Turbie Twist

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
Has anyone had both versions of this, the QVC 'official' option, and the one from the pound/bargain shop? The fastenings are different, on the TT it's a loop, and on my cheapos, they are buttons. The TT does, to be fair, look a better quality fabric. For £1 my turbie towels are vfm, even though the buttons have snapped off, and the material stains very easily. does this happen with the Q one? Is it really worth paying the equivalent of two dozen pieces in the pound shop, to get 4 from the Q? Or does the value one serve the desired purpose? Am I trying to part myself from my hard earned, here?! Obviously, people are buying the expensive ones, or the Q wouldn't still be selling them. If they were not available so cheaply, I would have paid the QVC price without question. I know Jill was saying she has had her's for 15 years, and I don't doubt it. But I would all but guarantee that the presenters, be it for themselves or their kids, have got at least one of the 'cheapo nasties'!

Last edited:
How important is it in the scheme of things to have a turbie-twist that's not stained or has a matching button? Who sees it anyway? Keep your hard-earned in your pocket and let QVC warehouse groan under the weight of overpriced turbie-twists.

A relative of mine bought the set of 4 and gave one to me, and I have to say it is very well made and will last for a long long time. If you could buy them seperately for a fiver then I'd get one, but I wouldn't buy 4 for twenty pounds, does anyone really need 4? It dries super quick on the radiator and doesn't need washing every time you've used it.

A single one of a superior quality may be available in Boots or other shops hopefully for a fiver.

Savers have black ones, great for after hair dying when some the colour always finding its way on to towels.

I have had both. The pound shop one, with a button really does feel cheap and ends up being my floor cloth within a few months. My original Turbie from QvC is five years old and still going strong.

I was wondering about this myself - and I like the fact that the turbie twists (or at least this version) is cotton and not microfibre... But I actually think a button is better than trying to tuck the end in so I get the primark ones. They're hot pink in colour (the white ones I've had do go a bit manky) and they have a slightly naff/blingy crystal 'button' but they're actually pretty good quality IMHO!

My mother tied our hair in a towel twisted into a turban, I did it with my children, it worked and it cost nothing extra.

I had the original 'Turbanator' of many years ago, that the beautiful Amica used to model in the Zebra print. It was towelling inside and leopard print on the outside, elasticated edge with a large button and loop, can't remember exactly when it was bought, but it had been washed and worn many, many years and I only disposed of it when it became extremely threadbare last year.

I purchased the purple 'Turbi Twists' and here are my findings

1 They are very plush and soak up the water very well.
2 Compared to the Turbanator, they are much smaller in size and you struggle to push the end through the elasticated loop, either that or I've got a big head:giggle:.
3 After a couple of uses they do pull, I have a lot of long threads hanging off mine, mainly from the end that you pull through the loop.
4 They do wash well, no staining and the hearts are still there.

If they brought the original back I wouldn't hesitate to buy that one again, although I remember the guest saying on her very last visit that they just couldn't bring them back at the price QVC wanted her to.

So in a nutshell, they do the job!

Best thing I ever bought was one of these. http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/tr...large-p8409.aspx?ism=0&cl=PURPLE#product-text

It isn't a bobbly micro fibre, it's smooth and boy is it good. I have been using them for years and wouldn't be without one now.
I know it's not a turban but how hard is it to tie one yourself? Because this towel is thin it's really easy, it also dries quickly.

We have quite a few of these that we use for camping, as they roll up so small we save tons of space that normal towels would take up we got ours from decathlon, where they do small ones that wee use as hand towels, and also bath size ones too. They're ace.

I can recommend Aquis Hair towels and Turbans (ebay 221314302130 & 221314303192 for example*). I would say that my DD, who has hair about 6" longer than mine, finds the turban too small to be comfortable but it's fine for me. The hair towels, I pack for holidays as they take up no space, but you can dry your whole body with one if you arrive somewhere expecting towels but find there are none (or if the only towel in the mother-out-law's bathroom you wouldn't want to put near your face :tongue: )

I have Primark which were 2-3 pounds, and m&s ones at a fiver, the m&s ones are bigger and better quality.

I have had both. The pound shop one, with a button really does feel cheap and ends up being my floor cloth within a few months. My original Turbie from QvC is five years old and still going strong.

I can only comment on the pound one, and I agree with you. It is extremely thin and, as my hair is below bum length, gets soaking wet very quickly. If I was buying them as gifts, I would go for the QVC version. For myself? Probably be down the £ shop tomorrow and buy myself 24 to have in stock! Just joking, I could do with another couple though. I think it's an ideal 'gifting' item - I'm sounding like a QVC presenter, here - too expensive to buy for yourself, but most welcome as a present. I'm like another poster, if I could buy the exact same turbie twist for £5, no postage, I would. But 4? I keep thinking what else I could use the money for, that I need/would get more use out of. I need eye cream, cleanser, oh and some new jeans!

Latest posts

Back