Looks like things are all going a bit bandy at QVC?...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Nikki

Registered Shopper
QVC was considered by me, my friends & family as being the best shopping channel, the 1 that others in the UK aspire to be like not so long ago. Customer service was fantastic, deals were great, p&p always a bit pricey but hey, got superb deals with that factored in and the no quibble 30 day MBG with fairly swift refunds if returned.

In the last several months it all seems to have "gawn a bit bandy" as they say imo.

Ridiculous errr "fashions" in colours you would need a sturdy set of sunglasses to wear most of the time

Frequent "fashion" clearances when they used to only do them during the few days after Christmas & very occasionally thereafter

TSV's continuously reappearing for some time in unrelated shows as hot picks or on easy pay & special offers, (kinda wonder why they bothered doing them as a TSV in the 1st place), like the undead in MJ's thriller video

Presenters acting well..."wierd" on air, begging for tweets & reading them out like mantras instead of telling viewers about the products

People waiting for their refunds or items to be collected by courier for weeks

Extortionate p&p charges considering other retailers offer free p&p for relatively low orders and often a free returns label too & offer infinitely more desirable fashion items!

& Then I discover through my own research, that one of their highly favoured retailers allegedly, according to mainstream press articles & indeed his own company's stock listing, uses the skins of unborn lambs for his "upmarket" furrier range. Don't ask how they "extract" the skins it's utterly horrifying! Just google "Denis Basso Broadtail protest" if you want to find out more about this retailer QVC seem happy to embrace & expand his money making empire!

Then the disgusting way they have treated Graham allegedly & can't seem to be able to make up their minds if they want to do business with him through affiliation or not! Meanwhile the poor guy is supposed to just wait, loose business with devastating financial consequences to him!

Needless to say neither myself or my friends & family are buying anything from QVC now until they make a proper effort & clean up their act!

Is it me guys or is something seriously amiss???

Last edited:
I have said before and will repeat. QVC is a dinosaur they are set in their ways. When things get tough they fall back on the tried and tested brands and products which sell for them.

If X sells then keep pushing it again and again and again and again. As long as people keep buying they will do nothing about the postage, I insist they make money from it and always have. Its something to do with the 30 day MBG. In the old days we had catalogues which offered instalments on everything, the prices where always higher than if paying in a shop in one go. QVC with their constant easy pay and postage costs are the modern version. I can see it only getting worse as people tighten their belts even more. The only bargains now are the TSVs, everything else is usually the same price as you can buy in a store.

Most of the items I've bought elsewhere in recent times were cheaper than any shopping channel, honestly, with the exception of a decent TSV but that's a rarity nowadays & usually only in beauty.

I could not agree with all the comments here more, you have all "hit the nail on the head". I used to quite enjoy watching Q like so many of us on here, but lately feel they are beginning to lose the plot. Presenters appearing "tied" to their I Pads, imploring us to tweet, boring tsvs, increasing prices, ott p & p charges, I really think they will struggle if they don't change their ways. I find I hardly watch now as it just seems so boring, and prefer reading posts on here that are far more entertaining!

The refurb of the studios, even though they had to move from Marco Polo House as lease was up, didn't have to cost so much. It's been manic buy buy buy ever since. Not a pleasure to watch any more. And the gardening shows :yawn::yawn::yawn: why have Jilly, Richard and guest with a rake and then show a video of the rake being utilised whilst Richard stands there with his hands in his pockets!?

I could not agree with all the comments here more, you have all "hit the nail on the head". I used to quite enjoy watching Q like so many of us on here, but lately feel they are beginning to lose the plot. Presenters appearing "tied" to their I Pads, imploring us to tweet, boring tsvs, increasing prices, ott p & p charges, I really think they will struggle if they don't change their ways. I find I hardly watch now as it just seems so boring, and prefer reading posts on here that are far more entertaining!

Such a shame as they used to be really good back in the day. The stage seemed to be set for them to be up there with the best of postal shopping retailers but their competitors are reigning supreme now imo. I agree the forum is way more entertaining & makes the Q shows hilarious to watch sometimes in relation to the comments but alas for all the wrong reasons for QVC. I sometimes watch the health & beauty shows but then find the said items cheaper & in larger sizes too sometimes on the internet. Ally Young kept saying that a 50ml pot of Decleor body masage balm was a salon size & what a bargain it was. REALLY?? How come I found the exact same balm in a 500ml size for literally a few quid more on the web?!

Most of the TSV's aren't such a good bargain nowadays. I don't consider £10 off a good bargain. Sometimes we just save around the price of the p & p. The great value TSV's are long gone! Don't get me going on the cost of the beauty TSV's now. They are usually around the £50 mark then extortionate p & p on top. IMO they have been losing the plot for a while now. Just noticed today's TSV , £13 saving , not even that because it will come back at introductory price. £7.95 p & p is taking the P.

Its all been said really. Thank goodness we have the facility to shop around and check prices.
Not only are the TSV not particularly good value but they are so ****** boring. Q stock so many brands yet its the same ones on a loop week after week. I would love a bobbi brown TSV, oh well i can dream

A Bobbi Brown TSV would be really tempting.
The clothing is a bit samey - does everything have to be made from polyester and have embellishments all over it?

I hate the new tweeting craze - I don't want to hear lots of fawning comments from people who just want their name to be heard on TV.
Northern Nights, all the kitchen gear, the stupid SBC guk and the rubbish electronics are a waste of time. I am bored of some of the guests - stuck up Alexis, the Decleor and Elemis women who spout endless loops of unintelligible pseudo science and the condescending Kelly Hoppen.

I am so sick of hearing about the 30 day money back guarantee. If I order something, I know straightaway or within a few days whether or not I want it. I don't need to dither for a month!

Will we miss them if they are gone from our screens? I won't. I keep create and craft on in the background now. So much nicer and friendlier. No push, push, sell, sell. Instead for the most part, it looks like the presenters all have a really great time. It's a winner in this household, even though I'm not buying from them. I'm certainly not buying from Q or IW any more. Everything I have bought has been delivered broken, or of sub par quality. So to avoid further disappointment, no more TV shopping for me.

I agree MaryA, I like to watch some of the shows on C&C. I usually record the ones I want to learn from like when Phill Martin is on, so I can whip through the selling bit and concentrate on the crafting. As he shows different techniques over his shows in a day I am learning more and more about Serif for example.

Things do seem to have gone downhill and be more repetitive too. Sort of related - got a Boden catalogue this morning, not a big fan of them either but noticed they have introduced a new policy - you can return worn items you're disappointed in for up to a year after purchase. They do mention a similar qualification to QVC that repeated late returns of used items that indicate abusing the system will be spotted and stopped, but still it is interesting that if other companies do start to offer more things similar to the QVC mbg it could be difficult for QVC (especially given their higher p and p).

I don't like the sound of the unborn lamb thing. It sounds utterly horrible! And why do they have to be unborn? I think that's going way over the line in terms of acceptability. Killing unborn lambs to line the pockets of Mr growling, white gnashers Basso! I do find him quite a funny character.

They are saving me a fortune at the moment, it is so boring I never watch.I'll look out for the Liz Earle TSV towards the end of the month but it will have to be really good value to tempt me.I either order from the LE web site ( postage free with the monthly offer) or off the shelf @ John Lewis.The first thing I look at now are the P&P charges--we won't go there again.I ordered something from Amazon it was delivered in 3 days FREE.

Things do seem to have gone downhill and be more repetitive too. Sort of related - got a Boden catalogue this morning, not a big fan of them either but noticed they have introduced a new policy - you can return worn items you're disappointed in for up to a year after purchase. They do mention a similar qualification to QVC that repeated late returns of used items that indicate abusing the system will be spotted and stopped, but still it is interesting that if other companies do start to offer more things similar to the QVC mbg it could be difficult for QVC (especially given their higher p and p).

It appears that Boden make the returns policy clear, i.e 'abuse' of the system?

I have said before and will repeat. QVC is a dinosaur they are set in their ways. When things get tough they fall back on the tried and tested brands and products which sell for them.

If X sells then keep pushing it again and again and again and again. As long as people keep buying they will do nothing about the postage, I insist they make money from it and always have. Its something to do with the 30 day MBG. In the old days we had catalogues which offered instalments on everything, the prices where always higher than if paying in a shop in one go. QVC with their constant easy pay and postage costs are the modern version. I can see it only getting worse as people tighten their belts even more. The only bargains now are the TSVs, everything else is usually the same price as you can buy in a store.

well sometimes you get better value from the expensive mail order catalouges. the dyson mini tsv was £10 more from the mail order catalouge but you had a year to pay,free delivery as usual and the added value tools. its a sad day when the very expensive mail oder catalouges are cheaper and oh the offer lasts a lot longer than a day and free returns to boot.
qvc also has a big brother syndrome hence the bullying tactics and the sycophants on face book in paticular keeleys friends!

never been an avid QVC viewer anyway. but i watch the odd 10 mins here & there , its mainly bed linen & clothing when I tune in, no interest in either to be honest

QVC are shooting themselves in the foot if only they could see it. I know some people on this forum are anti-Amazon because of the tax evasion/avoidance thing but I don't think they can be beaten on service. I bought a beautiful Giglio charcoal grey and black leather handbag from them on Tuesday evening with the free SuperSaver option and it arrived this morning. I'm not very good at the metric measurements and it is bigger than I had expected but so much the better imho. Comparable to the pebble leather of Tig bags and just £39.99, free P&P, arrived in days, and free returns if needed. Go compare QVC.

For me the benefits / attraction of QVC was the presentation. Knowledgeable and informative guests with a bit of wit and banter, good, clear demonstrations and I loved the colour and application techniques of the make up demos, plus the unusual, hard to find and truly exclusive ranges with genuine VFM.
With some rare exceptions I don't see any of this any more.
As for P and P -as Donna and others have said - it's simply ridiculous and removes most of the value of any discount.

Latest posts

Back