QVC plant's don't wast your money!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

madmax

Registered Shopper
Last year I had a rush of blood to the head and ordered LOADS of plants for the garden ALL of which where supposed to give me 100's of flowers in the first year and then 1,000's in the second year.
The tree lilies where smaller than the regular lilies, the tree peonies never realy got going, the roses had 1 flower each, the hardy geraniums have all died, and the helibours gave up the ghost even before I got them in the ground.
Well today I have braved the garden for the first time this year and only ONE of my many QVC plants is showing any sign of life.
I know we have had a hard winter but I would have expected at least 50% to have mad it through .

I had no sucess either, the plants were not in a great condition when they arrived, maybe it was the way I looked after them, but I did follow instructions, either way I feel safer with the garden centre ones.

Last year my sister (a reasonably successful gardener) bought an unusual magnolia from QVC for £25 incl p&p. It arrived as a bit of a dry stick with roots but she planted it anyway. A few weeks later we found the same variety in a garden centre, twice the size, sturdy and with young leaves - £13. My sis bought & planted it and then ripped out the QVC plant - the roots hadn't budged since being planted. QVC refunded the cost and p&p, but we will never buy plants from them again.

Linda

I bought my dad over 100 bulbs (think it was a TSV) from QVC around 8 or 9 years ago I can't remember exactly when and around three quarters of them failed to grow and flower. All he's left with now is a little bunch of white flowers which seem to grow year after year but never again will I buy any plants at all from QVC have defo learnt my lesson there. Wouldn't mind but dad has been an experienced gardener most of his life so he knew exactly how to plant and care for them and he was very disappointed with them too as was me and hubby.

I bought the TSV Super Oriental Poppys last year and they are doing really well at the moment, maybe it is due to Flower Power!

My 3 roses I bought several weeks ago, which RJ was raving about (TSV) have not taken and are dead! I planted them in the correct John Innes No. 3 compost the way he told you too and I'm so disappointed. What a complete waste of money. :(

i have some trailling blue pansies from them and I have to admit they are truly lovely,leaves a bit damaged from the terrible winter but since we have had this good weather they are looking stunning.Maybe I have just been lucky, generally get my plants from our local market as they are good quality and very reasonable. I just could not resist these pansies and they have surpassed my expectations 100%

I have been tempted by lots of plants and flowers from qvc and hardly any of them have been successful. Only the Clematis are still going. I will now NEVER buy plants again from QVC.

I get all my bedding plants from Gardening Direct (go through Topcashback) and they are cheaper and really good quality. I have only received one lot which were not too good and with one phone call got replacements even though about 50% were ok.

I have been tempted by lots of plants and flowers from qvc and hardly any of them have been successful. Only the Clematis are still going. I will now NEVER buy plants again from QVC.

I get all my bedding plants from Gardening Direct (go through Topcashback) and they are cheaper and really good quality. I have only received one lot which were not too good and with one phone call got replacements even though about 50% were ok.

How do the plants arrive from here, are they plug plants that have to be kept inside, or proper grown plants that can be planted straight away, I get fed up of going to the garden centers, and back on topic I had some trailing sweet peas from qvc that never grew let alone trail

qvc best plants are:

raymond evison clematis and tbh qvc sell them at a fair price.

the sensation begonias are wonderfull if you dont panic when they are comming through.

other than that the tree peonies are a terrible waste of time and money and the roses that arrived dead.

like someone else said the garden centres do strong larger plants that are more likely to grow on for many years. the tiny plug plants and roots are best left to only the very experienced or lucky gardender.

How do the plants arrive from here, are they plug plants that have to be kept inside, or proper grown plants that can be planted straight away, I get fed up of going to the garden centers, and back on topic I had some trailing sweet peas from qvc that never grew let alone trail

You can buy small plug plants which arrive March/April which need potting on and keeping indoors until the frost have passed or you can buy bigger ones which will arrive ready to put out in the garden. They are really good quality plants and grow really well.

They do sell shrubs, clematis and lillies etc but I havent tried these as I have quite a lot already in my garden and just use bedding plants to fill in gaps and do my baskets and pots.

I bought the sweet peas in the wicker baskets from qvc which grew a bit then just died the baskets didnt even last one season as they were falling apart!

I am feeling much better now that I know I am not the only one who has had trouble with their plants. I consider my self quite an experienced Gardener and take great delight in rescuing plants from the bargain shelf of the garden center and bring them back to life.
I forgot to add ALL my plants had the benefit of RJ's Root boost and flower power so should have got away to a good start.
Lets hope some one at QVC towers takes the time to read this and does something to improve quality control.

Yes, the QVC plants are a very bad investment, they get delivered at a very small size and I do not think that the wholsaler has hardened off the plants correctly before shipping.

Richard Jackson gives very poor advice during the show saying that they will do this and thant when they don't.

I will also not be ordering again for QVC despite the push they currently have on garden plants.

I bought my dad over 100 bulbs (think it was a TSV) from QVC around 8 or 9 years ago I can't remember exactly when and around three quarters of them failed to grow and flower. All he's left with now is a little bunch of white flowers which seem to grow year after year but never again will I buy any plants at all from QVC have defo learnt my lesson there. Wouldn't mind but dad has been an experienced gardener most of his life so he knew exactly how to plant and care for them and he was very disappointed with them too as was me and hubby.

I had this collection too , with the same outcome as you.

I have succumbed to the spiel in the past and some have been OK BUT I have noticed this year they seem to be really expensive! Last year the quantities were 36-48 plants in most packs, this year it's 6-12 for the same price. Works out really expensive especially with P&P! Much better to buy locally at garden centres/nurseries.

I bought the tree peonies about 3 years ago. Wanted them for our patio so we bought 3 large pots and the correct compost that RJ recommended. We planted the twigs that arrived and and waited and waited........a few leaves appeared but not flowers. This has happened every year. We decided that enough was enough and that this year we would plant sweet peas and nicotiana in the pots for the fragrance. When I went to take the 'twigs' out low and behold they all had new shoots sprouting from them and new growth forming - and now they are about 3ft. high and have several large buds so I may get some flowers this year - fingers crossed. But I still won't be buying any more plants more plants from QVC.

I dread to think how much money I've wasted on QVC plants after listening to Richard Jackson. I honestly think I know more about gardening than he does.

Hardy Evergreen Clematis, Wisteria, Jasmine, all dead as dodos.

Pink Daffodils!! I think not!

Climbing Fuschia! Not on your Nelly, it just grows a bit taller than the usual one and you have to struggle to tie in the unruly twigs. Didn't even survive the first winter.

Begonias that you use from year to year. Only two came up the following year despite storing the corms correctly.

Hydrangeas suitable for tubs. Never grew more than 12" tall and are now just brown twigs.

The list could go on and on but it's too depressing. Good old B & Q for me from now on.

I only tend to buy now when the expert gardeners are on, just ordered the slug resistant Hostas. The experts 6 clematis were beautiful last year and already have buds this year. My tree peonies were awful last year but look a lot more promising this year. I don't believe a word Richard Jackson says, it's so repetitive and gardening isn't like that, plants are individuals and don't all need the same treatment that he blabs on about. I can only watch him now with the sound turned right down.

Latest posts

Back