Kelly Hoppen

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Patsy

Registered Shopper
Just seen she has been diagnosed with breast cancer after ignoring calls for breast screening for 8 years.

She was interviewed on television this morning and has apparently been given the “all clear” recently which is obviously excellent news.

I am pleased that Kelly has been given the all clear, breast cancer and treatment is brutal. But, everything Kelly has said from her initial appointment to getting a call back the following day, to having the procedure the next day, then getting another call the next day from her oncologist … is just NOT what happens to us on the NHS. We have a 2 week wait, then another wait if scans or biopsies are needed, then another wait for the results, then another wait until treatment plan, then another wait until treatment starts. The whole process from diagnosis to mastectomy/lumpectomy to starting chemotherapy can take up to 3 months. Not dissing the NHS but the waiting following each appointment is the worse thing.

I am pleased that Kelly has been given the all clear, breast cancer and treatment is brutal. But, everything Kelly has said from her initial appointment to getting a call back the following day, to having the procedure the next day, then getting another call the next day from her oncologist … is just NOT what happens to us on the NHS. We have a 2 week wait, then another wait if scans or biopsies are needed, then another wait for the results, then another wait until treatment plan, then another wait until treatment starts. The whole process from diagnosis to mastectomy/lumpectomy to starting chemotherapy can take up to 3 months. Not dissing the NHS but the waiting following each appointment is the worse thing.
I'm so sorry to hear that miaandmum. I too have been through this and I saw a consultant within 72hours of seeing my gp. From there I had scan, biopsy, the lot within that appt and came out with a date for mastectomy. From start to operation was 7 weeks. (Chemo was to follow). I honestly couldn't fault my treatment. That was eleven years ago. I was treated at the Clatterbridge Centre for Oncology, amazing place. My Macmillan nurse was my saviour during this time! Amazing lady.

Healthcare has all but dried up since Covid. My sister had advanced Ovarian Cancer 5/6 years ago. She was so big she looked like she was expecting quads. She could hardly walk. Her local hospital just scanned her then sent her home for weeks. I took her to my local hospital and they treated her. She got the all clear recently. Now its happening to a friend of hers. I dont know how to help her because she lives hundreds of miles away now. Anather nightmare.

I'd be very surprised if Kells treatment was NHS

I'm so sorry to hear that miaandmum. I too have been through this and I saw a consultant within 72hours of seeing my gp. From there I had scan, biopsy, the lot within that appt and came out with a date for mastectomy. From start to operation was 7 weeks. (Chemo was to follow). I honestly couldn't fault my treatment. That was eleven years ago. I was treated at the Clatterbridge Centre for Oncology, amazing place. My Macmillan nurse was my saviour during this time! Amazing lady.
Its all good now Cashers - it was 6 years ago. I do think the waiting is worse now though as more people are being diagnosed with cancer, there is less money in the NHS, people leaving the NHS and the struggle to recruit in certain areas. Theres just not the capacity any more to deal quicker with the higher number of people being diagnosed unfortunately its the knock on effect. Treatment once started is brilliant!

I'd be very surprised if Kells treatment was NHS
That was my point - it obviously wasnt. If I had the money I would go private too.

Its all good now Cashers - it was 6 years ago. I do think the waiting is worse now though as more people are being diagnosed with cancer, there is less money in the NHS, people leaving the NHS and the struggle to recruit in certain areas. Theres just not the capacity any more to deal quicker with the higher number of people being diagnosed unfortunately its the knock on effect. Treatment once started is brilliant!
It's all over the NHS. Tying to get an appointment at our GP surgery is a nightmare. You get on the phone as soon as they open at 8.30, number 8 in the queue,get to 4 and it cuts off. Ring back straight away no appointments. I was told to put a complaint in but then you are considered difficult.
Hubby has glaucoma and should have had his follow up two months ago. He finally, after a week of trying to get the phone answered at the Eye clinic,was told yes they were behind and his consultant only works two days a week!! He was given the secretary's phone number and explained his problem. She rang back with a further number to speak to a triage nurse who will decide if he can have an urgent appointment.

Latest posts

Back