Hotel Chocolat TSV 17/10/20

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I loved my school dinners. I couldn't manage the pink custard or tapioca, though. Luckily, we weren't forced to sit there until we ate the lot.

I did get punched in the stomach by the headmaster for refusing to come out of the changing room at the pool during swimming lessons as my period had started. I was nine and equally mortified and terrified. He was a piece of work.

I loved my school dinners. I couldn't manage the pink custard or tapioca, though. Luckily, we weren't forced to sit there until we ate the lot.

I did get punched in the stomach by the headmaster for refusing to come out of the changing room at the pool during swimming lessons as my period had started. I was nine and equally mortified and terrified. He was a piece of work.
That`s terrible and it goes to show how some teachers were born bullies and unfit for the job. I`ve no idea how many years ago you suffered such abuse but it reminds me of my Primary school teachers some of whom would dish out corporal punishment for the slightest misdemeanor.
I recall one girl being shamed in front of us all because her Mother sent her to school wearing trousers which our Primary school headmaster strictly forbade. He was downright cruel to her and we`d only be 8 or 9 years old.
I had rulers slapped across my palms many a time for giving wrong answers or failing to recite a times table correctly and it wasn`t unusual for boys to be caned. My Primary school education began in the 50`s and it was a time when Policemen could clip someone across the head and teachers were often a law unto themselves and some parents could discipline with belts or sticks and even Priests and Nuns could lash out on a whim. Large parts of the good old days were certainly NOT the good old days !

Yes Vienna, teachers were bullies. I'm going back to the 60's but they were awful. Always smacking you and humiliating you in front of others and this was primary school kids. Secondary was another chapter of horrors. Makes me wonder if they were the cause of my always feeling insignificant.

CC

The teachers at my junior school in particular were bullies, but bullied "mentally" rather than physically. They knew who the "popular" kids were, therefore in a p.e/sports lesson, they'd choose these kids as team captains, thus allowing them to choose their cronies first. When the "dregs" were left, teachers would stand by and watch these kids being insulted, and often reduced to tears - and guess which kids got reprimanded? "Don't be a baby x...go and join your team, and don't spoil it for everybody else". Popular kids were regularly given higher grades. One particular bitch of a teacher, was obssessed with talking about fashion with a few of the better dressed girls in the class, and this would often spill into teaching time..A couple of kids were chatting in the background once, and she pointed over and bellowed "Be quiet, you scruffy little ragamuffins, I'm trying to have a conversation!" Seriously, at the age of 10, I could recognise mental bullying! Another teacher "music" this time would insist that each class member would have to come to the front of the class and sing in front of everybody. Obviously the less confident the child was, the less likely they wanted to do it. He would happily tell kids that if they refused to do it ,they'd be kept in at breaktime. When they did sing he'd actually make derogatory comments about their singing ability, and allow the rest of the class to erupt into laughter.
Secondary school was a completely different kettle of fish (thank God). Teachers were very strict, but fair and never showed any sign of favouritism or mental cruelty.

Last edited:
Yes Vienna, teachers were bullies. I'm going back to the 60's but they were awful. Always smacking you and humiliating you in front of others and this was primary school kids. Secondary was another chapter of horrors. Makes me wonder if they were the cause of my always feeling insignificant.

CC
Oh CC, your comment makes me extremely angry & sad. You're NOT insignificant, you're witty, bright, talented, kind & totally SIGNIFICANT. I know this just from your posts on here so those who know & love you in RL will say the same. Please don't give up another second of your life thinking about those who have put you down, they were inadequate & cruel 💐

I had two fingers broken when our teacher hit my hand with a ruler using the narrow edge. He did this when he saw that I hadn't put my house point stickers onto the class chart; I didn't want to be in Percival, I wanted to be in Lancelot, other children had moved house but I couldn't so I just ignored any successes. I was determined not to cry & bit the inside of my mouth so hard I still have the scars 53 years later. It was one of the lunchtime supervisors who saw the state of my hands & sent me to the medical room, my mum was called into school & I can remember the sight of her marching up the drive with my little sister whose feet were barely touching the slabs! I spent Christmas with my hands strapped up & moved to another school in January. Having worked in an outstanding school for 20 years, & with a daughter who is a primary school teacher, I have to say things are very different now & in some ways the pendulum has swung too far the other way.

My OH really liked her present and the drinks, it was a complete surprise and she didn't know such a thing existed.

In fact, she thinks the copper one is so attractive that when it is not in use she is keeping it on display in the living room with her favourite ornaments.

And of course, giving her one also means I can velvetise when I am staying with her :)

My OH really liked her present and the drinks, it was a complete surprise and she didn't know such a thing existed.

In fact, she thinks the copper one is so attractive that when it is not in use she is keeping it on display in the living room with her favourite ornaments.

And of course, giving her one also means I can velvetise when I am staying with her :)
You doing so well until the last sentence o_O ;)

Do please redeem yourself by using your own sachets :ROFLMAO:

Ah. Before I bought the frother I'd put the cocoa powder in the mug and mix it with a small amount of milk until smooth. Pre-micro days I'd pour hot water on to make it up but using a micro I do the same then top up with milk and heat.

I can dump the powder onto the milk in the frother and it mixes it no problem. Does the HC do a good job if you just do this?

Yes it does.

The teachers at my junior school in particular were bullies, but bullied "mentally" rather than physically. They knew who the "popular" kids were, therefore in a p.e/sports lesson, they'd choose these kids as team captains, thus allowing them to choose their cronies first. When the "dregs" were left, teachers would stand by and watch these kids being insulted, and often reduced to tears - and guess which kids got reprimanded? "Don't be a baby x...go and join your team, and don't spoil it for everybody else". Popular kids were regularly given higher grades. One particular bitch of a teacher, was obssessed with talking about fashion with a few of the better dressed girls in the class, and this would often spill into teaching time..A couple of kids were chatting in the background once, and she pointed over and bellowed "Be quiet, you scruffy little ragamuffins, I'm trying to have a conversation!" Seriously, at the age of 10, I could recognise mental bullying! Another teacher "music" this time would insist that each class member would have to come to the front of the class and sing in front of everybody. Obviously the less confident the child was, the less likely they wanted to do it. He would happily tell kids that if they refused to do it ,they'd be kept in at breaktime. When they did sing he'd actually make derogatory comments about their singing ability, and allow the rest of the class to erupt into laughter.
Secondary school was a completely different kettle of fish (thank God). Teachers were very strict, but fair and never showed any sign of favouritism or mental cruelty.
Your comments about the PE lessons are spot on but this happened to me at secondary. I was always the "dregs" and left standing with the Asian girls who were just as bad as me at netball and the like - because I was only 4ft 11in. Then old witch teacher would pick which team the leftovers would go on and the team captains would moan and pull faces and "why do we have to have her". On the day I could leave that sh*thole of a school I was out of there. Never looked back. That games teacher should have been sacked and she had a big a*se as well as a big gob. There. I feel better now 😐

CC

The only time I was ever picked to play rugby was when the field was very muddy so the lines couldn't be seen. So I was picked (together with 3 of my friends) for the FIRST team!!! But only to stand in the corners of the pitch so the players would know where the limits of the pitch were. :)

Your comments about the PE lessons are spot on but this happened to me at secondary. I was always the "dregs" and left standing with the Asian girls who were just as bad as me at netball and the like - because I was only 4ft 11in. Then old witch teacher would pick which team the leftovers would go on and the team captains would moan and pull faces and "why do we have to have her". On the day I could leave that sh*thole of a school I was out of there. Never looked back. That games teacher should have been sacked and she had a big a*se as well as a big gob. There. I feel better now 😐

CC

I was very sporty until I discovered boys (way too early, probably due to my stupid hormones!). I was 13 with a much older boyfriend (by 10 years) and suddenly pulled out of sports because I was much too embarrassed to change in front of my friends. I all of a sudden (thanks to the boyfriend who ended up being my ex-husband), I became very self-conscious of my body (ex was always happy to point out my 'faults'). Not to mention the 'love-bites' I was trying to hide!

The PE teacher was most annoyed with me as I was fast (as in speed ;)) and good at most sports. She was gutted I'd dropped out of teams and couldn't understand it. I can't now but I was young and very stupid.

Latest posts

Back