Qurio - a socially interesting documentary!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I mentioned in another thread Hycanith's 287th review (It now stands at 288) which was 2 rather ghastly light up ornaments and it spurred me on to take a look at my own surroundings. I'm not one for ornaments but like most people I have a few well chosen ones. I spotted my arty metal dancers sitting on top of the cabinet looking well out of place and not really enhancing the surroundings. It used to live on the radiator shelf in the hallway and looked lovely there, but oh was in the habit of knocking it off onto the floor (usually on his foot - ouch!) when he walked past wearing a heavy coat. I've lost count at the amount of times he's told me to move it or get shot of it. Eventually I did move it after he managed to knock it onto his bare foot causing almighty pain and bruising and having to wear slippers for a week. It never looked quite right wherever else I put it so today I put it into the charity shop donation bag which was ready and waiting to be dropped off and it's gone. When I told OH that it was in the bag, he offered to give me a lift down to the charity shop, gave me a tenner and told me to buy myself a nice bottle of sparkling! Thanks Hyacinth. So bag dropped off, bottle of sparkling chilling down in the fridge for later - happy days!

A quick span of the surroundings when this lady is waxing lyrical about to 2 star lights shows her place is obviously bursting at the seams with all this stuff.I am somewhere in the middle or rather just above the minimalist level,.When in full clear out mode anything that moves could be in the clear out box.Neither do I like somewhere which is so pristine it looks nobody lives there, just no ‘personality’.I like the line which H uses ‘the postman has just been and brought me this’ with the rate she orders she must forget what is in the pipeline until she hacks into the box with the carving knife.

N.B the Postman just brought you this because you clicked ‘order’ then the money plus around £3:95 left your bank account. If it is not perfect for your needs are you going to pay X amount to return?Do you really need 2 stars that light up at Christmas, or perhaps , not my place to say of course, could that money be better spent?

N.B the Postman just brought you this because you clicked ‘order’ then the money plus around £3:95 left your bank account. If it is not perfect for your needs are you going to pay X amount to return?Do you really need 2 stars that light up at Christmas, or perhaps , not my place to say of course, could that money be better spent?
...Or dare I say not spent at all !

Looking at the pile of stuff in that room not spending at all is a bit late.What is that in the background on the star light video, looks like a pair of legs, is someone buried under the hoard? That looks like one of those exercise contraptions too.I would have nightmares surrounded by all this.

There was a programme quite a few years back helping hoarders. One lady was addicted to online shopping including QVC.Her flat was stacked with stuff still in their packages. The psychologist was helping people identify the root cause .
It is good to receive things but I keep reminding myself they are not gifts. I hardly order only when I need something.
My hubby died during the first lockdown and it’s difficult so I can understand some people substitute other things.
My problem is he was a builder and saw to everything in the house that went wrong.
Now every tap is dripping and I need a plumber. Can’t get that from Q.
Of course I miss him for other reasons too .

These are the sort of people QVC thrive on,dare I say rely on but eventually this source of business will start to die off.
Qurio was a vanity project hoping to entice more shopaholics in,looks like it failed which is probably a good thing,overspending can cause a lot of misery and heartache.

Looking at the pile of stuff in that room not spending at all is a bit late.What is that in the background on the star light video, looks like a pair of legs, is someone buried under the hoard? That looks like one of those exercise contraptions too.I would have nightmares surrounded by all this.
I had to go and have a peep and yep I saw the legs. It's a doll by the looks of things. One can only hope that it belongs to her granddaughter and it's not hers got a feeling it's the latter as I've seen in previous vids dolls on display. Each to their own of course, but dolls - eeeek!

These are the sort of people QVC thrive on,dare I say rely on but eventually this source of business will start to die off.
Qurio was a vanity project hoping to entice more shopaholics in,looks like it failed which is probably a good thing,overspending can cause a lot of misery and heartache.
.Agreed! At the beginning there was a lot more of them who were presenting with out of control spending habits - They have gone, ok it could be a temporary hiatus but I'd like to think that this app actually woke them up to the fact they've got a problem. If that's the case then they've shot themselves well and truly in the foot lol! It's more than likely that they're simply spending elsewhere as they've become thoroughly sick of Q's shortcomings, however Qurio's on the wane which can only be a good thing!
Totally agreed, been there myself but thankfully got myself clean so to speak and I'm all the happier for it!

Last edited:
I have never actually seen qurio but have read this thread since the start. I wonder if they the faithful have the idea they are influencers? Not only that, but I know the big influencers can become very, very rich getting paid by the companies to make people buy. But of course QVC's version is a market stall, no Hermes bags here. The faithful reviewers might not have got the brief of everything must be fabulous, no dodgy products no matter if you decided to keep them anyway for some strange reason.

I have never actually seen qurio but have read this thread since the start. I wonder if they the faithful have the idea they are influencers? Not only that, but I know the big influencers can become very, very rich getting paid by the companies to make people buy. But of course QVC's version is a market stall, no Hermes bags here. The faithful reviewers might not have got the brief of everything must be fabulous, no dodgy products no matter if you decided to keep them anyway for some strange reason.
The original advert for Qurio did mention the word "influencer". It was done in a tongue in cheek fashion but I'm sure a few of them took it seriously and thought that it would lead to fame and fortune (or at least a few vouchers to spend on their beloved Q )! It was toted as a useful tool but above all a fun and friendly community - It was a good year before they even introduced a chat facility. It's so badly organised that it could never be useful as reviews aren't categorised, aren't star rated and more often than not goods are no longer available due to being a TSV or in clearance. I'm sure the remaining faithful surely must realise that they're pi$$ing into the wind so it must be the enjoyment of making the videos that's keeping them going. If they don't realise, then I despair!

There was a programme quite a few years back helping hoarders. One lady was addicted to online shopping including QVC.Her flat was stacked with stuff still in their packages. The psychologist was helping people identify the root cause .
It is good to receive things but I keep reminding myself they are not gifts. I hardly order only when I need something.
My hubby died during the first lockdown and it’s difficult so I can understand some people substitute other things.
My problem is he was a builder and saw to everything in the house that went wrong.
♥️♥️Sending you big hugs.xx

I have two dripping taps as well. I don't know how to fix them, so I'll eventually have to get a plumber. They're expensive - 30 Euros just to come to the house and then the cost of parts on top of that. I think the parts needed are 'washers'.

.Agreed! At the beginning there was a lot more of them who were presenting with out of control spending habits - They have gone, ok it could be a temporary hiatus but I'd like to think that this app actually woke them up to the fact they've got a problem. If that's the case then they've shot themselves well and truly in the foot lol! It's more than likely that they're simply spending elsewhere as they've become thoroughly sick of Q's shortcomings, however Qurio's on the wane which can only be a good thing!
Totally agreed, been there myself but thankfully got myself clean so to speak and I'm all the happier for it!
I wonder if the cost of living crisis began to hit, with rising rent/mortgage payments along side energy costs , food inflation, with under- inflation pay rises that participants had less surplus income? And all those easy payments have come home to roost? When defending their spending at QVC, they claimed to have a budget and to keep to it. Perhaps those budgets have been squeezed below QVC prices.

It's not difficult to change a tap washer providing you know where the stop cock is, I rent and could get the landlord's plumber to do it but it's more convenient to do it myself.

I expect that there are lots of demonstration videos on Youtube.

It's not difficult to change a tap washer providing you know where the stop cock is, I rent and could get the landlord's plumber to do it but it's more convenient to do it myself.

I expect that there are lots of demonstration videos on Youtube.
Our new taps have ceramic washers and I think it entails replacing the tap,not sure.
Our stop tap is in the airing cupboard but only turns off part of the water(?). We have to use the mains stop tap outside,now I can't undo a bottle so would be unable to turn the stop tap off.
I can't undo bleach ,detergent fabric conditioner bottles etc. just don't have the strength in my hands and I don't think I've ever been able to open tops. Can't manage ring pulls without using something to lever them up. We've bought the bottle opener gadgets but I can't manage with them but I've seen a new metal slider gadget and am going to get that and try it.

Yeah but all this spending even if you can afford doesn’t make you happy!
I can’t think of anything more depressing than receiving parcels from QVC every day?
Even the postman/courier must be cheesed off(it keeps them in a job)that’s the only good thing about it,she has a real problem and certainly needs help if she was getting freebies like delboy it’s less of a worry,but she is spending a fortune on crap and high postage then making videos about it,should we feel sorry for her yes we should,but people need to recognise they have a problem before they can accept help,her husband needs to have a word !

Our new taps have ceramic washers and I think it entails replacing the tap,not sure.
Our stop tap is in the airing cupboard but only turns off part of the water(?). We have to use the mains stop tap outside,now I can't undo a bottle so would be unable to turn the stop tap off.
I can't undo bleach ,detergent fabric conditioner bottles etc. just don't have the strength in my hands and I don't think I've ever been able to open tops. Can't manage ring pulls without using something to lever them up. We've bought the bottle opener gadgets but I can't manage with them but I've seen a new metal slider gadget and am going to get that and try it.
I've got a 7 in 1 product from a small online company called Must Have Ideas. Opens milk, bleach etc, pulls ring pulls etc, not sure if this is what you've already tried but I thought I'd mention it. I've got rheumatoid arthritis in my hands and my strength varies day by day. Opening a new 4 pint milk first thing in the morning is practically impossible and this is a great help. I'm sure you'll find something to suit you, there's lots of gadgets out there.

I've got a 7 in 1 product from a small online company called Must Have Ideas. Opens milk, bleach etc, pulls ring pulls etc, not sure if this is what you've already tried but I thought I'd mention it. I've got rheumatoid arthritis in my hands and my strength varies day by day. Opening a new 4 pint milk first thing in the morning is practically impossible and this is a great help. I'm sure you'll find something to suit you, there's lots of gadgets out there.
Oh thank you Muttley will have a look.👍♥️

Oh thank you Muttley will have a look.👍♥️
I have a gadget that I have screwed under a cabinet that I got years ago that you put the bottle top into and it holds it firm while you turn the bottle. It is great for all sizes from jam jars to nail varnish bottles. It's similar to this
but mine is like sandpaper along both edges and on more of a curve so it really does fit all sizes. It may be worth looking for,
1692176946257.png

Latest posts

Back