas for her birthday. Then she went complaining about how it wasn't a suitable gift etc etc. She had more steam coming out of her ears than the iron. I ended up keeping the iron! It cost £49.99 and is still going strong 3 years later.

This sounds like a men are from mars, women are from venus moment, Julius... you missed the subtext! General rule with us women - unless we've specifically asked for it or spelled out a general preference as a present, practical is not the way to go.

The iron should have been purchased anyway in an effort to make life easier but not for a present, that should be personal and that does not mean girly girly things necessarily - if you long for a B&D drill great that's your ideal present and personal to you, but not in these circumstances. I would have ironed your clothes with you still in them!

Well, I suppose you are right, really. But I LOVE practical gifts. Car polish - great! Microfibre cloths - great! Any vehicle-related - great!

Romance is certainly not dead, is it? Wonder the iron didn't end up somewhere else...answers, on a postcard, please.

Me too. An iron is not a Christmas present!!!!!!!

But I thought it is the thought that counts! I mean, she was really complaining and complaining about how the flex on the iron was fraying, exposing the wires underneath (which were encased in plastic so in my view they weren't dangerous at all). I was passing by a Robert Dyas store and saw the iron on display in the window so I bought one. It wasn't even cheap! At the time I didn't have a lot of money and didn't want to buy a cheap Elizabeth Duke piece of jewellery from Argos or some awful Gossip watch from QVC, so I bought the iron. If I'd bought chocolates she'd have said I was ruining her figure (she loved chocolates, though). She used to love soap but had so many bars of soap the bathroom was all cluttered up with them all piled high. It used to p*ss me off when she bought soap from Lush in the shape of a watermelon / chocolate cake / pineapple and it cost a fortune. I once bought her a hula hoop and aerobics DVD which she strangely she loved (she was a dancer). As a joke I got her some leg warmers for the Flashdance look!

This sounds like a men are from mars, women are from venus moment, Julius... you missed the subtext! General rule with us women - unless we've specifically asked for it or spelled out a general preference as a present, practical is not the way to go.

Could be worse, you could be married to my clueless Brother-in-law who once kindly bought his wife 2 tins of Dulux Lemon Fizz emulsion paint as a birthday present. no kidding, he came in from work telling her that he had bought her something "REALLY SPECIAL" that he knew she wanted for her birthday, then proceeded to give her the 2 tins of paint. he really didn't get why she almost smacked him right between the eyes with them. He just kept saying but it's the colour you picked for Kitchen honest, see I even wrote it down so I wouldn't forget.

Even to this day, he truly, still doesn't get what he did wrong.

But I thought it is the thought that counts! I mean, she was really complaining and complaining about how the flex on the iron was fraying, exposing the wires underneath (which were encased in plastic so in my view they weren't dangerous at all). I was passing by a Robert Dyas store and saw the iron on display in the window so I bought one. It wasn't even cheap! At the time I didn't have a lot of money and didn't want to buy a cheap Elizabeth Duke piece of jewellery from Argos or some awful Gossip watch from QVC, so I bought the iron. If I'd bought chocolates she'd have said I was ruining her figure (she loved chocolates, though). She used to love soap but had so many bars of soap the bathroom was all cluttered up with them all piled high. It used to p*ss me off when she bought soap from Lush in the shape of a watermelon / chocolate cake / pineapple and it cost a fortune. I once bought her a hula hoop and aerobics DVD which she strangely she loved (she was a dancer). As a joke I got her some leg warmers for the Flashdance look!

Oh Julius! I take it the two of you are no longer an item?!?

I'm in the minority here as I love a practical present! On the list for this year is a toolbox full of tools! Gift giving isn't like it used to be where we saved ourselves until xmas and birthdays to have something special. I buy whatever I want when I want it. So unless someone has put a lot of thought into a gift they know I will use, I would rather it be something I need. But to be honest, I'm not overly into receiving gifts. I would rather it be all about experiences and making memories.

Latest posts

Back