Viewers Beauty Claims.....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I do remember Tabu and Hypnotique, although of Max Factor's I used to wear Le Jardin and Epris.

I popped into the dreaded High St during lunch and had a sniff of the one's I used to wear years ago, YSL Rive Gauche, Givenchy Ysatis and the aromas do transport you back in time.

I'm sure I have a few oldies lurking around at home like Pierre Cardin Paradoxe, Magie Noire and Guy Laroche Fidji. I can remember having a Helena Rubenstien one in a frosted bottle but can't remember the name of it.

Back to Clinique I do use their make up and have a fab kit that I bought in flight that has everthing you need, mascara, blush, eyeshadows, lip colours etc really great for travelling.

:sun:

Fidji. My first 'designer' perfume after years of wearing Charlie.

Really enjoyed reading this thread! I used Clinique in my late teens/early twenties when my skin was far oilier and loved the sensation of tightening I got from Clarifying Lotion - if I used it now fifteen to twenty years later my increasingly 'mature' skin would shrivel on contact! I used to love 7 Day Scrub and although it used to bring on breakouts I still used it :dull: :giggle:. I'm an exfoliation addict and am now wondering whether to give it another go...Clinique has particularly positive memories for me though, as when my OH and I first met she observed the Clinique in my bathroom and promptly went to our nearest department store and bought stacks of the range in a bid to coax me into her flat/life. About a week after we met I went round to her flat unbeknownst, saw the products and was sold. The skincare routine has changed but the relationship has endured :giggle:

As to perfume - we were in France when Anais Anais first came out, I got some for my eighth birthday - I thought I was soooo grown up! I struggle to find scent I like though, Paloma Picasso being the only one I've worn continually through my teens, twenties and thirties. I want to like Chanel and keep trying but I have to concede it's just not for me. I do love men's scents though, especially Penhaligons Blenheim and L'Occitan.

I cannot wear the famous No5, smells strangely like a plastic bag on me. Of all the normal Chanel range only Coco works for me.

I can wear No22, Bois des Iles and Cuir de Russie.

Infact later this month I am going to order 28 La Pausa in the new 75mls size.

Come on own up...

...who used to pronounce it Anay Anay? Forthunately I was doing A level French at the time it was at it's peak and felt very superior at 17 correcting an over made up counter assistant in a big dept store...I cringe at the thought of how obnoxious :devil: I was back then!

A few years earlier my school friends variously wore Tramp, Smitty, Charlie, Babe and I pestered for Cachet; the one they said smelled different on everyone...on me it was like cat pee! :blush: We also used to buy the cheap smell-alike copies for about a quid. We woz v sophisticated! :sun:

Jude xx

My all time fave perfume is Christian Dior's Dioresscence. Started using it in the seventies. I go back to that time & time again. I also love Chanel's Allure.

Do you remember Tweed Perfume ? Absolutely foul:puke:

...who used to pronounce it Anay Anay? Forthunately I was doing A level French at the time it was at it's peak and felt very superior at 17 correcting an over made up counter assistant in a big dept store...I cringe at the thought of how obnoxious :devil: I was back then!

A few years earlier my school friends variously wore Tramp, Smitty, Charlie, Babe and I pestered for Cachet; the one they said smelled different on everyone...on me it was like cat pee! :blush: We also used to buy the cheap smell-alike copies for about a quid. We woz v sophisticated! :sun:

Jude xx

Regarding Anay Anay I certainly did! OMG Smitty! another golden oldie.

I was also guilty of going to the market stalls to buy the cheapies.

I can remember having some very small glass bottles in black with a little round lid and sure one of them was patchouli, wondering if this was Mary Quant? Does anyone else remember these?

Seeing as Beauty Day is so boring I have had a hunt around the net for this perfume in black glass bottles that has been bugging me....I have found it!

It was Mary Quant Special Recipe perfume essences. I had ' Country Garden' and 'Honeysuckle', felt very grown up after using Avon's Pretty Peach which was my first fragrance while at school! :blush:

:flower:

Mary Quant had one called Havoc.

I remember wearing one of her's, not sure if it was Havoc???? It was spicy and oriental.

Dioressence, I had it when it came in a blue rubber coated bottle.

I struggle to find scent I like though, Paloma Picasso being the only one I've worn continually through my teens, twenties and thirties. I want to like Chanel and keep trying but I have to concede it's just not for me. I do love men's scents though, especially Penhaligons Blenheim and L'Occitan.

Was having a similar struggle. Not a great perfume wearer as not really permitted in workplace, but like to wear occasionally at weekends etc.
Wore - no laughing at the back now :blush: - The Body shop's White Musk for years and loved it. But about 4 yrs ago went right off it, just didn't smell right on me any more. Switched to Lizzie Arden's Beauty or Green Tea, but went off them as well, last year.
Now, after an epic search and many a Sunday afternoon spraying testers have found Dior's Addict 2 which I currently love. We'll see how long that one lasts.
As an Xmas pressie OH (ignoring strict instructions never to buy me perfume) got me some Wave by Davidoff and must say it's O.K.

I can totally identify with that madaunty I've made the mistake of stocking up on a perfume thinking I'd found the "one" only to go off it and be left with a couple of bottles I can't stand anymore.

Cute Guinea Pig btw :sun:

Jude xx

Mary Quant had one called Havoc.

I remember wearing one of her's, not sure if it was Havoc???? It was spicy and oriental.

Dioressence, I had it when it came in a blue rubber coated bottle.

She did have one called Havoc, it was spicy/exotic.

I do like Dior (except J'Adore & Poison) and recently bought 2 from the Escales collection for daytime/summer. Always a good idea to have a selection for all occasions! :happy:

So many perfumes smell "off' on me that I have stopped experimenting and making expensive mistakes. I have worn Shalimar for most of my adult life, it never lets me down and is my signature, if you like.I wear it in winter and in the evening and my husband loves it on me.
However, upon moving here, I found it too heavy and overpowering for daytime use in the really hot weather, so I use Aquolina's Pink Sugar. It isn't sophisticated, it's reasonably priced and it doesn't change it's smell on me. It makes my female friends rapturous as I smell" like a doughnut shop", like "candy floss", "like a sweetie shop". I don't care, it lifts my spirits and this is what perfume is all about...

Jude xx

Smitty! Shamefully I even remember the advert - Smitty Did It!!!! My friend at my first job who used to mangle any language indeed called it Anay Anay, and also O de Lank-a-mum which I still refer to anything Lancome as.

I love Dior Homme, one of the best woody iris perfumes out there.

I shall go and have a sniff of that! I thought I was 'odd' for liking typically men's fragrance on myself but really do like some of them, it all started with using Molton Brown's Ginseng and Black Pepper shower gels!

I have only used shower gels/body washes though and my favourites are Nomad by Crabtree & Evelyn and Ralph Lauren Safari for Men although I have used the Safari for Women for years on and off.

Oh MrsTrouble there are thousands of women who wear men's perfumes and a hell of a lot of men who wear women's(not gay either).

Charlie Chaplin wore Mitsouko by Guerlain.

Old Spice when it first came out in the 1930s was a women's perfume!!!! No, really.

I cannot wear the famous No5, smells strangely like a plastic bag on me. Of all the normal Chanel range only Coco works for me.

I can wear No22, Bois des Iles and Cuir de Russie.

Infact later this month I am going to order 28 La Pausa in the new 75mls size.

Hi Donna, would you mind me asking where you source the "Exclusifs"? I fancy trying 31 Rue Cambon, sounds as if it's one I'd like, but not sure where I can sample or buy it.

Is there a good perfume forum btw? I'm relatively new to the shopping forum experience!

Thanks

Hi Donna, would you mind me asking where you source the "Exclusifs"? I fancy trying 31 Rue Cambon, sounds as if it's one I'd like, but not sure where I can sample or buy it.

Is there a good perfume forum btw? I'm relatively new to the shopping forum experience!

Thanks

You need to phone the Chanel boutiques in the UK to find the Exclusifs. They will give you samples, 2mls spray sizes. www.chanel.co.uk
They ask for your post code to find the nearest one. I am wearing 31 Rue Cambon today and its gorgeous!!! Sample of course.

I belong to two forums Basenotes and Perfumeoflife

You need to phone the Chanel boutiques in the UK to find the Exclusifs. They will give you samples, 2mls spray sizes. www.chanel.co.uk
They ask for your post code to find the nearest one. I am wearing 31 Rue Cambon today and its gorgeous!!! Sample of course.

I belong to two forums Basenotes and Perfumeoflife

I wish I hadn't visited the Chanel site! 31 Rue Cambon sounds lovely with the black pepper and also the 28 La Pausa with pink pepper, similar sounding to the Dior Escale aux Marquises that I bought recently. I was in Boots last week and came across Chanel Cristalle Eau Verte, smells gorgeous ...another one to add to my wish list!

I'm going to London next month and might have to accidentally pop into Selfridges for a snoop around and smell these Exclusifs :nod:

The Basenotes site I came across yesterday in my quest to find the name of the Mary Quant essences that I had. Will check out the other one. Thanks Donna :sun:

Latest posts

Back