Prohibitively expensive fashion on Q

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
Now I'm not a great fan of Q fashion, but very occasionally I'll spot something I'd really like to buy but the price always makes it a total no no. I saw a Helene Berman jacket a couple of seasons ago that I fell in love with, but at £150 + postage - absolutely no way. I kept an eye out for clearance and lo and behold, it came up and guess what it was my size. They wanted £105 +postage for it -sod that. I didn't give up my quest and manage to pick one up on Ebay BNWT for under £40 delivered. The quality is fab and it looks great and I've actually received compliments on it, one from a stranger which can't be bad. I dare say this jacket is actually worth £80-£100, and Helene Berman is at least a bona fide (well at least I think she is)
Anyway I'm annoyed - I really want Gok's black ponte collarless blazer as I think it'll be a really useful addition to my wardrobe, it was reduced to £69 + postage recently and I toyed with the idea of getting on 3 easy pays, but I decided for what it is, it really isn't worth that sort of money. I searched the internet and ebay of course and found some similar alternatives all for prices I'd be more than happy to pay - but every single one of them wasn't quite right. I was prepared to make some kind of compromise, but I didn't want it to have lapels, patch pockets or pocket flaps and I did want the single button fastening. There was one that was a pretty damned good match but unfortunately not available in black. Checked Q again in the vain hope that it would've been reduced further, but guess what? It's back up to full price £85.50 + £3.95 postage! and no easy pay option either (not that I'd have used it) ****** ridiculous price for a polyester jersey jacket, that's probably no more superior than the cheapy stuff he put his name to for Sainsburys.
It's the same old story every time with Q, see something I remotely like and would actually consider buying and get knocked back by the ridiculous pricing every time. It never used to be like this at Q. To be fair, their fashion is at an all time low in its crapness - But would be nice to be able to buy something you like the look of occasionally. Why does everything have to be a "considered purchase?" ( Their term for overpriced).

Now I'm not a great fan of Q fashion, but very occasionally I'll spot something I'd really like to buy but the price always makes it a total no no. I saw a Helene Berman jacket a couple of seasons ago that I fell in love with, but at £150 + postage - absolutely no way. I kept an eye out for clearance and lo and behold, it came up and guess what it was my size. They wanted £105 +postage for it -sod that. I didn't give up my quest and manage to pick one up on Ebay BNWT for under £40 delivered. The quality is fab and it looks great and I've actually received compliments on it, one from a stranger which can't be bad. I dare say this jacket is actually worth £80-£100, and Helene Berman is at least a bona fide (well at least I think she is)
Anyway I'm annoyed - I really want Gok's black ponte collarless blazer as I think it'll be a really useful addition to my wardrobe, it was reduced to £69 + postage recently and I toyed with the idea of getting on 3 easy pays, but I decided for what it is, it really isn't worth that sort of money. I searched the internet and ebay of course and found some similar alternatives all for prices I'd be more than happy to pay - but every single one of them wasn't quite right. I was prepared to make some kind of compromise, but I didn't want it to have lapels, patch pockets or pocket flaps and I did want the single button fastening. There was one that was a pretty damned good match but unfortunately not available in black. Checked Q again in the vain hope that it would've been reduced further, but guess what? It's back up to full price £85.50 + £3.95 postage! and no easy pay option either (not that I'd have used it) ****** ridiculous price for a polyester jersey jacket, that's probably no more superior than the cheapy stuff he put his name to for Sainsburys.
It's the same old story every time with Q, see something I remotely like and would actually consider buying and get knocked back by the ridiculous pricing every time. It never used to be like this at Q. To be fair, their fashion is at an all time low in its crapness - But would be nice to be able to buy something you like the look of occasionally. Why does everything have to be a "considered purchase?" ( Their term for overpriced).
To answer your question - because the powers that be at the Q consider themselves to be better than they are, believe that they are selling the dream & that their demographic is younger than it is with more disposable income than it possesses. I've also just bought a HB jacket from eBay, it's not one the 'Made for QVC' & is an instant confidence booster.

Yes, QVC fell into they must sell high end fashion brands now. I remember when the price of a top was £40, and we here considered it expensive for what it was. It seems the same with everything they sell expensive, beauty, cookware, tech etc. I think they want to see themselves as the prestige shopping channel. They started advertising and articles in the Sunday Mail. As Twilight said selling the dream and of course the easy pay being the big thing to make watchers think oh I can own that now. If they were in a real store most would just not think of paying the price on the tag. Now QVC fashion etc are all about the more expensive brand names.

Or if they're not the most expensive beforehand, they sure will be after they've been taken on by QVC. I'm busy decluttering the least worn in my wardrobe and out has gone some beautiful stuff - Jaeger shirts (kept for just in case) and other top brands. I've now got an assortment of things (unadventurous, boring, samey) but they suit me and can easily be mixed and matched. From now on, everything will be a "considered purchase", even supermarket tops.

Yes, QVC fell into they must sell high end fashion brands now. I remember when the price of a top was £40, and we here considered it expensive for what it was. It seems the same with everything they sell expensive, beauty, cookware, tech etc. I think they want to see themselves as the prestige shopping channel. They started advertising and articles in the Sunday Mail. As Twilight said selling the dream and of course the easy pay being the big thing to make watchers think oh I can own that now. If they were in a real store most would just not think of paying the price on the tag. Now QVC fashion etc are all about the more expensive brand names.
This is so true, and to get around this regarding their own brands such as casual and co, they've whacked the prices up to make them fit into the new mould. Too many "celebrities" involved now too, who all want their share of the dough. Realistically the jacket I want shouldn't retail for more than £35, a price I'd expect to pay in stores like Zara, Next or M&S, in H&M, Peacock or New Look it would be about £25. Primark would probably pay you to take it away!!!
As for selling the dream, it's actually a nightmare they're selling because I'm sure that the lonely and vulnerable are still forking out for clothes they won't ever wear, and items that won't even see the light of day because they're kept in their packaging - They won't be noticing the hike in the way that those who aren't sadly addicted will. Q won't miss the customer who buys something every now and again, cause they know that their "regulars" will be happy to pick up the bill, and yes easy pays will cement the deal.
I am pretty peeved about the jacket even though it's something I'd like as opposed to need - I'll keep looking and if I don't suceed, so be it. I'm not caving in and paying their extortionate prices!

You can’t be looking hard enough for value for money on QVC fashion. I’ve found you a pair of jogging bottoms that are just £81 including p and p.

F..ck Off!!! (sorry)! Why on God's fine earth are they that much? They're described as loungewear fgs and contain a fair amount of polyester. I totally cannot understand why the postage is so high either, they can't weigh much more than a ****** tea towel. Just checked out this sort of thing on the John Lewis website and you can pick up similar with a high end name for less money that this. Q are rip off merchants extraordinaire and the V should be removed from their initials forthwith. Yep, the Q and the C are just as que questionable, but first things first!

Has anyone noticed the distinct reverence sometimes from certain presenters when some brands are rolled out. It’s like when say Helene Berman appears, I’m not commenting on her as a person or her clothing.
It’s just it appears when selling items that are priced higher than certain similar items from other brands, they are sold with this added special presentation.
Very much like a department store that has a basement with rummage sections with these special Q items requiring being stocked in the boutique sections on the upper floors.
Hushed softly spoken words are frequently opted for like:
We know this is of a higher price, a considered purchase, but it’s quality, not throw away and you’ll have it for years.
It‘s a true classic, when you work out the actual cost per wear, people will think you spent….. and if it were in one of those stores, there actually would be figures added to the start of the price.

Has anyone noticed the distinct reverence sometimes from certain presenters when some brands are rolled out. It’s like when say Helene Berman appears, I’m not commenting on her as a person or her clothing.
It’s just it appears when selling items that are priced higher than certain similar items from other brands, they are sold with this added special presentation.
Very much like a department store that has a basement with rummage sections with these special Q items requiring being stocked in the boutique sections on the upper floors.
Hushed softly spoken words are frequently opted for like:
We know this is of a higher price, a considered purchase, but it’s quality, not throw away and you’ll have it for years.
It‘s a true classic, when you work out the actual cost per wear, people will think you spent….. and if it were in one of those stores, there actually would be figures added to the start of the price.
Who does that for heaven's sake? Buy this shirt it's a considered purchase at " quote ridiculous price here" wear it every day for x amount of years and discover that it has only cost 5p per wear. This would actually mean something if it was a case of popping a couple of pence into a jar every day and settling up once you've accumulated the amount - but it doesn't. If a vest top is £90 + postage of course then that's how much it's gonna cost you to wear - end of!
It won't be long until they start applying this crazy logic to food products...£38 might seem a lot for a packet of biscuits, but when you consider there's at least 4 bites in each one, then it's not so bad really is it? or "I always drink a bottle of fizzy water with mine, 'cause the burp back gives you twice the taste for just a few pence more"!

Some people think that when they are paying over the odds for the likes of Marla Wynn and Ruthie they are getting a designer garment, something unique and special.Except it is bog standard with QVC hiking up the price with their sycophantic presentations.Then there is the good old P&P, who these days pays around £10 to try something on, wrong size? Oh just another tenner then.It’s ludicrous, free p&p or at least free returns, click & collect?Order 2 different sizes from Q & that is double P&P.Only on QVC!

Well itch scratched for a mere £6.99 - I decided to pop down to my local high street which is full of charity shops and see whether I couldn't pick up a jacket similar to Gok's. First store I visited (Help The Aged) had a very likely candidate - An oversized black jacket without lapels, long line, no pockets, though it does have fake pocket flaps, no button, but it had the shoulder pads. I said I was happy to compromise. I tried it on and it looked pretty much the same as Gok's. It was BNWT and Boohoo brand. This is a brand I'd not normally touch with a bargepole due to it's reputation for throwaway fashion made in China, so imagine my delight to see "Made in Italy" on the label and that see that it's machine washable. What a result!!!

So up yours QVC - £7.10 in total ( I treated myself to a carrier bag)!

I don't understand the huge prices for Kim & Co polyester tops in garish colours that are apparently "like paintings".
I don't understand the huge prices for anything on Q anymore. As for the p&p on items bought from them, they've sky rocketed! Ok their shitty policy for charging per item and charging for returns have always been there but a couple of quid, not great, but ok. £6 per item? absolutely not!
QVC is not a viable place to shop any more, unless you're lucky enough to hit on something that's good value that you know you're gonna keep, or prepared to trawl through the website or watch constantly. Convenience? - I think not!

Well itch scratched for a mere £6.99 - I decided to pop down to my local high street which is full of charity shops and see whether I couldn't pick up a jacket similar to Gok's. First store I visited (Help The Aged) had a very likely candidate - An oversized black jacket without lapels, long line, no pockets, though it does have fake pocket flaps, no button, but it had the shoulder pads. I said I was happy to compromise. I tried it on and it looked pretty much the same as Gok's. It was BNWT and Boohoo brand. This is a brand I'd not normally touch with a bargepole due to it's reputation for throwaway fashion made in China, so imagine my delight to see "Made in Italy" on the label and that see that it's machine washable. What a result!!!

So up yours QVC - £7.10 in total ( I treated myself to a carrier bag)!
FGS Merry will you get a grip and pull your horns in . That £7.10 would have paid the postage on those 2 mince pies you are going to order!🥧🥧🥧🥧

Latest posts

Back