Peter Simon joining TJC

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

So PS is selling Villemont, Cadola and a Schild tourbillon cyclone centred watch at £2000.
Hadn't seen the graphite Villemont automatic before. Presumably all Chinese made?

So PS is selling Villemont, Cadola and a Schild tourbillon cyclone centred watch at £2000.
Hadn't seen the graphite Villemont automatic before. Presumably all Chinese made?
Didn’t actually see the hour to confirm, but i would be certain even without looking that the tourbillon will be Chinese (you can get them for between £299 and £599 depending on the case and face). The Cadola (same owner as Nubeo) will either be Chinese or Miyota (Citizen) Japanese at best. Villemont is likely Swiss Made, though. Next time they’re on I’ll try to remember to look. Quite a markup isn’t it - say £300 (and that’s retail price as well) to £2000? That’s the reason these kinds of watches are sought out by the shopping channels and their suppliers.

Didn’t actually see the hour to confirm, but i would be certain even without looking that the tourbillon will be Chinese (you can get them for between £299 and £599 depending on the case and face). The Cadola (same owner as Nubeo) will either be Chinese or Miyota (Citizen) Japanese at best. Villemont is likely Swiss Made, though. Next time they’re on I’ll try to remember to look. Quite a markup isn’t it - say £300 (and that’s retail price as well) to £2000? That’s the reason these kinds of watches are sought out by the shopping channels and their suppliers.

I'm thinking it's a Hangzhou HZ3JZ0E automatic central tourbillon, same as is in the Aragon Divemaster central tourbillon.

Villemont is China made too, just a Swiss movement watch, although given it's also a Solar Time brand I wouldn't even trust that claim ;), it says it has a SW200-1 open heart movement inside, which it does look like it from what little i've seen, but must be one of the economy grades with the Novodiac shock absorber, rather than the incabloc that the higher grade SW200-1s have.

That's the difference between a proper reputable watchmaking brand and 90% off selly telly brands, or buying from a Jewellers as opposed to selly telly, you don't have to presume with the reputable watchmaking brands, as they make the watches and tell you where they're located and where the watches are made and more importantly the exact specifications of the watch, on the other hand with selly telly brands it's the exact opposite, often needs some serious investigation to figure out what the actual specifications of the watch you're buying are and where and by whom it was made.

When you have to spend a lot of time trying to find info on a brand and one of their watches with minimal success than that tells you a lot about the brand, and not in a positive way. ;)
We know that the likes of Earnshaw, Nubeo, Cadola, Duxet etc ultimately are owned by Solar Time in Kowloon, but that's just the offices, we haven't managed to find out which factory they are made/assembled in yet. Although i did see a video (will try and find it, but was few years back) of a guy touring a backstreet watch maker (really just assembler) in China, he was looking to see about getting watches to sell with his own brand name, and during the visit caught a glimpse of an AVI-8 watches being assembled, the place had absolutely no quality control and the place was filthy.

PS

BTW Instead of buying selly telly Chinese made watches, folks should go direct, there are a lot of reputable Chinese watch brands out there, which are easy enough to find on the internet and they offer way better selection of watches at a way better value than the likes of Swan & Edgar, Gamages, Eon, Heritor, Reign, Shield etc, etc.

That's the difference between a proper reputable watchmaking brand and 90% off selly telly brands, or buying from a Jewellers as opposed to selly telly, you don't have to presume with the reputable watchmaking brands, as they make the watches and tell you where they're located and where the watches are made and more importantly the exact specifications of the watch, on the other hand with selly telly brands it's the exact opposite, often needs some serious investigation to figure out what the actual specifications of the watch you're buying are and where and by whom it was made.

When you have to spend a lot of time trying to find info on a brand and one of their watches with minimal success than that tells you a lot about the brand, and not in a positive way. ;)
We know that the likes of Earnshaw, Nubeo, Cadola, Duxet etc ultimately are owned by Solar Time in Kowloon, but that's just the offices, we haven't managed to find out which factory they are made/assembled in yet. Although i did see a video (will try and find it, but was few years back) of a guy touring a backstreet watch maker (really just assembler) in China, he was looking to see about getting watches to sell with his own brand name, and during the visit caught a glimpse of an AVI-8 watches being assembled, the place had absolutely no quality control and the place was filthy.

PS

BTW Instead of buying selly telly Chinese made watches, folks should go direct, there are a lot of reputable Chinese watch brands out there, which are easy enough to find on the internet and they offer way better selection of watches at a way better value than the likes of Swan & Edgar, Gamages, Eon, Heritor, Reign, Shield etc, etc.
Great info @Hammy60

After your/others suggestions I subscribed to Ben's watch club on YouTube for the comedy value of Spaghetti Scametti initially but stayed for the watch info and reviews and also learning about quality and defects issues and he's reviewed genuine quality Chinese watch brands (Tianjin Seagull Zi Zuan). And Japanese: Orient and Seiko models. Not my bag and he has different tastes/likes to me but all very interesting.

Great info @Hammy60

After your/others suggestions I subscribed to Ben's watch club on YouTube for the comedy value of Spaghetti Scametti initially but stayed for the watch info and reviews and also learning about quality and defects issues and he's reviewed genuine quality Chinese watch brands (Tianjin Seagull Zi Zuan). And Japanese: Orient and Seiko models. Not my bag and he has different tastes/likes to me but all very interesting.

Ben is alright, he focuses more on the affordable end of watches/watch collecting, which is very handy resource for those with more limited income, as that is where most of the dubious watch brands tend to operate. Once you get out of the affordable price range, you get less problems with dubious brands.

If folks are looking for affordable brands to look at when buying watches especially if they want to start collecting, most collectors will tell you to look at Seiko, Orient (now owned and made by Seiko Epsom), Casio, Citizen, and even some of the popular Swiss brands produce some affordable watches, ie Tissot, Certina, Wenger, etc, but there are loads out there to many to mention.

This might interest you , although it's not a difinite ranking, just by value.

Is Pete the Pr%& on the channel yet? I can hardly wait....tell me PLEEEESE before I explode with anticipation. Nurse, where's my tablets?

Thomas Kinkade was the name! Thanks to those who identified the priceless works of art that used to appear about every 5 minutes, I can't tell you how I've missed them. So much so that I'd forgotten the name....

PS

[Aside]
@Hammy60 Hey Hammy, do you know anything about modern 'Helma DH' watches?

Originally a German make during the war for watches for the German army, DH for Deutsche Heer (German Army) or Dienstuhr Heer (Service Timepiece Army), with authentic old watches being collected, but was looking on eBay at a pilot/chrono quartz movement version and couldn't find anything about modern Helma, where they're made now, or if it is a resurrected brand name, Chinese or otherwise? Thanks.

Helma brand origins

Last edited:
[Aside]
@Hammy60 Hey Hammy, do you know anything about modern 'Helma DH' watches?

Originally a German make during the war for watches for the German army, DH for Deutsche Heer (German Army) or Dienstuhr Heer (Service Timepiece Army), with authentic old watches being collected, but was looking on eBay at a pilot/chrono quartz movement version and couldn't find anything about modern Helma, where they're made now, or if it is a resurrected brand name, Chinese or otherwise? Thanks.

Helma brand origins
Or @Professor Branestawm or a n.other might know. Couldn't add Prof in time to my timed-out post edit!

Is Pete the Pr%& on the channel yet? I can hardly wait....tell me PLEEEESE before I explode with anticipation. Nurse, where's my tablets?

Thomas Kinkade was the name! Thanks to those who identified the priceless works of art that used to appear about every 5 minutes, I can't tell you how I've missed them. So much so that I'd forgotten the name....
@historymystery PS was on TJC for a few weeks, until TJC acquired Ideal World assets and transferred him back to the new IW where he's been on since. Don't think he appears on TJC since.

He knew little to nothing about jewellery.

Whichever channel, his style remains the same nauseating overblown exaggeration, content-free delivery, lack of preparation, incomplete sentences, drooling, hyperbole, and last-resort 'just buy this' utterances.

Would love to know his sales figures impact when he appears. Presumably he sells, or they wouldn't have him on. I can imagine a certain type of viewer who loves 'our Peter' and buys from him, hanging on his every word. As opposed to the rest of us who find him gobsmackingly entertaining for all the wrong reasons and don't believe a word he says.

@historymystery PS was on TJC for a few weeks, until TJC acquired Ideal World assets and transferred him back to the new IW where he's been on since. Don't think he appears on TJC since.

He knew little to nothing about jewellery.

Whichever channel, his style remains the same nauseating overblown exaggeration, content-free delivery, lack of preparation, incomplete sentences, drooling, hyperbole, and last-resort 'just buy this' utterances.

Would love to know his sales figures impact when he appears. Presumably he sells, or they wouldn't have him on. I can imagine a certain type of viewer who loves 'our Peter' and buys from him, hanging on his every word. As opposed to the rest of us who find him gobsmackingly entertaining for all the wrong reasons and don't believe a word he says.
Not forgetting his annoying coughing bouts ugh

He used to say that lots of Americans own his pictures so they must be good quality works of art😳🤣

Or @Professor Branestawm or a n.other might know. Couldn't add Prof in time to my timed-out post edit!
Hi Phaedrus,

Ive only seen one (modern one, that is- there are plenty of WW2 ones, but the brand ceased to exist in the 1960s and was brought back briefly in the 80s before disappearing again) that was brought in for regulation. It was a Chinese open heart watch, that the owner was sold as a tourbillon. £599, I believe. Nice wooden box though…
Their pricing was crazy..

It was this watch…

IMG_3464.jpeg

As always, a quick look online shows the true value - it’s a typical drop-shipped Chinese mechanism with a print-to-order dial job…

IMG_3463.png

I honestly don’t know how they have the nerve. £44.99 (including profit), sold with another extinct brand zombie resurrected for £1100 but to you, guv, just £599.

It’s the same ethics as Bid-Up or IW….

Hi Phaedrus,

Ive only seen one (modern one, that is- there are plenty of WW2 ones, but the brand ceased to exist in the 1960s and was brought back briefly in the 80s before disappearing again) that was brought in for regulation. It was a Chinese open heart watch, that the owner was sold as a tourbillon. £599, I believe. Nice wooden box though…
Their pricing was crazy..

It was this watch…

View attachment 26770

As always, a quick look online shows the true value - it’s a typical drop-shipped Chinese mechanism with a print-to-order dial job…

View attachment 26769

I honestly don’t know how they have the nerve. £44.99 (including profit), sold with another extinct brand zombie resurrected for £1100 but to you, guv, just £599.

It’s the same ethics as Bid-Up or IW….
What ethics? They don't have any@

Latest posts

Back