Mary Portas on QVC...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I love it.
I can't decide whether my favourite bit of it was "QVC must be where scriptwriters on a reprimand are sent to spend some time on the naughty step." or "this channel is so stuck in the 1980s you can almost smell the Elnett hairspray singeing under the studio lights".
Brilliant.

Prompt postage? :taphead:

Aw, I *love* the stuck-in-the-eighties thing at QVC, that's what's so fab about it, it's like going back to my childhood and re-discovering a reasurring, bygone, tacky age :giggle:. Hand on heart, the first time OH and I saw a Tova beauty hour we thought it was a mickey-take :nod:. We had only seen QVC about twice and we honestly spent ten minutes or so goggling at the telly and glancing at each other and trying to work out if everyone else who was watching was in on the joke :grin:

Pity she didn't comment on the fashion as well, too much to bear I should think.

She has got it so right!

Someone commented about the elderly and housebound, which is very true. Not everybody has access to, or shops on the internet. A lot of what QVC do is aimed at this market rather than the young and trendy who probably wouldn't be watching anyway.

Maybe there should be a trendy upmarket QVC2!! :nod:

If Mary thinks QVC is bad she would have to lie in a darkened room for months if she analysed IW and the others??

Most importantly, she forgot to mention this forum and it's reliance on QVC – how would we cope, what would we do for entertainment, I might have to get a new life!!! :sweat:

I have a question for QVC. You haven’t had the burden of investing capital in bricks-and-mortar stores, and it doesn't look to me like you’ve invested much in your sets (though all that fake tan doesn’t come cheap), so where has all the money gone? Because it’s certainly not on your website. You have the opportunity to be the Asos (Other OTC: ASOMF.PK - news) or Net (Berlin: NETK.BE - news) -a-Porter of the consumer goods world. But I’m afraid you’re falling far short of the mark.

:eek:
What will Dermot say?

Loved it!! and I loved the second comment too (was it written by a forumite as it mentioned many of our gripes?) which talked about the meat they sell being described by the presenters as if it had been "hand reared by David Attenborough" hilarious .

I have long thought that QVC will eventually become a victime of on line shopping, I notice that they are doing more and more easy pays which let's face is the only thing that no other retailer offers. It has become a parody of itself too, another reason I find it quite amusing to watch, when you have three people raphrodising (sp!!) over some naff solar fountain or twirly spinny thing for the garden I just sit there and giggle.

I cant help thinking there may be a a taste of sour grapes in Ms Portas' mouth because she didn't come up with the concept, wasn't consulted on the concept and hasn't been invited to improve the concept of TV home shopping. As far as she's concerned if it didn't come out of her mouth it doesn't count. The market she panders to is totally different to QVC's. The closest she got to it was when she made over that awful clothes shop in that nasty precinct in her last TV series. The extent of her advice was to put in changing rooms with themes, tidy up the shop, and get the assistants to stop grunting at customers. Hail Mary! what would we do without her?

I also disagree with her comments about the sets and overall look and feel of the channel. That's something which has come on leaps and bounds since I've been watching. She seems to overlook the fact that the last thing QVC wants to do is alienate the audience. It has to look cosy and familiar. Perhaps Mary would rather the presenters sell products in front of a Jonathan Ross Show style view of New York by night, through fake panoramic windows? If you want plastic 80's sets dear, go take a look at his new series.

Wow look at me defending QVC to the hilt, but you know what? Mary Portas is a brand herself, and an arrogant bitch to boot. so she can f*** off back to Knightsbridge as far as I'm concerned. :O)

I agree with some of BurlZ points. I have never been offended by dated sets and fake tans. The presenters do a pretty good imitation of sincerity most of the time. I would rather watch qvc than the hysteria-fuelled jewellery channels. She even got sucked into watching in spite of herself. Pity she only seems to have seen a jewellery show - whatever would she have said about the fashion!! Strangely, one of her plus points was qvc's prompt postage. Most of us would beg to disagree. So I'm not altogether sure where she's coming from with this article. Teeth will be gnashing at qvc towers.

I don't see how Mary P can give a true report of how QVC operates if all she did was sit through a jewellery hour.

She should have sat through an afternoon's worth of shows, plus bought a few different items via phone, internet and iPhone app.

And then waited to see how quickly they arrived, and attempted to return stuff both under the DSR and the 30 day MBG.

But she doesn't, which makes for a review of a show she watched and not of QVC as a seller.

Poor show, Mary!

That's all very true.
Bit like reviewing a book after only reading the blurb on the back cover.

I agree with some of BurlZ points. I have never been offended by dated sets and fake tans. The presenters do a pretty good imitation of sincerity most of the time. I would rather watch qvc than the hysteria-fuelled jewellery channels. She even got sucked into watching in spite of herself. Pity she only seems to have seen a jewellery show - whatever would she have said about the fashion!! Strangely, one of her plus points was qvc's prompt postage. Most of us would beg to disagree. So I'm not altogether sure where she's coming from with this article. Teeth will be gnashing at qvc towers.

"The last reported figures show that QVC (UK) had retail sales of £367.9 million in 2009. Time, then, to put my prejudices to one side and check it out."

If the above quote from Mary is true, I doubt QVC will give a flying fig!

"Perhaps Mary would rather the presenters sell products in front of a Jonathan Ross Show style view of New York by night, through fake panoramic windows?"

hey! they used to have exactly that! on the supernails shows - remember?? :wink:

Latest posts

Back