Is QVC Delivery Dangerous?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I worked for many many years as a local authority housing officer. The borough is in central London. In the early days anyone could and did apply for social housing as along as they had a local connection through work or living in the borough for a certain amount of years. Or were fleeing violence from their partner. The only reason why all the housing stock was not sold off was the prices even then were very high. Now these council flats are worth half a million for a one bed or a bedsit. To say the London housing market is over heated is an understatement.

Imvho, the problem wasn’t the sale of council houses but the failure to reinvest the proceeds in social housing.

Im another who has had to abandon BBC News. To discover that Sky New was less biased was a shock to me. Whenever the 10.00 show came on fronted by the blonde woman called Martine? Martina? we always used to say ”and now, from Transport House..” although I don’t think that has been Labour HQ for years! But even good news from the government was delivered in a voice of doom, it was beyond a farce. The other show I had to abandon was the Radio4 Today programme. The unbelievable rudeness and constant interruptions! Even Nick Ferrari, who can be quite feisty, is more even handed than that! So I listen to him now. Mind you, I no longer listen to James O’Brien (very left wing, very Remain) on LBC because he is so rude to people of a different opinion, and yet David Lammy who is an actual Labour MP is unfailingly polite to his callers. Actually I wasn’t expecting much from David Lammy as a presenter but I was wrong about that and if he ever loses his seat he should get a job at LBC.

A bit off topic but OH's best friend has gone missing. OH meets her every Friday for coffee in town, and they go on art holidays together,

The friend, I'll call her J, but actually the story is now in our local rag, went missing on Wednesday. Before that, she rang up to cancel a hair appt saying she was not well, then she went out in her car, and hasn't been seen since.

The police contacted OH yesterday as she is her best friend, and told her to go to their usual cafe for coffee this morning just in case she turns up.

The police have said there is "concern for her welfare", and to ring 999 with any info (surprised they said to use 999).

She lives in a very large isolated house in the country, which has been divided into 2 parts. She lives in one half, her husband lives in the other, but they never speak to each other.

Patsy - just watch Homes Under the Hammer !

Yep, I was an estate agent during the 'sell off' years om the 70s and 80s, when sitting tenants bought their homes. Then if they sold before 5 years after, they had to give back a percentage to the Council, then it was reduced to 3. I doubt if its anything now.

I remember at the time asking where all the money was going, because no new council homes were being built. Its always been the case that private rentals are more expensive than authority renting.

Despite being in estate agency, and living in a council flat, I remember having heated discussions with local solicitors (over lunch) as to why I had resisted buying my flat. (one of those conversations you never forget). I said 'where the hell are future young people going to live if we all buy our council rented ? - remember this was in the early 80s, and it was met with derision because it was all about 'making money'.

Anyway, a few years later, the Council started to sell of their stock of flats and maisonettes to Housing Associations, and the rents were going to rise exponentially. My husband had always gone along with my point of view, but he said it wasn't financially viable anymore - the rents were going to be much more per month than mortgage repayments !! how stupid was that ? So though it went against my grain of it being morally wrong, we went ahead with the purchase.
[/QUOT
A bit off topic but OH's best friend has gone missing. OH meets her every Friday for coffee in town, and they go on art holidays together,

The friend, I'll call her J, but actually the story is now in our local rag, went missing on Wednesday. Before that, she rang up to cancel a hair appt saying she was not well, then she went out in her car, and hasn't been seen since.

The police contacted OH yesterday as she is her best friend, and told her to go to their usual cafe for coffee this morning just in case she turns up.

The police have said there is "concern for her welfare", and to ring 999 with any info (surprised they said to use 999).

She lives in a very large isolated house in the country, which has been divided into 2 parts. She lives in one half, her husband lives in the other, but they never speak to each other.
Hope she is safe.

Imvho, the problem wasn’t the sale of council houses but the failure to reinvest the proceeds in social housing.

Im another who has had to abandon BBC News. To discover that Sky New was less biased was a shock to me. Whenever the 10.00 show came on fronted by the blonde woman called Martine? Martina? we always used to say ”and now, from Transport House..” although I don’t think that has been Labour HQ for years! But even good news from the government was delivered in a voice of doom, it was beyond a farce. The other show I had to abandon was the Radio4 Today programme. The unbelievable rudeness and constant interruptions! Even Nick Ferrari, who can be quite feisty, is more even handed than that! So I listen to him now. Mind you, I no longer listen to James O’Brien (very left wing, very Remain) on LBC because he is so rude to people of a different opinion, and yet David Lammy who is an actual Labour MP is unfailingly polite to his callers. Actually I wasn’t expecting much from David Lammy as a presenter but I was wrong about that and if he ever loses his seat he should get a job at LBC.
I probably should have added that to my comment that any proceeds from sales should have been set aside to be invested in new stock.

3 years ago the house next door was sold to a woman down London to add to her "portfolio". A couple with 2 kiddies moved in from London. They knew the woman in London.

They are really nice. Their stories of life down there are awful. Originally from Somalia when they were little and his parents tales of there were terrifying. His brother was murdered in London and her sister is in custody for stabbing her boyfriend. They were terrified to go out of the door.

They lived in a high-rise one bedroomed flat with the 2 kiddies. Nowhere for them to play.

Anyway they got offered next door and moved in. They had never heard of heckmondwike. They love it. They have a garden and the children can play out back safely. They don't feel threatened when they go to the shops. They both have a job now and I think they will be our neighbours for a long time.

Sadly the though their families don't get on, so if they visit their parents in London at all she goes to hers and he goes to his. Something to do with them being different kinds of Muslims. Now that is a shame. They don't go back to London often now. Can't say I blame them.

OH was in the cafe with another friend when a uniformed policeman arrived to ask her more questions and also the rest of the customers as well, as most are regulars.

She is very impressed that they are putting a lot of effort into their enquiries.

One strange thing, her husband rang OH (she has known him for years) and he said he had bought J some flowers, which is unheard of. OH thinks they may have had a row before this and she drove off in a temper, and the flowers were to say sorry.

BTW I knew 2 people who disappeared without trace (separately, not connected) and were never found, but that is another story,

Last edited:
Seems like bad news has just broken.

The police have found her car in a car park in the small town where OH lives, and there was a dead woman in the back seat.

Lots of unanswered questions and investigations to be done, such as why she was on the back seat, why did no-one see her earlier, and did this car park have CCTV etc.

OH is obviously distraught, although she was fearing the worst. I thought the car may have been found miles away in a remote area, not in a town car park.

So sorry, Strato. I had a bad feeling the moment I read your text as this is exactly what my friend did a few years ago.

Hers was a suicide. Hard to believe that someone who seemed completely normal could just go and do that but she left several notes. Very sad.

Apparently no notes were left, and as she cancelled her hair appt because she said she felt ill then it could have been natural causes. She may have moved to the back seat to lie down more comfortably.

It was a large car park so it's not surprising that a passer-by didn't notice her.

It is a pay and display so she may have bought a ticket which would show when she arrived.

Latest posts

Back