What was your worst ever purchase?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Debbie Meyer's gold bags for bread and baked goods.

I had high hopes for these as I think the green bags are great. When they arrived I put half of my loaf in one and left the other in its original bag. After just a few days I had used my half loaf so I went to get a slice from the gold bag.

:signeek: The bread was covered in thick green mould :eekhair:

I tried again with a different loaf and the result was the same, I returned them to QVC and told them about my 'experiments'. They refunded me including P&P and I've not seen them on air since :star:

I had high hopes for these as I think the green bags are great. When they arrived I put half of my loaf in one and left the other in its original bag. After just a few days I had used my half loaf so I went to get a slice from the gold bag.

I tried again with a different loaf and the result was the same, I returned them to QVC and told them about my 'experiments'. They refunded me including P&P and I've not seen them on air since :star:

I have a similar story than Starlight, the Debbie Meyers green and definitely the gold bags are carp:eek::eek::eek:
I stay away from all kind of gadgets now that the presenters are pushing down our throats:p

An epiphany platinum clad russian wedding ring..... after wearing the ring the first day, all the platinum disappeared!! Back it went and put me off buyung QVC jewellery

I think one of the worst things I bought were in the early days some things that were meant to keep fizzy drinks fizzy once opened. They did not work so back they went.

Markon Boots, quite the most uncomfortable things ever. A magic torch, kept it in case of a power cut, power cut came torch was as dead as a Dodo, wound it up for ages - electricity came back on within the hour - torch went in the bin

hi
mine was a car wash thing, which was a pipe attached to a sponge and you had to put the pipe in a bucket of water, and the water supposed to come up the pipe into the sponge so you could wash your car, me and boyf spent ages trying to get the water up the flipping pipe, to no avail, my boyf then spent 3 hours telling me qvc sell a load of rubbish and this proved it, and worse still i never got round to sending it back, so its stuck up in the attic lol

That pasta thing - basically a pot that you poured water into to heat up pasta. I thought it would be useful for when I stay away from home and I get back to hotels late as I could just take dry pasta with me and use a kettle in the room to make it.

Result: soggy, half cooked, half raw pasta that tasted like crap.

Didn't take me long to realise i'd paid way over the odds for this rubbish gadget when a 79p Pot Noodle works just as well :D

It went back and I resolved never to watch late night shows again, clearly my wits are addled after 11pm!

LOL I bought one of those a few years ago but never used the thing.....don't s'pose I'll bother now. And it seemed such a good idea at the time. :SUE: I just use it to store the long packets of spagetti in. :p :pPC:

A TSV Flower Preserver kit.

It was based on wax, which you heated on the cooker, and then dipped in fresh flowers.
Voila!
Out came your fresh-as-the-morning, beautiful, scented blooms, looking just like ... plastic.
Two weeks after I bought it I had a letter from QVC warning that the wax heated up to a temperature similar to the sun's core on a hot day, and it was a major hazard.

Hey ho...

I also bought one of those easy-peasy graters which comes with various blades and prepares salads in seconds.
As if!
All I ever grated was the skin on my hands.
Ouch.

I also bought one of those easy-peasy graters which comes with various blades and prepares salads in seconds.
As if!
All I ever grated was the skin on my hands.
Ouch.

One of the funniest threads on the old forum was on a similar item which many of us bought - a version of a Japanese mandolin.

It was fricking lethal!!! Both hubby and I took some chunks out of ourselves with it and that was using it as instructed and with the guard! To give its due it did what it said on the tin but it just wasn't worth risking your digits for perfectly sliced cucumber!

Ours went in the bin before one of us lost a finger to it and i'm not jesting, I seem to remember from the old thread that one FM got quite badly injured with it.

If it helps guys it wasn't our fault, I watched a repeat of a Rick Stein cookery programme recently and he nearly removed a digit on his too, all you heard was cursing bleeped out and then when he came back on his finger was bandaged up :D

I have 2...
Alpha H, made me think I had been sprayed with mace!
The V slicer,first time I used it the guard shot off one way and I lost the top of my little finger down to the bone and half the nail.
4 hours in A&E,4 wks off work and a blade phobia later... not a great purchase!

I enjoy these comments especially when Fraggles on shes very funny :D

I have 2...
Alpha H, made me think I had been sprayed with mace!
The V slicer,first time I used it the guard shot off one way and I lost the top of my little finger down to the bone and half the nail.
4 hours in A&E,4 wks off work and a blade phobia later... not a great purchase!

Awww Squeezy, i had a moment with one of those things to not so bad mind you, just clipped my knuckle but it was enough to put me off for life!!

Same here - I told QVC they were not 'fit for purpose' - they couldn't refund me fast enough :D. I keep looking for them so i can leave a review but funnily enough they have never reappeared....!

My worst purchase was the window washers. How easy did it look in the demonstration? Looked like the blades just glided across your windows. No such luck!! You needed to be Hulk Hogan to drag the darn things. They have now been relegated to the shed. Talking of Hulk Hogan, another worse purchase was his grill. I was taken in by the fact that you could cook a pizza on it. Could you heck as like. We tried it once and our neighbours dog could have used it for a frizzbee!! I think the reason I bought it was the Hulk had Dale in a headlock and I must have thought I could save him by buying one of his grills!!:D Then QVC sent me a letter saying that there was a possibility it could catch fire if you used oil on the hot plates. Too late for me as it had gone to the charity shop the week before!! Everytime three was a house fire in my area I was terrified it was as a result of my grill:eek:

Oh Debbie Meyer Green Bags lol... I stupidly bought 2 packs of these at the outlet for £2.99 thinking i'd like to give them a go - can't say I found any success with them because I didn't so now i'm using them up as dog poop bags lol, highly recommended actually for that, they're very sturdy :p - think they'll have me on as a T caller? :cool::D

Spacer-saver bags as flogged by that dreadful Cleasby woman. All the air leaked back in after a while - useless! :rolleyes:

i think our worst ever buys were the awia stereo ,total rubbish , bright bites an absolutely con as they did not work , ojon hair product made my hair look as dry as a bone , weve brought that much since qvc started i cant remember all the stuff , oh yes a tefel juicer that packed up 3 weeks after buying it :cool:

Ah Brite Bites - I remember those! That guy used to come on with a cardboard cutout of himself when he was fat (which I used to think didn't look that much different than he was now!)

They used to show videos of testimonials from people (British) who had lost loads of weight by eating these, but they were all still overweight and really unconvincing :rolleyes:

Wasn't the guy the son of the founder of QVC or something?

Great thread, hilarious,
In the early days I bought a metal plating kit, hopeless.
Then there was a set of books endorsed by Debbie Flint, a waste of space

Oooh, Ahh...yes the Brite Bites and the space bags, some silicone things you put over metal handled pans to pick them up - too big and just tipped the pan over! :eek: There was a penguin steam thingy - just dribbled water all over the place. :confused: Some plastic ring things that you were supposed to put material through to make them look like expensive curtains. :rolleyes: Oh, I've shopped with them so long I can't remember all the tat! :eek: How embarrassing!

Latest posts

Back