The Speakmans - A Positive Life TSV 03/01/17

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Imagine if they'd put Jill Franks on with them. She'd have been vying with that woman: "No, put the camera on ME!" and would have tried to do her "I simply couldn't LIVE without this" spiel only to have no true examples. I've watched quite a few examples of these Speakmans in action and my regard for them dwindles with each and every viewing. "It's not the tomato that harms you!" Talk about stating the "******* obvious!" I know phobias and anxieties are not always particularly rational, but still this is ridiculous. This couple appear little more than PR / manufactured telly therapists.

Saw a few minutes and what a load of old tosh. He said he was nineteen years old and was told he was going to die but he cured himself. Who allows these people to make these false claims? It’s time it was stopped. They are preying on people who are vulnerable. Shame on them all.

How suitably qualified they are I wouldn't know..or care..but I have seen many programmes over the years with these life-style coaches. Oprah used to have one regularly on her shows, years ago, and he either turned out to be a total fake..or abuser..or something. She then had Dr.Phil on who ended up with a regular slot on her shows, then had his own tv programme. He IS good and likeable, but even he was in court over plagiarism because he quoted from a therapists book as his own words.

Also, didn't ITV have a Dr. R** on morning television for a few years...until it was proved he was unqualified and he was dropped?!? It is all thin ice with regards to being legal. At the end of the day, the Speakmans were hardly ripping the public off with the price of the book, and if it helps, then money not wasted.

Even if this book only cost one penny it’s still taking money from people on false promises. IMO,the item was totally overpriced tat.

Even if this book only cost one penny it’s still taking money from people on false promises. IMO,the item was totally overpriced tat.

I totally agree with you. Hopefully, people who ordered this rubbish...will read it, return it and get their money back.

He was disgraced in his proper job and had to quit This Morning. I don't think the Speaknonsenses can be compared to him, he was a qualified consultant who did a bit of TV work on the side.

For those saying buy it and send it back. Do not forget you will still be paying QVC for the postage costs. So even if you managed to get your postage return free you still paid them for sending it.

Now let us all rewrite history. Hitler and Stalin both lovely people and true gentleman, don't believe all the evidence to the fact they were both evil madmen. The latter starved to death 6 million of his own people.

As others have said, the 'teeth' were quite mesmerising, and was it really necessary for Mrs S to have her bazookers so much on show ? Also I doubt whether 'Speakman' is their real name - Speakman is just a tad to relevant for the business they are in don't you think ? He's probably Gary Gutteridge and she's Sandra Cheesecake or something similar. Either way they were ghastly to watch.

I didn't notice the teeth, I was too busy watching the thighs.

I only watched 20 minutes, did she ever uncross her lags or cross them the opposite way? Not a good idea to keep them crossed in one direction for too long.

It's the ultra white teeth and fake tans that put me off these kind of folk - it's just fake. It also does my head in when people say "literally" every 5 seconds like Eva was doing earlier. I will not be buying this, it's all a bit syrupy. Bit of a back of a fag packet kind of thing - "I know, let's tell people to change their lives and sell them a book".

For the people they have helped then that's fantastic but I hope they didn't pay. Your GP will refer you to a counsellor/therapist for nothing (albeit you may have to wait a while). I guess the Speakmans would describe me as a "dragger" :mysmilie_17:

CC

Counselling / therapy on the NHS is very limited in availability and also rationed by the number of sessions one is allowed . Some people require therapy for 1-2 years minimum & unfortunately this isn't available on the NHS as far as I'm aware . I feel it's important to check out if a counsellor or therapist has the correct qualifications .

Counselling / therapy on the NHS is very limited in availability and also rationed by the number of sessions one is allowed . Some people require therapy for 1-2 years minimum & unfortunately this isn't available on the NHS as far as I'm aware . I feel it's important to check out if a counsellor or therapist has the correct qualifications .
A colleague of mine’s partner left her and she got counselling from a local charity in Liverpool. Her partner left very suddenly and she was really shocked

A colleague of mine’s partner left her and she got counselling from a local charity in Liverpool. Her partner left very suddenly and she was really shocked

Our local branch of MIND mental health charity offers counselling, fees are on a sliding scale but very reasonable.

I have been through all manner of crises and never needed any counselling. I just got on with in in my own time and my own way. I'm sure some people do find counselling useful but I've never liked the idea of it myself. I actually get free counselling included in my employment package however I cannot envisage ever calling them. What are they going to do about anything anyway? It's up to me to deal with my own problems.

You are very resilient Julius and I wish you well. When I had a nervous breakdown I dealt with it myself too and although it’s 11 years later I know I am still vulnerable but would never seek counselling. I don’t like talking about myself and am a very private person. Having said that I have tried to encourage a family member to bereavement counselling as I think it would do them some good. The Speakmans I wouldn’t entertain.

I’m in 2 minds over counselling or even talking to anyone about problems. On one hand it must be great to unburden yourself but something once said can never be unspoken.

Presently someone I know is offloading their problems to me and whilst I am trying to act as a sounding board without giving an opinion I’m finding it a little TMI and have a feeling that when it is all over they may regret having spoken about some of the very personal aspects, but I’m a bit of a trapped target ATM.

I’m in 2 minds over counselling or even talking to anyone about problems. On one hand it must be great to unburden yourself but something once said can never be unspoken.

Presently someone I know is offloading their problems to me and whilst I am trying to act as a sounding board without giving an opinion I’m finding it a little TMI and have a feeling that when it is all over they may regret having spoken about some of the very personal aspects, but I’m a bit of a trapped target ATM.

I think this is why going to someone outside both your family and social circle is beneficial.

I wouldn't dream of offloading on someone and expect the dynamic to remain unchanged!

I had counseling some years ago and what it did do was help me realise where my problems came from and that the way to deal with them was in my own hands. It was good to talk to someone who was not judgmental in any way and didn't try to steer me in any particular direction, it was all on my terms.

I have used counselling a couple of times, once when I was very ill and once when a family situation was stressing me out. I found it helpful in both situations and the independent counsellor was able to help me see things from a different perspective. When you are in a very stressful situation I think it becomes harder to see the bigger picture as your stress and anxiety levels increase. I was referred to one via my GP and one via The Haven breast cancer charity which provides lots of different support.

Some people benefit from counselling and others don't like the idea - that's fine each to their own!

I struggle with the Speakmans on many issues but two main ones are:

They seem to promise that things will change. This, from the perspective of professional counselling, would be seen as unethical. You simply cannot promise a certain outcome (though of course it is good marketing!) If someone does all the Speakmans suggest and things don't change then that person could feel even more miserable and that the problem is with them when it could just be incompetent advice from the Speakmans.

Also, a favourite mantra of theirs is 'if you are not born with a mental illness then there is no reason why you should not overcome it.' Apart from what I have said on the first point I would add that this is a VERY VERY simplistic take on the development of mental illness. For example, there are genetic factors and early childhood maltreatment can actually change the brain - brain scans show this. Now the brain is plastic - ie there is potential for change again and there are techniques that can be learnt to help address such issues but it requires a lot of skill and competence - way beyond what the Speakmans seem to have.

Re counselling on the NHS - a lot depends where you live and what the diagnosis is. Sometimes what is offered is very short term but often more can be accessed - this might be one to one or groups, or online work. Many areas do have charities that offer counselling at low cost - I worked for one where we could see people for a year, and another where there was no time limit. It is always worth looking around if counselling is something you would like to access - though I accept - not for all!!

Latest posts

Back