Warning on Gel manicures

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

yesilkedi

Registered Shopper
Don't wish to alarm people but I just read in the Daily Mail (health section) that 'gel manicures can increase the risk of skin cancer and damage your nails'.
I wish I could post the link but I don't know how, but think it's worth a read for all the gel lovers out there.

Like many others I've just got mine from Q so I will google it as we mentioned if there was any risk earlier today. Thank you for posting x.

Having read the article & the reader comments that followed, it seems that there is some confusion in the article.
There's a distinct difference between gel nails & gel polish manicure, the latter being less invasive.
Also, the old lamps were vastly different to the new ones. The latest ones are 9w & compared to a 200w sunbed that doesn't seem high.
It's serious food for thought tho'.

Make it a point of principal never to believe a word written in the Daily Mail.

I read something about this a few weeks ago and in comparison to a sun bed the risk is minute!

I read something about this a few weeks ago and in comparison to a sun bed the risk is minute!
That's my initial thought too having read the reader comments. The article is also confusing which makes me wonder how well researched it was.
Interestingly a slightly earlier article, again in the Mail I think, stated that gel home manicure systems sales had increased by 523% in the USA. No mention of exposure risks then.
Just read it completely. It was in the Mail and was published in March 2012. Then they seemed to be raving about it back then and how much money it saves people as they are no longer paying £25 & up for a single manicure.:confused:

Last edited:
Think if we all stop doing everything that may pose some sort of risk, then we might as well stop living. The following page gives more information, and seems to say that LED light is much safer http://www.emaxhealth.com/8782/gel-manicure-dangers-and-safer-options-recommended-dr-oz-show
A very dear friend of mine who has always been sporty and taken good care of their health, has had failing health in the last year, and has just found out they may need a heart transplant in the near future. They are only in their early fifties. Just goes to show that life can deal you a bad blow no matter how careful you are. I refuse to worry about all the reports and scaremongering that the media throw up on a daily basis, cos life is too short. And yes, I have bought the recent Red Carpet Manicure TSV and am sporting a gel manicure as I type this.

That's my initial thought too having read the reader comments. The article is also confusing which makes me wonder how well researched it was.
Interestingly a slightly earlier article, again in the Mail I think, stated that gel home manicure systems sales had increased by 523% in the USA. No mention of exposure risks then.
Just read it completely. It was in the Mail and was published in March 2012. Then they seemed to be raving about it and how much money it saves people as they are no longer paying £25 & up for a single manicure.:confused:

Wish I could remember where I read it as it was very clear with regards to how small the risk is.

Theres alot about this if u google it but not sure how accurate the information is tbh

Thanks for posting Still18, just read it. I can confirm that the way the Doc describes how the removal of gel polish causes thinning of the nail & damage is a complete load of tosh. I've done my 1st removal, it was nothing remotely as he/she described and I was removing added glitter so mine should have been much harder to remove.
I did as Rosey said, had my fingers in shallow bowls of acetone remover for about 10-15 minutes. The polish just flaked away with virtually no aggitation at all. The only impliment I used was the wooden one provided in the kit & that was only to assist the removal of the glitter tips. Even then it wasn't anywhere near abrasive/harsh enough to cause thinning, breaking or splitting of my nails. I don't know where this doc got the idea of metal impliments being used, perhaps in a dodgy nail bar. They're not in the RCM home kit.

I would strongly advise using a good hand cream frequently and cuticle/good quality cosmetic oil for 1 night prior to re-applying the next day as the acetone can make nails feel dry afterwards. Nothing that a decent dollop of moisture can't remedy, exactly the same as I do after a long bath.

The RCM curing lamps are also the LED modern ones, thus making uv exposure very minimal according to the other articles on google.

Last edited:
But wouldn't you feel such a fool if you were the healthiest corpse in the graveyard, never having had any fun?

Personally, I'd rather take a few risks & enjoy my life than avoid all the things I like just so I might spend an extra year or two in a care home. :sad:

I personally love this quote

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!"

:eek:)

Obviously with the gel manicure its worth weighing up the pros and cons and making your choice. It's not for me because Shellac really damaged my nails as that article describes but that doesn't happen to everyone.

But wouldn't you feel such a fool if you were the healthiest corpse in the graveyard, never having had any fun?

Personally, I'd rather take a few risks & enjoy my life than avoid all the things I like just so I might spend an extra year or two in a care home. :sad:

Love this post Breeze :)

There doesn't seem to be anything conclusive in the article to me - the most damning evidence is that two women (2) who got skin cancer had had gel nails so there 'could be' a connection. The risks of walking down the road on a sunny day are probably just as high.

What a pile of tosh! scare mongering in the name of "journalism" - how ridiculous can you get - by comparison with a day's sunbathing there's almost zero UV exposure. Please don't pay attention to this - the idiocy of journalists (particularly at the Mail) really gets my goat. how about some proper science?

(not a pop at the OP by the way - you're right to highlight it)

What a pile of tosh! scare mongering in the name of "journalism" - how ridiculous can you get - by comparison with a day's sunbathing there's almost zero UV exposure. Please don't pay attention to this - the idiocy of journalists (particularly at the Mail) really gets my goat. how about some proper science?

(not a pop at the OP by the way - you're right to highlight it)

Well said, Dr Blarf, and an opinion that carries with it the weight of expertise :grin:

The polish just flaked away with virtually no agitation at all. The only implement I used was the wooden one provided in the kit
Has anyone noticed that the base layer doesn't come off? I have been using Red Carpet since June 2012 and it's always been the case, I have to remove the clear base with a buffer. The colour does come off well.

i think there may be a problem with gel manicures and the gel polish. i was advised by my doctor that they can cause allergic reactions after many months/years of use and can cause permanent nail damage. the reason that the polish stays on so long is due to the gel containing a form of 'glue' that adheres to the nail bed and when it is removed it take the very top layer of the nail with it.

suspect that acrylic nails are even worse but would take care with the gels.

i used shellac and after a couple of hours my hands were burning hot and red and throbbing. they claim to be hyper allogenic but clearly. i went back to the nail shop to have them removed and another lady there having a normal manicure told me that she had fungal infections when using them which she couldn't see since the polish covered them!!

take care

Latest posts

Back