Not angry at all...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I loves my daps, I does. I wears 'em with my bathers. Go on, Frazzled, there's some more googling for you. :happy:

I don't read these 'cruelty' stories either.

It's not that I want to live in some giant rainbow bubble, sheltered from inhumane behaviour, it's that I cannot cope with having it sensationalised and rammed into my face every day.

Anyway, I loathe the Daily Mail.

Another film to avoid is the one that starred Bjork - it's called Dancer in the Dark. Shudders...

pmsl @ daps!! Haven't heard that for a while - thanks for the giggle! We had a conversation about stupid Welsh words on hols - like 'shunk' - describing a scruffy person - heard that Minim?!!

No, that's a new one for me.

Am such a sook (rhymes with book - is that another Welsh thing Minim?!!)
:confused2:
Never heard of it.

There's sorry I am :nod:

I love Wenglish. I did have the book at one time.

Ah, yes your bathers (swimsuit Frazzled).

I grew up using words like daps, bathers & cwtch (cuddle Frazzled, though it can mean a small space).

Didn't like 'The Deer Hunter' either
.... or 'My Girl'
... or ' The Green Mile'

Heck! Lassie used to make me cry.

"I grew up using words like daps, bathers & cwtch (cuddle Frazzled, though it can mean a small space)."

How should cwtch actually be spelled though? I hadn't seen it written down until recently and no matter which way it is spelled, it doesn't seem right. Cwtsh can't be right as there is no combination of s and h in the welsh language. Cwtch wouldn't be pronounced the way it is in english as the combination of ch in welsh, as we all know, sounds as if one is clearing one's throat (ewww). Someone enlighten me please:)

I avoid anything with animals or children. I am still haunted by one scene from the film 'Sophie's Choice'!

My mother-in-law on the other hand, loved misery.

When 27 was two weeks old she stopped breathing. Himself was in the kitchen & did not hear me call so I walked with baby held upside down, slapping her back as hard as I dared towards the kitchen. Upside down she'd splutter & gasp, right way up she became rigid. Anyway, we got her breathing & to hospital.

You poor thing min. Just reading that makes my blood run cold and doesn't bear thinking about.

I did the buy the book Sophie's Choice but still haven't plucked up the courage to finish reading it. It must have been in the bookcase for 20 years. The trouble with me is that whether I read about or see atrocities, I just can't ever get them out of my mind and many years down the line I still have nightmares about them. As Frazzled said, there is only so much stomach churning horror my head can take before I implode.

How should cwtch actually be spelled though? I hadn't seen it written down until recently and no matter which way it is spelled, it doesn't seem right. Cwtsh can't be right as there is no combination of s and h in the welsh language. Cwtch wouldn't be pronounced the way it is in english as the combination of ch in welsh, as we all know, sounds as if one is clearing one's throat (ewww). Someone enlighten me please:)
I dunno!
But I looked it up
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cwtch

Cwtch, or Cwtsh, has been adopted by many in the cross-over language of Wenglish, particularly popular in the south Wales valleys.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6521971.stm

Ah, I'm familiar with cwtch, and one or two others. My sister lives in Wales with her Welsh husband and I've been visiting since the 60's. They live in one of the many locations called Pandy which I learned means a mill where "fulling" of wool/cloth was carried out.:sun:

Quite often when I go, the P on the road sign has been adapted to an R by naughty Welsh people! :devil:

I read Sophie's Choice long ago.

The film that totally kept me awake and crying most of the night, The Boy In The Striped Pajamas. I swear it was two years ago I watched on TV, never ever again. I warn people not to watch the ****** thing.

I read Sophie's Choice long ago.

The film that totally kept me awake and crying most of the night, The Boy In The Striped Pajamas. I swear it was two years ago I watched on TV, never ever again. I warn people not to watch the ****** thing.

I watched it on TV not too long ago, it is harrowing but I would probably watch it again.

Good grief. You know those coffee table books that come out from time to time, with titles like '100 of the Best Movies Ever Made'?

I think we should put together one of our own, called '100 Harrowing Films I Vow Never to Watch'.

There must be lots of people out there who'd want to know what to avoid before they get dragged into a cinema.

Although it was a long time ago, The Elephant Man affected me. They were so cruel, it was so sad. Even my big, strong unemotional Dad said after, 'Don't ask me to watch that again!'

I've seen all these films :eek:

I wouldn't dream of going to the cinema now without checking it out first.
I've totally lost my bottle.
If any TV film/programme gets a bit much for me I either make a cuppa or watch what's happening on the TV by looking at the reflection in the window.
Mad I know, but it somehow distances me from what is happening

I like reading tense thrillers though. When they get a bit much I switch books on my Kindle & come back to the first book the next night.

I've seen all these films :eek:
I like reading tense thrillers though. When they get a bit much I switch books on my Kindle & come back to the first book the next night.

You have more control with a book, though, don't you?

With a film, the directors have so many techniques to rack up the tension - thumping heartbeat music, disorientating flashbacks, close ups of fear-gripped expressions, all that stuff - and it's blasted at you at high speed.

At least with a book you can intersperse it with reading Closer** magazine, or something equally vapid, which takes the sting out!

** Disclaimer: Use of this term does not imply that I would be caught dead reading Closer magazine. Not even someone else's. It's trash. Everyone says so. So there.

Lol
Love the disclaimer sublime.

You're right, there's no escape bar shutting your eyes in the cinema.
Reminds me of when I saw 'The Exorcist'

Dah-Dah-DAAAH :eek:

Innocent as a babe, we wandered into the cinema to get out of the rain while visiting my brother-in-law in Oxford.
That film broke me:sweat:
I'd been used to Hammer Horror. This was a whole new world. Boy, were my eyes shut!

Not that I want to bury my head in the sand but I have lost count the amount of times I have stumbled across something that has gone onto automatic play in my mind. You can either be sitting trying to have a bit of a chill or lying in bed trying to nod off and boof it's there. It's the animal ones that can give me gyp.
I study Military History and obviously come across right horrors but most of the time I can get it in the right perspective but not with animals.

piper

Not that I want to bury my head in the sand but I have lost count the amount of times I have stumbled across something that has gone onto automatic play in my mind. You can either be sitting trying to have a bit of a chill or lying in bed trying to nod off and boof it's there. It's the animal ones that can give me gyp.
I study Military History and obviously come across right horrors but most of the time I can get it in the right perspective but not with animals.

piper

Exactly piper, that's exactly what happens to me and then the stomach churning horror is as fresh as when I first saw whatever it might be.

Latest posts

Back