Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Aw please, bring back Dr Cringles and Tommy and Kate....Designers ...my ar$e!!!!! I loved listening to all the made up backstories...."When Christin Lars was a boy!" and so on! For entertainment value IW has never been quite there has it, even with a lot of the ex presenters on board (why the picked the worst, I'm still asking myself)...s'pose can thank our lucky stars they didn't pick up that dreadful Nicolola, and that frump with the rictus grin, who's daily bottle of water and newspaper often cost more than the product she was selling, and her endless tales of how anything from a bedspread to an angle grinder would be an ideal gift for somebody with mobility problems!!!

Aw please, bring back Dr Cringles and Tommy and Kate....Designers ...my ar$e!!!!! I loved listening to all the made up backstories...."When Christin Lars was a boy!" and so on! For entertainment value IW has never been quite there has it, even with a lot of the ex presenters on board (why the picked the worst, I'm still asking myself)...s'pose can thank our lucky stars they didn't pick up that dreadful Nicolola, and that frump with the rictus grin, who's daily bottle of water and newspaper often cost more than the product she was selling, and her endless tales of how anything from a bedspread to an angle grinder would be an ideal gift for somebody with mobility problems!!!

Some of the old Bid insanity can still be found on IW - for example just the other day Howard said that the bags of compost he was selling would 'make a wonderful birthday or anniversary present'.
I also enjoy the big ups the presenters give to Creepy Crawley 'he's our luxury and interiors expert and if he says something is the best you better believe it !'
This is the guy on there flogging ready made polyester curtains.

Nicola George turned up on tjc a few months ago. Her bullshit factory had not ceased operations.

Some of the old Bid insanity can still be found on IW - for example just the other day Howard said that the bags of compost he was selling would 'make a wonderful birthday or anniversary present'.
I also enjoy the big ups the presenters give to Creepy Crawley 'he's our luxury and interiors expert and if he says something is the best you better believe it !'

I really don't want to sound ungrateful, but if someone bought me a bag of compost for a present they would be wearing it!

Recently Peter Simon said of decorator Craig Phillips that he was "the Jon Snow of walls". Presumably Pete was referring to Jon Snow the Channel 4 newsreader :mysmilie_59:

Ken Dodd telling Gollum that "all the reports will tell you chairs like these are usually around a thousand pounds" ....talking about the rise/recline chair. Reports? Those famous reports they draw up every year letting people know how much reclining chairs cost?

A quick look on Google throws up literally dozens of similar chairs for the same price or less :/

Toothy creepy crawlies credentials are that he used to work agricultural shows (?????) and worked in hotels and on cruise liners. He forgot to mention it was probably in the engine room shovelling coal :)

Gollum could easily see himself having one of these ridiculously comfy chairs at his own home. He didn't say he was ordering one of course ;)

And interestingly, despite listing it as bonded leather for one of them on the website, they actually referred to it as faux leather on the show! Is that a first for them, being truthful?

Caroline Lyndsay!!! Old Honey Monster in drag has been working on TJC for the last few years, but was dumped from their main shopping channel to working on TJC Choice. Nicola George didn't last long on there, but she was as scary as ever.

Caroline Lyndsay!!! Old Honey Monster in drag has been working on TJC for the last few years, but was dumped from their main shopping channel to working on TJC Choice. Nicola George didn't last long on there, but she was as scary as ever.

I got the impression that was quite a prestigious gig for her there... being given essentially a whole channel to herself. Shows a lot of trust in her shilling abilities, like her or loathe her.

£600 for an ugly quartz watch with mineral glass. Still, at least it comes with a free espresso cup!

I'm sorry but anyone who buys a watch from this channel needs to have a serious word with themselves.

Last edited:
Slimey watch man is convinced there is an error with the Vostok N1 Rocket watch. That £240 price just seems to be far too cheap! He is really puzzled by it. And a quick look on google confirms his suspicions.....several sites selling it for £260, so he is right, it is far too cheap....a whole £20 cheaper than places like Amazon. Good spot there slime ball :)

Slimey watch man is convinced there is an error with the Vostok N1 Rocket watch. That £240 price just seems to be far too cheap! He is really puzzled by it. And a quick look on google confirms his suspicions.....several sites selling it for £260, so he is right, it is far too cheap....a whole £20 cheaper than places like Amazon. Good spot there slime ball :)

Yes, Kevinski was really laying it on thick with the old, "Gosh, they must have made a mistake!" routine; and Gollum was more than happy to go along with the charade. Shysterism at its worst.

Ideal were selling the Vostok Rocket N1 (currently showing as sold out) for £247.99 delivered. You could obtain the exact same watch from Amazon UK for £251.00 delivered. This means Ideal's price was a whopping £3.01p cheaper.

Intentional or otherwise, Kevinski really is the discount king when it comes to 'exclusive' timepieces:mysmilie_59:

These watches are the equivalent of those tatty Danbury Mint "collector" plates that used to get shilled at the back of the free magazines in the Sunday papers. Old biddies and lonely people shelled out hundreds for a range of cheap crockery with cross-eyed kittens and puppies painted on them, and after they croaked their families were stuck with a load of crap that was worth tuppence.

The absolute worst was Gollums pressure sales tactic. Pretending he was doing you a favour, but almost blackmailing you to phone in. It went along the lines of "I wouldn't normally do this (uh huh) but these are going quick. If I were you I'd pick up the phone as you get priority over those using the website and having the watches in their baskets." :/

So not only piling on pressure, but basically advising you to gazump anybody who might actually have put one into their basket on the website. He had that smirk on his face that I would dearly like to wipe off.....and I wouldn't use blue magic or shadazzle to do it. I'd prefer a shotgun.

These watches are the equivalent of those tatty Danbury Mint "collector" plates that used to get shilled at the back of the free magazines in the Sunday papers. Old biddies and lonely people shelled out hundreds for a range of cheap crockery with cross-eyed kittens and puppies painted on them, and after they croaked their families were stuck with a load of crap that was worth tuppence.

This is a perfect analogy. It’s exactly what they are and I can only assume their viewers are buying in fairly significant numbers given the regularity of the watch shows. Sadly I haven’t seen a single watch which in future is likely to be worth a fraction of what was paid for it.

It’s not illegal but it’s a truly reprehensible sales practice. Clearly nobody involved has a functioning sense of shame but then that probably applies to the bulk of things sold on Ideal.

The absolute worst was Gollums pressure sales tactic. Pretending he was doing you a favour, but almost blackmailing you to phone in. It went along the lines of "I wouldn't normally do this (uh huh) but these are going quick. If I were you I'd pick up the phone as you get priority over those using the website and having the watches in their baskets." :/

So not only piling on pressure, but basically advising you to gazump anybody who might actually have put one into their basket on the website. He had that smirk on his face that I would dearly like to wipe off.....and I wouldn't use blue magic or shadazzle to do it. I'd prefer a shotgun.

Remember: IW makes cash off their pricey phoneline; online sales make them nothing apart from the purchase. So Gollum's basically telling people to chuck even more cash his way to buy shonky watches that look like they fell out of Christmas crackers.

This is a perfect analogy. It’s exactly what they are and I can only assume their viewers are buying in fairly significant numbers given the regularity of the watch shows. Sadly I haven’t seen a single watch which in future is likely to be worth a fraction of what was paid for it.

It’s not illegal but it’s a truly reprehensible sales practice. Clearly nobody involved has a functioning sense of shame but then that probably applies to the bulk of things sold on Ideal.

They do this sort of thing all the time: neglecting to mention what material clothes or curtains are made from (polyester), but constantly calling them "silky" or "like silk"; referring to their reconstituted "bonded" leather furniture (mostly plastic) as if it is real leather, even going so far as selling people leather cleaner for it; and telling people that various products will never be seen again at a blockbuster/pick of the day/sale price, only for it to reappear the following wweek at a cheaper price (but with a hike in postage to make up the shortfall).

They don't care

Lets not forget the snide wee comment that Shaun slipped in while selling the plastic lumps that they sell disguised as chairs.

And this isnt me saying this I am quoting him word for word in his softly soflty mummys boy voice "Not being funny, Yeahhhhh it can be very daunting going into a store to but a chair with the high pressure sales tactics from the people who work in these stores..........I think they maybe even on commission..........not being funny yeahhh"

Now this reallly gets on my ti......... As IW presenters can say what they want to an audience but they cant take any "snide" comments from Joe and Josephine public about themselves, But are happy to tell the world what they think and feel about others!

Just comes across as snide and very unprofessional (And I am NOT being funny at all)!

As regards wiping the smile off his face, you may have to get to the back of a long queue. And I would be in it.

Latest posts

Back