New Yankee/Woodwick Candle Items

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I even like listening to strangers comment when they smell candles in shops - not that I lurk around suspiciously!

I often strike up conversations with people in candle shops... about the scents and also to use the lid of the standard type of jars to get the best idea about the lit scent rather than sniffing the wax.

I find some of the aftershavy ones can be overpowering and not in a good way. I don't like Midsummer Night (Drakker Noir) and I don't like Black Coconut. Cannot bear the ones that smell like laundry powder. Hate the lavender scented ones (furniture polish), hate most of the cake ones (smell stale and sickly to me), don't like Cinnamon Stick but do like Sparkling Cinnamon. Don't like most vanilla candles.

One I was itching to buy but couldn't justify was Sweet Apple - it really does smell like a Mac Red apple to me. Generally like fruity scents (but while I used to like Black Cherry I now don't, the Fig smells horribly yeasty to me, and don't like the Cranberry scents or most of the Lemon ones (furniture polish again), Peach scents (furniture polish too)); floral scents (don't like Fresh Cut Roses as it smells fake to me, same with the Lavender); seaside/ozone scents are probably my favourite.

Bottom line is that we don't all pick up the same perfume notes as strongly, and we don't all respond to the same perfume notes as strongly. There would be precious few scented candles to enjoy if we all liked the same sort of thing.

Sorry to let you down. Yes, I am London based, however I was in Newcastle upon Tyne at the weekend and detoured to Shiremoor for BM on purpose. It's a pretty big store with lighting, kitchenware and all sorts.
I thought exactly the same as AndiK, may, so googled the BM shops only to find they were in the North. There is never anything going cheap in my corner of SW London so my hopes were raised for a moment there, only to be dashed. Mind you I never venture very far to go shopping.

I like most of the ones you mention in your post above, but cannot take vanilla if it smells like it should be in the middle of a sponge. Black cherry, which so many love, I simply cannot smell when it is burning so my nose is obviously defective! No role as a chandler for me. I agree about cinnamon stick, I find it very strong and just one note, whereas sparkling cinnamon is great. Sometimes when I am pairing mine up, it is not finding something to complement the candle but to calm it down, LOL.

:mysmilie_59:

I often strike up conversations with people in candle shops... about the scents and also to use the lid of the standard type of jars to get the best idea about the lit scent rather than sniffing the wax.

I find some of the aftershavy ones can be overpowering and not in a good way. I don't like Midsummer Night (Drakker Noir) and I don't like Black Coconut. Cannot bear the ones that smell like laundry powder. Hate the lavender scented ones (furniture polish), hate most of the cake ones (smell stale and sickly to me), don't like Cinnamon Stick but do like Sparkling Cinnamon. Don't like most vanilla candles.

One I was itching to buy but couldn't justify was Sweet Apple - it really does smell like a Mac Red apple to me. Generally like fruity scents (but while I used to like Black Cherry I now don't, the Fig smells horribly yeasty to me, and don't like the Cranberry scents or most of the Lemon ones (furniture polish again), Peach scents (furniture polish too)); floral scents (don't like Fresh Cut Roses as it smells fake to me, same with the Lavender); seaside/ozone scents are probably my favourite.

Bottom line is that we don't all pick up the same perfume notes as strongly, and we don't all respond to the same perfume notes as strongly. There would be precious few scented candles to enjoy if we all liked the same sort of thing.

I'm definitely with you on disliking the rose smells as none of them ever smell true to me, but I must say I like most other smells - the ones I like least are the fruity/floral ones.

My most favourite ones in smell types are:

Festive - Red Berry & Cedar/North Pole
Food & Spice - Strawberry Buttercream
Fresh - Cottage Breeze (ooh I wish they'd bring that bad boy back)/Lavender Vanilla/Stormwatch
Floral - not my favourite type, but anything that genuinely smells like lilac will do it for me, so Lilac Blossoms!
Fruity - again, not my favourite type, but I lurve Pineapple Cilantro

I no longer have favourites as they just discontinue them!!!!!! Bring back Evening Air and Willow Breeze, I say.

I no longer have favourites as they just discontinue them!!!!!! Bring back Evening Air and Willow Breeze, I say.

Oh my god, I'd forgotten Evening Air, that one was amazing - Midnight Cove was another one I loved! So true, anything I love always gets discontinued, humph

Ha ha, I was beginning to wonder what you DO like ... but I am just the same really. Fussy beggars, aren't we? Generally, it's not that I hate them but that I find them "samey". Like you, I'm not keen on washing powder ones but, again, because they all smell the same to me and every range seems to have them. Despite, or maybe because of, all the millions of new candles that Yankee produce, it is hard to find something "different".

Oh my god, I'd forgotten Evening Air, that one was amazing - Midnight Cove was another one I loved! So true, anything I love always gets discontinued, humph

I'm not familiar with these ones, but I loved Early Sunrise. I kept hanging on for a better price and missed out entirely :headbang:

Ha ha, Vesta curry. I found out recently they still have them on Amazon!

Gorgeous, our local £land sells them and so does our Costcutters but over £2 each.

As someone said earlier we all have different tastes, both myself and oldest son like the cinnamon (smells like Big Red chewing gum). I hated the Salted Caramel, thought it smelled like curry, he loves it, I had to buy a few for him when I found out they had discontinued it.

Personally I don't like the food or christmas scents they all give me a headache.

i only ever liked the florals for many years they were my favourites and that was all i bought. but since the menapause i love the foodie ones and last year was super imo for foodies scents. vanilla bourbon, gingerbread maple and christmas memories are yankee heaven for me. i also finally got round to buying and burning bunny cake and cotton candy. so delicious.

I'm not familiar with these ones, but I loved Early Sunrise. I kept hanging on for a better price and missed out entirely :headbang:

I loved that one too - it was subtle but with a great throw. Yep another one I liked that was discontinued - I used to like Sun & Sand as well, so beachy!

Gorgeous, our local £land sells them and so does our Costcutters but over £2 each.

As someone said earlier we all have different tastes, both myself and oldest son like the cinnamon (smells like Big Red chewing gum). I hated the Salted Caramel, thought it smelled like curry, he loves it, I had to buy a few for him when I found out they had discontinued it.

Personally I don't like the food or christmas scents they all give me a headache.

Oh, I must pop to Poundland, thanks.

i only ever liked the florals for many years they were my favourites and that was all i bought. but since the menapause i love the foodie ones and last year was super imo for foodies scents. vanilla bourbon, gingerbread maple and christmas memories are yankee heaven for me. i also finally got round to buying and burning bunny cake and cotton candy. so delicious.

I nearly bought Gingerbread Maple in Boundary Mills - it doesn't have that stale cakey smell at all for me, but a nice tempting spicey and sweet smell... Didn't like Vanilla Bourbon (sniffed in a different shop at full price).
I am kicking myself for not buying the Strawberry Lemon Ice when it was kicking around.

by the way... I just saw there is a Turkey & Stuffing candle on ebay - OMG - I shudder to think what that smells like! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/232102389376?clk_rvr_id=1111318253578&rmvSB=true

Ugh YES, salted caramel was a huge disappointment for me. I like foodie scents and looooooove caramel in any format, but I burnt a melt of the salted caramel and everything in my house stank of it for days - definitely a whiff of curry. When I went out of the house I could smell it on me :mysmilie_10:

I love Bunny cake. I was surprised that I liked it as it is so sweet. Is Candy cotton similar?

I nearly bought Gingerbread Maple in Boundary Mills - it doesn't have that stale cakey smell at all for me, but a nice tempting spicey and sweet smell... Didn't like Vanilla Bourbon (sniffed in a different shop at full price).
I am kicking myself for not buying the Strawberry Lemon Ice when it was kicking around.

by the way... I just saw there is a Turkey & Stuffing candle on ebay - OMG - I shudder to think what that smells like! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/232102389376?clk_rvr_id=1111318253578&rmvSB=true

eww turkey stuffing...gingerbread maple is really "egg nog" i never would have thought i would like egg nog smells but its gorgeous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back