The stench of humans.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I suspect I have one of the strangest smell obsessions in the world - I love the smell of industrial freezers. When I was a child I used to race to the far end of Sainsburys and stick my head in them whilst my poor shamed mother went round the rest of the store doing the weeks shop. I can't count the amount of times she had to virtually pull me out by my little feet as I dangled my body over the side to shove my nose ever nearer to the Lean Cuisines :taphead: :giggle:

I used to sniff the 'striker strip' of my Dad's Swan Vesta ( sp?) matches you reminded me of how I used to love watching him load his pipe with tobacco ( can't remember the brand but used to bring back packs of Duty Free!) & light with his SW matches.By the way am now SOOOOOO anti smoking!!!!!

Ah yes, the smell of a blown-out match!!! I love the smell of shoe polish, Kiwi tan! Though always hated doing them of a Sunday night on the kitchen floor after putting newspaper down. Seems like a million years ago now. Anyone tried the Pure Radiance yankees? They look very sleek, wondering what the smells are like. And also - what does everyone do with their used jars? Seems a shame to just chuck them away/recycle. Some of them do burn to the sides but some tunnel now matter how long they burn for. The pure radiance ones boast some new wick technology, is this just more marketing cobblers or do they burn 'better'?

I suspect I have one of the strangest smell obsessions in the world - I love the smell of industrial freezers. When I was a child I used to race to the far end of Sainsburys and stick my head in them whilst my poor shamed mother went round the rest of the store doing the weeks shop. I can't count the amount of times she had to virtually pull me out by my little feet as I dangled my body over the side to shove my nose ever nearer to the Lean Cuisines :taphead: :giggle:

that is weird. lol! i didn't even know there was a smell in there. i also forgot about lean cuisine. i think i used to get them sometimes.

Speckledhen, that is so funny--marker pens and petrol, I like the smell of new carpets and have been known to go into carpet shops just to smell them....secretly of course.

Yes I am not alone, I adore baby powder and cut grass etc but nothing beats new carpet smell.

BIG LOL - I hope not

Thanks so much Loveinamist, have ordered two new car fragrance hangers, and may order another one for my pushbike :giggle:
Am also watching the autumn lodge candle.
Any joy on the firelighters and new catalogues? lol

They contain formaldehyde, imagine Charlie asking "What fragrance do we have here Rosie?" "Ah! Charlie, embalming fluid. To stop you waxing lyrical, hopefully!"

that is weird. lol! i didn't even know there was a smell in there. i also forgot about lean cuisine. i think i used to get them sometimes.

The freezers kind of smell of - well freezers really. Stick your head in next time you're in a supermarket and let me know what you think :nod: :giggle:

PS: I seem to remember Sharon on Birds of a Feather once saying that the only problem with Lean Cuisines is that you needed to eat four of them before you felt full :grin:

When I was pregnant - many, many years ago..................I loved he smell of cauliflower cooking and I was always emptying the hoover because I also loved the smell of the dust bag!!!!!

Smells can have a weird effect on cats too, it seems. My cat, a black and white moggie who would insist on being addressed as "his majesty" if he were able to talk....has suddenly developped a fettish for the smell is Shea butter shower cream.... after I have washed my hair in it. He was in kitty bliss head butting my head, even nibbling my hair and scalp as if in ecstasy! Catnip has NO effect on him, though, but give him shea butter and I gotta hide. It's just weird! Suffice to say I won't be buying any candles with a shea butter smell!

My cocker spaniel loves the elemis frangipani moisture melt on me and I have to make sure my legs and feet are covered after a shower! She is as mad as a fruitcake tho!

I can't believe someone else used to do this too - I used to sniff them so much that I got frosty nostrils! So worth it though.

Other scent obsessions mentioned here which I identify with: petrol; new carpet; new catalogues; blown-out matches; WD40. I would also like to add Pritt-Sticks and Creosote to the list. Lush. And the smell of rain on hot tarmac.

Last edited:
All this talk about smells reminded me of a poem that we read at school. I could only remember the last line but Google provided the rest :)

By: Christopher Morley

Why is it that the poet tells
So little of the sense of smell?
These are the odors I love well:

The smell of coffee freshly ground;
Or rich plum pudding, holly crowned;
Or onions fried and deeply browned.

The fragrance of a fumy pipe;
The smell of apples, newly ripe;
And printer's ink on leaden type.

Woods by moonlight in September
Breathe most sweet, and I remember
Many a smoky camp-fire ember.

Camphor, turpentine, and tea,
The balsam of a Christmas tree,
These are whiffs of gramarye. . .
A ship smells best of all to me!

Personally, I like bleach and chlorine at the swimming baths.

That poem is brilliant! Isn't it camphor in moth balls as I love sniffing those too, and Annabanana, I agree creosote is sublime!

I spent long holidays in Canada as a little girl. Broke away from the families, sightseeing, rushed to the edge of the kerb and inhaled the diesel fumes of a bus. Returned back to frightened relatives stating, "Smells of home!" These days, I prefer Estée.

Latest posts

Back