Sexist gender bias male TJC 'experts'

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ups-a-daisy

Registered Shopper
Has anyone else realised just how sexist TJC is in regards to putting on air their male buyers and so called experts 99% of whom also seem to be male? Every buyer or expert seems to be a man apart from one single woman who comes on air to sell ruddy handbags every 6 months or so!!!!!! In my personal opinion and experience I don't watch. buy from or enjoy the dual presented shows - some of the buyers have very limited presentational and linguistic skills. but are repeatedly put on air for no good reason. However I do appreciate some of the presenters need backup. Very interested in other people's views.

Steve is one of my favourite presenters, great to see him back on TV. I never watch if any of the Buyers are on.

Has anyone else realised just how sexist TJC is in regards to putting on air their male buyers and so called experts 99% of whom also seem to be male? Every buyer or expert seems to be a man apart from one single woman who comes on air to sell ruddy handbags every 6 months or so!!!!!! In my personal opinion and experience I don't watch. buy from or enjoy the dual presented shows - some of the buyers have very limited presentational and linguistic skills. but are repeatedly put on air for no good reason. However I do appreciate some of the presenters need backup. Very interested in other people's views.

And that's putting it politely. I wonder if they push to be put on air as some sort of ego thing?

Speaking as a viewer, I find most of the buyers a total turn-off. They're awkward, pushy, and very, very, very repetitive. All they seem to drone on about is price. I don't care about how cheap you bought it, or what amazing saving you're giving me — which, let's be honest, isn't that good since you're making a nice profit still — I care about quality, benefits, etc.

Sell me the product, not the saving.

Much the same with Gemporia's upper levels. Steve, Toby, Jake, Dave. You now get Cherry Cavill from time to time. Sarah never appears. The experts Glenn, Wobito's, Yianni, Ty the Turquoise guy, Charlie - for a station that sells predominately to Women, Women are horrendously under-represented at a management or expert level.

Kieran has one rather tiresome schtick though and it's that every time they have one item remaining he always says that he will buy it himself if a buyer doesn't hurry up and buy it first. Just more pressure selling really.

I don't watch either channel but have seen them on in the background at a friend's who is obsessed. She's spent a fortune on stuff that's overpriced and in no way an investment. My friend calls them her retirement fund. I've watched Dickinson's Real Deal with her and pointed out that the dealers always say cruise items and shopping telly items should be bought to wear and enjoy but definitely not for investment.

Sexist in the title caught my eye and I have to agree. They don't call them the money MEN for nothing. One guy I've noticed tells tales of the mines and how special the gems are, how good a price he gets them for. I bet his mine-workers love him - NOT!

The only winners are the male buyers, not the workers nor the customers. As I said, I don't take much notice but I agree with Herring. What I have seen makes me feel some of these men are on a bit of an ego trip.

I don't watch either channel but have seen them on in the background at a friend's who is obsessed. She's spent a fortune on stuff that's overpriced and in no way an investment. My friend calls them her retirement fund. I've watched Dickinson's Real Deal with her and pointed out that the dealers always say cruise items and shopping telly items should be bought to wear and enjoy but definitely not for investment.

Sexist in the title caught my eye and I have to agree. They don't call them the money MEN for nothing. One guy I've noticed tells tales of the mines and how special the gems are, how good a price he gets them for. I bet his mine-workers love him - NOT!

The only winners are the male buyers, not the workers nor the customers. As I said, I don't take much notice but I agree with Herring. What I have seen makes me feel some of these men are on a bit of an ego trip.

And that (bolded) is what makes much of "lower rung" selly telly morally mucky. As you say, the bulk of these items are… not going to be heirlooms, put it that way.

But the presenters will, do, and are encouraged to sell them in that manner. It's… awful, tbh.

Last edited:
It used to boil my p*** whenever they had a collection of those so called NY close out deal rings. They are always in 14 ct gold and have either one to three carats of tiny diamonds. These are normally G-H/ H-I and I1to I2 clarity. These are geared to the US market and are always found in small concessions on cruise ships. My issue with that is that if your store is full of similar items people don’t get any chance of seeing the diamonds against better quality ones. They do this only because they know that people on cruises tend to buy gifts for their partners for special occasions etc so that’s how they can charge thousands of dollars for mediocre quality diamonds. Well I suppose someone must be buying them somewhere.

Latest posts

Back