Oh dear Craig,

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Whenever any perceived criticism is made of gay people, they and the PC Brigade immediately jump to their defense in aggressive defence, as if their very existence were under threat. Well get this: The OP was NOT being homophobic, merely raising points about a presenter's flamboyant behaviour and making a reference to their sexuality. I personally think their point was very interesting. I don't think there is anything wrong with being gay, and what people do in private is their own business, yet I do find it strange how gay men often seem to be predisposed to such strange, theatrical, effeminate and attention-seeking behaviour. It could be many are not, but we only notice the ones who are. I'm not sure. But it is interesting and I don't see why it shouldn't be called into question. A few years ago I found myself inadvertently stuck in the middle of a gay pride festival in Brighton. Stereotypes abound, I thought I'd stumbled upon a Village People lookalikes contest! Muscular men, leather waistcoats, handcuffs, drag queens and lip gloss bitches. Seriously?! Do gay people need that sort of image? I think they can probably do without it. I for one did not like the tacky, tawdry displays all in the worst possible taste, darling! I even think the notion of gay pride is strange. Why should they be "proud" of that? They certainly don't need to be ashamed, they just need to live their lives with grace and discretion, rather than shoving their sexuality in people's faces and forcing it down people's throats. Sorry, but when it comes to gay festivals, I'm quite anal!

It's not about being politically correct. For me, it's about treating people as individuals.

We don't *know* if craig is gay because he hasn't ever given any indication either way - as is his right. So why does his personality have to be linked with an assumption that he is gay?

That's the definition of prejudice in its original sense - to pre-judge...

There are many people who bubble over with enthusiasm just as there are others who are more reserved. That's their personality and is completely separate to their sexual orientation.

Unless they make it open season for discussion, I think we should give them the respect they deserve and leave it out.

No-one here ever links Ann's, Simon's , Julia's sexual orientation with their presentation style - so why the need to do that with Craig? That's my point really.

I think we should give them the respect they deserve and leave it out.

Does that apply to your comments on what we should and shouldn't be posting or not?

But I'm not talking about your personal sexual orientation, am I?

Craig's business - unless he wants to share.

Whenever any perceived criticism is made of gay people, they and the PC Brigade immediately jump to their defense in aggressive defence, as if their very existence were under threat. Well get this: The OP was NOT being homophobic, merely raising points about a presenter's flamboyant behaviour and making a reference to their sexuality. I personally think their point was very interesting. I don't think there is anything wrong with being gay, and what people do in private is their own business, yet I do find it strange how gay men often seem to be predisposed to such strange, theatrical, effeminate and attention-seeking behaviour. It could be many are not, but we only notice the ones who are. I'm not sure. But it is interesting and I don't see why it shouldn't be called into question. A few years ago I found myself inadvertently stuck in the middle of a gay pride festival in Brighton. Stereotypes abound, I thought I'd stumbled upon a Village People lookalikes contest! Muscular men, leather waistcoats, handcuffs, drag queens and lip gloss bitches. Seriously?! Do gay people need that sort of image? I think they can probably do without it. I for one did not like the tacky, tawdry displays all in the worst possible taste, darling! I even think the notion of gay pride is strange. Why should they be "proud" of that? They certainly don't need to be ashamed, they just need to live their lives with grace and discretion, rather than shoving their sexuality in people's faces and forcing it down people's throats. Sorry, but when it comes to gay festivals, I'm quite anal!

Thank you Julius, for a sensible response, and no doubt the thoughts of many.

I'm fed up now of having every word scrutinised by a handful of posters to leap on - "why do I assume", "I should not assume" and getting up themselves with judge and pre-judge etc etc etc - I rarely take people to task on what they've commented, but give my own opinion and interpretation instead. If I disagree I say so, but I object to being told what I should or shouldn't say - that's not an opinion that's a command.

I'm of the age where being PC holds no water for me and never will, as we seemed to have muddled along quite nicely before it was ever invented. I was brought up with manners, not to be rude or to offend, and if offence has been taken on here, then quite simply that's your problem not mine. For fear of having yet another thread closed down, I'm bowing out now.

I couldn't give a monkeys if you mention my sexual orientation or not. I will, if it helps the argument - heterosexual. I'm just fed up with the PC brigade on this board who assume the moral high ground whenever it pleases them.

What do the self righteous hope to gain by jumping on every negative, tongue in cheek comment? That they're better than everyone else? Craig is in the public eye, and chooses to be so, so therefore he will be discussed on a public forum, I'm sure if someone over steps the mark we trust the moderators to step in, but they treat us as the adults we are, free to comment on a public forum about a public figure............and for the record Craig is gay and so camp he should change his name to Butlins.

It's not about being politically correct. For me, it's about treating people as individuals.

We don't *know* if craig is gay because he hasn't ever given any indication either way - as is his right. So why does his personality have to be linked with an assumption that he is gay?

That's the definition of prejudice in its original sense - to pre-judge...

There are many people who bubble over with enthusiasm just as there are others who are more reserved. That's their personality and is completely separate to their sexual orientation.

Unless they make it open season for discussion, I think we should give them the respect they deserve and leave it out.

No-one here ever links Ann's, Simon's , Julia's sexual orientation with their presentation style - so why the need to do that with Craig? That's my point really.

What a load of rubbish! It's quite well known that Craig is gay, and it's fairly obvious, at that! Anyone with the merest modicum of intelligence should be able to realise that! You might need to see him having sex on screen to be convinced but most of us do not (and probably would not want to). Besides, I'm not sure that would go down well on QVC - although some other channels might buy it! The OP was talking about his flamboyant behaviour in relation to his sexuality. Many gay men are flamboyant, just as I'm sure many are not.

Gosh! I remember once I wrote a thread called: "another gay guest," about how many of the guests on QVC are gay, and I had the PC Brigade criticising me for that. All I was doing was making an observation. Many QVC guests ARE gay. I just thought it was interesting to discuss it.

It's funny because I have just been for a 10-kilometre walk along the beach in Palanga, and as I was looking at the sand dunes, I thought of Craig, as I read on here a few years ago that he likes to go to a particular holiday destination where certain activities take place in the sand dunes. I don't think the same happens in Palanga! I was just thinking about ways to start my feature article. Funny how that popped into my mind.

Here is a pic of the beach I walked along today - it's a bit like the sand dunes Craig goes to!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back