Not angry at all...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Frazzled

Sense of humour intact
Sorry everybody, nothing to rant about, just fed up with feeling sad every time I see the title of the previous thread, I haven't read it but can guess the content.

I haven't read it either Frazzled. It's head in the sand for me. I know these terrible things happen, but I can't confront it. I could literally kill people who are cruel to animals and if I saw someone doing anything cruel I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to contain my inner she wolf!!!!!!

I avoid anything with animals or children. I am still haunted by one scene from the film 'Sophie's Choice'!

My mother-in-law on the other hand, loved misery.

When 27 was two weeks old she stopped breathing. Himself was in the kitchen & did not hear me call so I walked with baby held upside down, slapping her back as hard as I dared towards the kitchen. Upside down she'd splutter & gasp, right way up she became rigid. Anyway, we got her breathing & to hospital.
When we arrived home, mother-in-law called with a magazine that "You just have to read!"
It was a 'Woman' or 'Woman's Own' article about the devastation of cot death complete with photos.
No, not for me.

Last edited:
How terrifying Mim, must have played on your mind for ages.

I've never forgotten the shock factor of Sophie's Choice either, one of those films that stay with you.

It did haunt me!
We had just come in & I was about to feed her. She was rigid in the carry cot.
What if I hadn't looked in at that moment?
The hospital kept us there for the weekend & gave us an apnea monitor on discharge.
I tell you, when that alarm went off, as it sometimes accidentally did, I was like a rat with daps on!

Yes!

I guess it's a local saying.
We call plimsolls 'daps' - onomatopoeic & all that.

Sophie's choice!!!! OMG! The most painful thing I've ever watched! I can still remember the absolute horror I felt when I first saw it. Needless to say I've only seen it the once and wish I never had!

I have heard of Sophie's Choice, but don't know what it is about. Can someone tell me cos I am curious now.

Sophie's choice (plural Sophie's choices). A choice between two persons or things that will result in the death or destruction of the person or thing not chosen.

A mother is forced by the nazis to choose between her children, which one to save. Broke my heart watching the film.

Traumatised me, never watched it again.

Last edited:
Thank you DollyD. Thats one film I won't be in a hurry to watch then. Sounds awful.

Sophie's choice (plural Sophie's choices). A choice between two persons or things that will result in the death or destruction of the person or thing not chosen.

A mother is forced by the nazis to choose between her children, which one to save. Broke my heart watching the film.

Traumatised me, never watched it again.

pmsl @ daps!! Haven't heard that for a while - thanks for the giggle! We had a conversation about stupid Welsh words on hols - like 'shunk' - describing a scruffy person - heard that Minim?!!

Well I have no idea what thread you're referring to and I am not even going to look. When it comes to cruelty (especially kids and animals) ignorance is bliss as far as I am concerned. I can't do anything to help that particular situation, and I will just stress over it, so it's best to avoid it at all costs. I even have to fast forward through all the charity appeal adverts. Am such a sook (rhymes with book - is that another Welsh thing Minim?!!)

In fact, I often wonder why people draw attention to these articles. Yes we know it's shocking but it's just reinforcing the cruelty over and over. There was a particular gruesome photo of a battered dog on FB some months ago, and everyone was reposting saying how gaulled they were by it. I cried every time I saw it and in the end told everyone in my news feed that they were sick for re-posting and to bl**dy well stop it!! NOt that I read it anymore, but the Daily Mail is always full of these stories.

I wasn't expecting any responses to this thread as it was a statement, but it's been interesting.

I keep up to date with what's happening in the world in general but I also skip the adverts and numerous news items. I hate the term "world weary" but it does sum it up, I do care but had enough for my head to cope with.

I wasn't expecting any responses to this thread as it was a statement, but it's been interesting.

I keep up to date with what's happening in the world in general but I also skip the adverts and numerous news items. I hate the term "world weary" but it does sum it up, I do care but had enough for my head to cope with.

And that about sums it up for me too! I care too much, this is why I can't look anymore.

Latest posts

Back