Jilly What Are You Wearing.....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Firstly lol about the baby sick, yes a bit of an unfortunate placement!!! And yes, when it does come to smart casual for even the 50+ (depending upon how well you've aged I guess) a smart casual look can be difficult as it's so easy to look like a recycled teenager, or to achieve a look that's not quite right. I think the best anyone can do, avoid slogans and large logos, make sure clothes aren't too tight, or too baggy, go for colours that compliment your skin tone - Too pale, and too bright can equally make you looked washed out, and take into account the way you have your hair. Working in retail, I see a lot of sights eg an old dear with a shampoo and set, wearing jeans, hotter shoes, T shirt and, cardi, but there's one lady who's well into her 80's, she wears a short straight style and she wears rolled up cargo pants, sandals, and stripey t shirts and she looks fabulous! I'm sure she'd rock Ruth's sicky jacket a treat! As they saying goes, "You either have, or you haven't got style" - It's a damn shame that those who are trying to sell us style on QVC haven't got any either!
I too work in retailing and the favoured look for my over 60 ladies seems to be pink hair, tattooed bingo wings, ultra long plastic talons and cold shoulder tops are still all the rage teamed with cropped leggings and grubby trainers or flip flops.

At the other end of the age range my customers aged between 10 and 19 either dress as goth or ladies of the night, it's not unusual to see a 13 year old in full make up with false nails and eyelashes in a skimpy cropped top and tiny shorts or micro skirt and clumpy trainers.

My nephew's getting married in September, I saw a dress yesterday that I love but don't know whether a woman, who'll be one month away from 63, can wear a full skirted dress that has a solid black top with a Bardot neckline...
Of course you can, a solid black top is classic and understated, with lovely jewellery and accessories you'll look amazing.

My nephew's getting married in September, I saw a dress yesterday that I love but don't know whether a woman, who'll be one month away from 63, can wear a full skirted dress that has a solid black top with a Bardot neckline...
I don't see why not? shame you can't try anything on any more..but I'm sure it'll look lovely!

I saw Jilly in that outfit yesterday and have really criticised her in the past to the point of anger as to how she can not see how awful she looks.The more fitted garments I thought were although far from perfect a step in the right direction from the MW ship in full sail, blanket over the head things ladies of a larger frame turn to.I wear jeans but tend to go for the darkest blue or black and never with heels.Also casual shoes but not trainers, or anything with these thick white soles which seem to be everywhere now.
White soles look clumsy & after being worn a few times look clumsy & grubby

I saw Jilly in that outfit yesterday and have really criticised her in the past to the point of anger as to how she can not see how awful she looks.The more fitted garments I thought were although far from perfect a step in the right direction from the MW ship in full sail, blanket over the head things ladies of a larger frame turn to.I wear jeans but tend to go for the darkest blue or black and never with heels.Also casual shoes but not trainers, or anything with these thick white soles which seem to be everywhere now.
What gets me, especially when it comes to dressing the presenters (who are all different shapes and sizes) is that they make the most basic of errors. What ever happened to "give us a twirl"? If they'd done that before they went on air, seeing Jilly side on should've elicited an "Er - no, let's try something else"! Whilst it is a refreshing change not to see a larger lady decked out like a stately galleon, surely it doesn't have to go right down to the overstuffed sausage end of the spectrum! Going back to Jilly's outfit, the colours were all wrong for her too, not only did she look really washed out, the pale colours accentuated the bad fit. They must spend all of 5 minutes on prep for these shows, and that's being generous!
I guess if they're selling awful clothes, I suppose it stands to reason that everybody looks awful in them! That said, they should at least try to make an effort!

You’ll only be a month away from 62, you mean. Any birthdays during a lock down don’t count and can be discarded. 🙂

As a 70 yo i do find casual difficult as I spent 50 years in a business suit during the day and when home in scruffy jeans to do housework and gardening.

Being the wrong height and shape doesn’t help

I agree with all the posts re Jilly. She is a very attractive lady, and it doesn’t say much for the stylists if they can’t make her look good. That bomber jacket with the baby sick over the shoulder is horrendous. I spent many months with that look when my children were babies! Ruth is all trussed up looking like a ships figurehead, trying to convince us that her offerings are either ‘rock chic’ or ‘soccer mom’. She seems to be the darling of QVC at the moment ( and adding to her millions at the same time)

Sorry, but had to find a suitable thread for this comment 'cause it's not got enough meat on it to merit a new one. It's more about Ruth than Jilly, but Jilly does feature. Now for a while we've been less than complimentary on Ruth's penchant for wearing jeans as if they were office wear, with tight fitting jumpers and stiletto heels - She must've listened 'cause last night she was wearing them rolled up at the ankles with a pair of trainers ,a tucked in t - shirt, and a bomber jacket. I'm not sure the jeans were "hers" as they weren't on the itinerary but they looked far too tight round the tummy and imo they looked a bit grubby. Looks like poor Jilly was roped into to do JK's usual gig....poor thing was a "symphony in beige" her outfit consisted of beige trousers, a sludgy khaki bomber jacket and a white t shirt - Not only did she looked washed out, the clothes were far too tight and when she turned around the side, the look was even more horrendous. Ruth just can't seem to get it right (or should I blame the stylist)? Instead of achieving a casual look - her and Jilly were literally a wellington boot away from looking like they were off to muck out a stable. I won't say they looked as though they'd already done the job, but the pair of them just looked scruffy, which is not good when you're trying to shift expensive overpriced clothes!

Sounds gorgeous; is the skirt patterned?

I too work in retailing and the favoured look for my over 60 ladies seems to be pink hair, tattooed bingo wings, ultra long plastic talons and cold shoulder tops are still all the rage teamed with cropped leggings and grubby trainers or flip flops.

At the other end of the age range my customers aged between 10 and 19 either dress as goth or ladies of the night, it's not unusual to see a 13 year old in full make up with false nails and eyelashes in a skimpy cropped top and tiny shorts or micro skirt and clumpy trainers.
I know this is in the East , but it really sounds like Croydon!! I'm amazed.
Having said that I haven't been in a 'The works' since forever, so maybe they are all like that.

Twilight, that is a lovely dress, very classy, give it a go and if you feel comfortable fine, you are a youngster.When I was 60s my GP told me that was the new 30, he
after changed it to 40 but I was still OK with that.Now approaching 74!

Twilight, that is a lovely dress, very classy, give it a go and if you feel comfortable fine, you are a youngster.When I was 60s my GP told me that was the new 30, he
after changed it to 40 but I was still OK with that.Now approaching 74!
Thank you, I've ordered it so will see how it looks.

Latest posts

Back