Viewers Beauty Claims.....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Shortly after my mum died I was outbid on ebay for a bottle of Coty's Masumi. I soon came to my senses when I remembered that I never really liked the perfume and always wished she'd wear something more trendy :doh: I can still remember how it smelled though, without needing to smell it again :blush:

I used to use Herbessence, it was the only scent not to give me a migraine at the time and wasn't floral, which I didn't like. Can't remember the manufacturer; I used to buy it cheap from South Shore market in Blackpool so it may already have been discontinued when I was buying it in the v early 80s.

Jude xx

Shortly after my mum died I was outbid on ebay for a bottle of Coty's Masumi. I soon came to my senses when I remembered that I never really liked the perfume and always wished she'd wear something more trendy :doh: I can still remember how it smelled though, without needing to smell it again :blush:

I used to use Herbessence, it was the only scent not to give me a migraine at the time and wasn't floral, which I didn't like. Can't remember the manufacturer; I used to buy it cheap from South Shore market in Blackpool so it may already have been discontinued when I was buying it in the v early 80s.

Jude xx

Thank you Jude! Herbessence by Helena Rubinstein was the one I had and couldn't remember it's name!

Le Jardin Ooh wasn't that Jane Seymour in white soft-focussed in a ...garden!! And whaddyamean *used to wear*!! I still have Rive Gauche and Ysatis along with my Estee Lauder Cinnabar and Opium (Opium was my 'going out' fragrance). Helena Rube - was it Courant? I am sure at one point I had the entire range of Constance Carroll nail colours. Now I've swapped them all for Leighton Denny!!

I still have Rive Gauche and a very large bottle of Ysatis but have not used them in years.

I can remember most of the girls at work being into Anais Anais, White Linen, Youth Dew and Opium. The rush to go and buy Poison when it was launched! I'm still a fragrance addict and have collected or rather not thrown out any over the years! but many I do not wear now as they would probably give me a migraine if I did!

Just for a blast from the past the other day I suddenly thought about using a face mask and Lempack popped into my head, couldn't find it on the shelves but did see Valderma and Clearasil skin soap as these were my first cleansers before discovering Anne French as I was a bit spotty!!

Last edited:

Jude xx

Thanks for reminding me about Masumi - I had that too. I'm sure I thought I was trendy at the time! Your Mum probably did too. :happy: Moved onto Ma Griffe after that.

My mother always wore either Blue Grass or Youth Dew. both of which make me feel very sick if ever I smell them on someone ( go figure..)
My first perfume which I wore throughout the seventies was Cachet ( remember that one?)
I was working in a chemist when Anais Anais hit the heights. Used to like it until a chap with a strong brummie accent came in and asked for a bottle of "Anus Anus". Never could feel quite the same way about it after that....

Crumbs...am I the ~golden oldie~ here :doh:..my school perfume was Evening In Paris ! small bottle from good old Woolies.. :blush:

Now get more comments on smelling beautiful wearing Coty L'aimant than all my expensive Tova's or Grace's...£7 a bottle from Fragrance X.com, free p&p worldwide, excellent service, found them as wanted some nostalgia from my mum too, they do the Coty L'orgian :sun:

They sell the Wild Musk £6.23.

daydreamer

Oh I wore Cachet too. Then at 17 moved to Rochas Femme. They reformulated it in 1989 and add a cumin note. Totally changed my beloved, but I managed to get a bottle of the vintage pdt and its the same as I wore and loved.

I sniffed Opium for the first time in 1980, think it came out the year before?
Anyway totally loved it and so wanted a bottle so had to save up. Anyway went to stay with a friend who was living in folkstone and we went to France for the day. I bought my first bottle in a little perfumery and the woman was so nice giving us loads of samples of YSL perfumes. Y by YSL is fabulous, totally feminine and elegant. But you never see it on the counter, they do still sell it but hidden in drawers.

I spent more of the my twenties in a haze of Opium or Chanel Coco and Shalimar. The 80s was the home of the powerhouse perfume.

Oh I used to dab my big brother's Old Spice on going to school. That started my wanderings into wearing men's. Hai Karate was quite nice.

LouLou was the big sister of Anais Anais, it was a powerhouse in the 80s too. I used to wear it and a friend said I smelt like beer!!!!! It dried down Okay but the opening did have a beer like note. Anyway it was another man magnet, must have been the beer!!!!!!:rock:

I loved the original Nino Cerruti men's fragrance/after shave; it smelled of pine forest (not at all like pine disinfectant I should add) I have a bottle from ebay and it's gorgeous to this day. When Cerruti hit the counters with new fragrances for me and women I was genuinely excited but the 1881 or whatever its called is so unspectacular by comparison. I wish they'd relaunch the pine one so I could buy shower gel etc in it.

Jude x

Donna-you know a lot about perfume,do you remember one called Nina by Nina Ricci,it was late eighties when I used it,then it just disapeared from the department stores,never saw it again. Now there is another one by Nina Ricci called Nina but it is totally different to the original one,the new one is awful-sickly sweet.

Crumbs...am I the ~golden oldie~ here :doh:..my school perfume was Evening In Paris ! small bottle from good old Woolies.. :blush:

Now get more comments on smelling beautiful wearing Coty L'aimant than all my expensive Tova's or Grace's...£7 a bottle from Fragrance X.com, free p&p worldwide, excellent service, found them as wanted some nostalgia from my mum too, they do the Coty L'orgian :sun:

They sell the Wild Musk £6.23.

daydreamer

Another Golden oldie here Daydreamer! I still have the little blue bottle that once contained Bourjois 'Evening in Paris, all that is left now is a sickly sweet smell!
As a teenager my favorite was Elizabeth Arden 'Blue Grass' & Helena Rubenstien 'Apple Blossom'Have had Youth Dew but it bought me out in a rash, still like the classic Dior perfumes Diorella & Diorissimo.Also once had a bottle of 'Joy'-- lovely.

ah yes those powerful 80's ones - I didn't like LouLou or it's cousin Eden, nor anything by Giorgio in those yellow stripey boxes. I remember buying my first proper perfume on a school trip to Calais which was Diorella, now known as Liz Earle No 1! I'm glad i'm not the only one (as if) who often prefers the men's fragrances, I often wear Guerlain Homme which is fab. Well I like it. Was Cachet by Prince Matchiabelli? I bet he wasn't even a Prince;-) Still buy Samsara and Shalimar and most of the Guerlain output, they were and still are quite distinctive but my all time fave is Nahema.

I used to save my pocket money to buy my mum "Soir de Paris" and "California Poppy" from Woolies too. As a 12/13 year old thought they were the height of sophistication. Poor mum always pretended she loved them too!

Oh I wore Cachet too. Then at 17 moved to Rochas Femme. They reformulated it in 1989 and add a cumin note. Totally changed my beloved, but I managed to get a bottle of the vintage pdt and its the same as I wore and loved.

I sniffed Opium for the first time in 1980, think it came out the year before?
Anyway totally loved it and so wanted a bottle so had to save up. Anyway went to stay with a friend who was living in folkstone and we went to France for the day. I bought my first bottle in a little perfumery and the woman was so nice giving us loads of samples of YSL perfumes. Y by YSL is fabulous, totally feminine and elegant. But you never see it on the counter, they do still sell it but hidden in drawers.

I spent more of the my twenties in a haze of Opium or Chanel Coco and Shalimar. The 80s was the home of the powerhouse perfume.

I wore Rochas Femme too, given to me by a boyfriend's Mum cos I don't think she liked it! Still have a fondness for Guerlain. Men love Shalimar - it's the vanilla apparently. I prefer Jicky though. My sis wears Y by YSL. I found her a huge bottle in TKMaxx of all places, a year or so ago. - she was thrilled.

I liked one just calleed Armani or poss Armani pour Femme in the 80s/90s? but that disappeared too. I still have about half a bottle left though and it evokes lots of memories.

For some reason anything by Dior smells like cat's pee on me! :puke: Chanel is fine. :happy:

Yes Cachet was by Prince Matchiabelli. Tiny little bottle you had to dab on.

Oh I love Jicky, I have the parfum and the pdt(older term but same strength as edp. You know the one AY insists is kept locked with chains. As stores only ever sell edt:taphead:).

Blue Grass has just been mentioned on a perfume board I visit funny enough.

Does anyone remember Styx? It was a cream perfume in a little black bottle, and had a little wand in the bottle to wipe the perfume on. I think it was my mum's as I don't remember buying it as a teen? But it was in our bathroom cabinet.

I'm more of a BPAL girl and never really loved most of the mainstream perfumes but two I have fallen in love with recently were Elizabeth Arden's Red Door - my OH bought it for me after sniffing every perfume at Boots - and most recently Chanel's Coco.

Especially Red Door is pretty heady stuff and feels 'older' than what I usually wear but it really works on me.

In the late 70's early 80's I used to wear beautiful fragrance called Vu by Ted Lapidus,it was in a burgundy and silver box and they also did Vu for men I think!

I would love to smell it again to see if it really was that nice!!!:sun:

I'm more of a BPAL girl and never really loved most of the mainstream perfumes but two I have fallen in love with recently were Elizabeth Arden's Red Door - my OH bought it for me after sniffing every perfume at Boots - and most recently Chanel's Coco.

Especially Red Door is pretty heady stuff and feels 'older' than what I usually wear but it really works on me.

I only own one BPAL Longing from the Love Poems, it limited edition I believe? Rose, geranium and musk very very lovely.

There is a good range of clinique , Estee Lauder , Bobbie Brown plus others (sorry can't remember what else they had ) in a decent size shop in Mc Arthur Glen (near York ).I loved mulling round it. They had both fragrance and make up.(sorry posted this on the ojon tsv thread too,as they had lots of ojon.) :flower: :flower:

In the late 70's early 80's I used to wear beautiful fragrance called Vu by Ted Lapidus,it was in a burgundy and silver box and they also did Vu for men I think!

I would love to smell it again to see if it really was that nice!!!:sun:

Thank you Lemonsqueezy, I have been racking my brains to think of that name. I use to love Vu.

What a wonderful thread. I still have - and love - Clair du Jour by Lanvin, sadly only a
little bit left now. I was told that it was the perfume choice of airhostesses when I tried,
in vain to buy some more. My other fav was Parure by Guerlain which I have seen on
E bay at prices well out of my reach. My "modern day" favs are Knowing by Estee Lauder
and Cerruti 1881. Used to save my pocket money to buy Soir de Paris and Black Gardenia
by Goya for my mother. She had a tiny bottle of Mischief by Schiaparelli I think but she
Wouldn't let me use it and eventually it went off!!!
Best wishes from Springflower.

Latest posts

Back