Presenter's freebies

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

misschris

Registered Shopper
Is it just me or is anyone else sick of presenters hinting for freebies then gloating about getting them?
Jilly Halliday bagged a freebie from Carole Hochman recently & today Jill Franks bragged about getting
a certain Laura Geller product in her goodie bag. I know it's accepted practice for companies to hand out
freebies but as a customer I find it galling for QVC presenters to gloat about this & then give us heavy
sales patter to buy overpriced products. Even Julia Roberts let slip that she received A £60 plus pot of face cream from L'Occitaine.
I wish QVC would tell them to stay silent on the matter Surely it can't be just me that's put off by it?

I don't really have a problem with it.

How are they going to talk about something if they haven't tried it? I wouldn't expect them to have to share a pot of face cream with other presenters.

Companies give samples away to sales people all the time.

It doesn't bother me particularly. If they try the items they can describe them better! I love freebies and often go into Selfridges to see how many things I can get for free. It's great fun! You just have to chat up the assistants a bit!

I don't mind the presenters getting to try a new product however when its an item that's widely available then they should buy it like the rest of us. lets face it we aren't going to a get an honest opinion on the item , they are going to say they love it and cant be without it till the next brand comes along and they say the exact same. Gets on my nerves when presenters are practically begging for freebies during shows, as that has no benefit to the viewer, just makes the presenter look greedy and the guest feel uncomfortable.

It doesn't bother me particularly. If they try the items they can describe them better! I love freebies and often go into Selfridges to see how many things I can get for free. It's great fun! You just have to chat up the assistants a bit!

If you "chat up" the sale assistants like you post on here I suspect you get more slaps than freebies lol :Wink:

Its the hinting and begging on air for freebies, yes Ann Dawson and CHuntley its you, which really annoys me.

I am the Queen of freebies and samples from stores. Seriously, I just get to know the SA and next every time I pass I get loads given to me. I usually make goodie bags up when we meet for lunch(Ladies Wot Lunch Belfast), and give them out. My hairdresser gets them instead of a tip(she does like it better), full size body lotions for Van Cleef, Issey etc. I never turn down a freebie, if I don't use it someone else will.

I think that there is a difference between a host being sent a sample to try by the company involved in advance of a show versus a presenter openly angling for a freebie on air. With the former, the company will have decided that they want the presenter to share their personal experience as part of the sales pitch. Sure, they are never going to say it's rubbish, but they can make helpful contributions on how it felt, etc as a lay user. With the latter, if a host decides that they like a product enough to want it BUT the company has not sent a sample in advance, then the presenter should put their hand in their purse like te rest of us and buy it.

As an aside, there are now quite strict rules about accepting freebies of a certain value under anti-bribery rules, hope all the QVC presenters are complying with the law :wink:

Dress smart works for me, if I look the sort of woman who might part with £90 for a face cream they seem more inclined to give samples. (don't have your Rimmel mascara visible in the top of your handbag!). Have a specific question rather than "what have you got?" i.e. look on the web for the name of a moisturiser that they sell and ask "I'm interested in X but not sure if it's the cream most suited to my skin type..." and they'll go of into full sales spiel. If they still hesitate say "I'm so tempted but I once spent £50 on an eye cream that didn't agree with me..." This works better than starting your conversation by saying you have sensitive skin because the she'll only talk about their sensitive range if they have one and might not give you anti-aging samples. Also some brands which don't cater for sensitive skins may consider you as a poor risk and they might be less inclined to push their products. Be ready with an answer if they ask what products you currently use, my stock answer is "I was bought a "Lancome/Clarins/etc" set for my birthday but I'm not sure I'd repurchase..."

Basically you're presenting yourself as a likely purchaser, and you will have to take the time to listen to their sales patter but it's quite satisfying and I'm interested in what they say (most of the time).

Donna i need a few tips every time i ask for a sample they say they have not got any.

Smile, get chatting about the product. Then explain you have sensitive skin(even if you don't), and the idea of buying then returning is too much of a hassle. Usually that works. Or simply just chat to the same SA each time you pass, they get to know your face even if you don't buy they remember you and think you do. There is a lovely woman at the Givenchy counter, I never buy Givenchy well a mascara long ago. She remembers my face and insists on giving me samples of new products each time I see her.

I think that there is a difference between a host being sent a sample to try by the company involved in advance of a show versus a presenter openly angling for a freebie on air. With the former, the company will have decided that they want the presenter to share their personal experience as part of the sales pitch. Sure, they are never going to say it's rubbish, but they can make helpful contributions on how it felt, etc as a lay user. With the latter, if a host decides that they like a product enough to want it BUT the company has not sent a sample in advance, then the presenter should put their hand in their purse like te rest of us and buy it.

I agree, getting something to try so you have experience of the product which you are going to sell is fine, however claiming to have run out of something to get a freebie is not. When presenting a Yankee TSV JF stated that she hadn't used the sample she had received but had given it to someone as a present, now that's just taking the proverbial!

It's just sales patter and sometimes I think things are said jokingly but people on here take it too seriously.

I would be quite happy to walk around ahem, sorry testing a nice freebie handbag on my arm!

It's just sales patter and sometimes I think things are said jokingly but people on here take it too seriously.

I know what you mean but if a presenter thinks a product is so good surely they would put their hand in their pocket and buy it, however they are saying they like it but not enough to pay for it which isn't exactly a sweeping endorsement.

I remember seeing the "serious" state of Ali's dressing room, pictured just before they moved from Marco Polo House ! A complete shambles, but a veritable treasure trove of every make up and skin product ever televised on QVC - you cant tell me she paid for THAT lot !!!!! and wouldn't I just love to see the dressing room/bathroom of Jill Franks and her hoard of 'cant live withouts' !!!!!

I can't imagine how much all the products in AY's dressing room would cost but she needs to have at least tried them in order to sell them so that doesn't really bother me. It's the presenters saying they have run out of something and trying to get a freebie that irritates me.

I remember seeing the "serious" state of Ali's dressing room, pictured just before they moved from Marco Polo House ! A complete shambles, but a veritable treasure trove of every make up and skin product ever televised on QVC - you cant tell me she paid for THAT lot !!!!! and wouldn't I just love to see the dressing room/bathroom of Jill Franks and her hoard of 'cant live withouts' !!!!!

I don't see it that way - AY is the resident beauty expert so I think she should have access to the brands she sells... for familiarity, comparisons etc. Why not... if the companies are happy to give them to her... isn't it part of her remuneration package?

Everyone here is so quick to judge and criticise.... but can you honestly say that you wouldn't have the freebies if they were on offer?

I agree Tw. I would be quite happy to accept free samples even if I had no intention of buying the product. I would just like to try things to see what all the fuss is about.

Latest posts

Back