Gem Collector Prices

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It's a rare blue mineral that is part of the Sodalite group (but much nicer in gem quality specimens)

1180811144-Hauyn.jpg
Thank you

It's now 8.30pm - exactly half way through the 8pm until 9pm hour.

Emily has not sold one single item yet - she's giving a Troth-esque lecture on Hauyn.

So boring. They really have gone full 'Gems TV' on Gem Collector now.

RIP Gem Collector.
I skipped it. 8.10 and still showing ads (Emily's not great at using the hour. On this, Jim's much better).

Did you stay long enough to see any of the pieces I the flesh? Were they any good? Prices reasonable (I did see it was the Afghan material and very small, bar one)?

I skipped it. 8.10 and still showing ads (Emily's not great at using the hour. On this, Jim's much better).

Did you stay long enough to see any of the pieces I the flesh? Were they any good? Prices reasonable (I did see it was the Afghan material and very small, bar one)?
She was probably too busy chatting to someone and giggling constantly.

The stone itself was rich in colour but very cloudy (despite them calling it 'AAAA' grade). Also very expensive.

I bought one many years ago - tiny in size, but translucent gem quality.

They also had an Enhydro Quartz. 16 carats. £199 closing price. Absolutely ridiculous. They can be obtained from elsewhere for around £30.

😨😬🤷🏻‍♂️ Brecciated Jasper

Image 1: GC now, single quantity lot, final price
Image 2: Albion Fire & Ice, £3.50 (comparable dimensions). Similar at Chalmers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-02-11-19-18-52-380.jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-02-11-19-18-52-380.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2024-02-11-19-20-51-493.jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-02-11-19-20-51-493.jpeg
    530.3 KB · Views: 0
😨😬🤷🏻‍♂️ Brecciated Jasper

Image 1: GC now, single quantity lot, final price
Image 2: Albion Fire & Ice, £3.50 (comparable dimensions). Similar at Chalmers.

They're not even being discreet about their rip-off prices now. It's shocking.

I noticed that the Enhydro Quartz, that 'sold' for £199.99p yesterday has now 'bounced back' (presumably the buyer cancelled their order after seeing the final price) - and it sold again today for £149. £50.99p LESS than yesterday!

I noticed that the Enhydro Quartz, that 'sold' for £199.99p yesterday has now 'bounced back' (presumably the buyer cancelled their order after seeing the final price) - and it sold again today for £149. £50.99p LESS than yesterday!
I happened to be watching when that was put up again. Emily blustered it away with the reason that the item hadn't been specifically requested so the price wasn't reduced and the buyer cancelled. Fine, but odd.

Normally she's on top of the items checked out. They must see them and Jim is constantly referring to the fact. The other reason for thinking that it was blustering - unnecessary in my view - is that £199 is a very specific start price, especially if you're only taking it down to £149. Might be true but not the usual way that their guide vs final prices work...

It's now 8.30pm - exactly half way through the 8pm until 9pm hour.

Emily has not sold one single item yet - she's giving a Troth-esque lecture on Hauyn.

So boring. They really have gone full 'Gems TV' on Gem Collector now.

RIP Gem Collector.
If I glance over at Gem Collector and Emily's on, I switched over after 5 minutes. I can't stand her giggly persona, it's OTT and she talks and talks and..... When will these people learn that although it's great to get a bit of info/clarification thrown in, people don't want a 2-hour lecture. It is so boring. Alex used to irritate me as well, but she seems to have got worse since he went.

I happened to be watching when that was put up again. Emily blustered it away with the reason that the item hadn't been specifically requested so the price wasn't reduced and the buyer cancelled. Fine, but odd.

Normally she's on top of the items checked out. They must see them and Jim is constantly referring to the fact. The other reason for thinking that it was blustering - unnecessary in my view - is that £199 is a very specific start price, especially if you're only taking it down to £149. Might be true but not the usual way that their guide vs final prices work...

Sounds like an excuse to me. They usually prioritise the items that have sold out first - and then fill in the gaps at the end.

She's either making excuses for it being ridiculously overpriced (it still is at £149!.......) - or she's admitting that she spends that much time waffling and giggling, she didn't notice someone had checked it out.

... Alex used to irritate me as well, but she seems to have got worse since he went.
Agree. I feel that a switch was flicked when Alex left and they moved to the new studio layout. A definite commercial decision behind that move (perhaps both, who knows). A lot has changed with that facelift.

Fair enough, if that and the associated social media moves etc generates more revenue, but not for me. I preferred the less pushy, slightly informal approach. Even with Alex, you knew that you were in for a bit of market stall blather when he did his "No. 1 in the next hour. That's all I'm saying." routine but the rest was far more "let's have a look at, chat about these and see if I can get a bite with this price".

There might be some who may think that we're - or I am - being elitist or snobby. I am not. Those red Jaspers at those prices are so silly. How about this agate? Isn't it striking? Want to get it out and look at it more than once? £18 and you can.
african-lace-agate-cabochon-52.93-carats.-14103-p.jpg

I liked Alex - but he had 'reached his sell by date' I think. As you say, repetitive stories (many of which were far fetched and, imo, over-exaggerated to make a good story). The same old jokes for years. And I never quite got the whole music quiz on a gemstone channel thing either.

That being said, he was still better than Emily - and as much as I like Jim, he doesn't have the same spark on Gem Collector that he had on Gems TV.

The best presenters that GC had were Nick, Katie Ho and Lara De-Leuw.

Jeff would be PERFECT for Gem Collector.
I miss Lara. She grew on me :)

Yep, very reasonable price. Even JM used to do packs of 3 to 7 cabochons for around £8 years ago. Probably the same ones they're flogging now for £20 each on GC. It wouldn't surprise me if they've taken old stock and broken down the packs to sell singly.

Ironically, Chalmers Gems' Gemologist and co-owner (Marie) was the Gemologist and buyer for JM before she was made redundant when the Bennett's bought the channel back. I believe they moved her on to make way for the return of one of the other Bennett's (Paula?).

I suspect that's backfired on them spectacularly because JM went downhill years ago - but Chalmers Gems is very much on the rise.
I remember her in that position. Another disappeared one, who momentarily popped onto Gemporia, was the Mineral Man, or whatever he went by. I bought from him on JM a few times.

I remember her in that position. Another disappeared one, who momentarily popped onto Gemporia, was the Mineral Man, or whatever he went by. I bought from him on JM a few times.
Yes he vanished suddenly. His prices went through the roof though just before he vanished.

I was always amazed how long he lasted. His innuendo was often a bit OTT for daytime TV

Am I going mad? Not my thing but I'm sure these used to be diffused, like their Fern Green Quartz, and not coated? I have a memory of Steve explaining that he'd had to get this cocktail done and impregnated in Germany, as only they could guarantee the permanence of the treatment. If I'm right, this illustrates the corner-cutting that's endemic.

Screenshot_2024-03-15-18-34-54-902.jpeg

Am I going mad? Not my thing but I'm sure these used to be diffused, like their Fern Green Quartz, and not coated? I have a memory of Steve explaining that he'd had to get this cocktail done and impregnated in Germany, as only they could guarantee the permanence of the treatment. If I'm right, this illustrates the corner-cutting that's endemic.

View attachment 28113
On Gemporia.com both Padparadscha Quartz and Fern Green Quartz are coated.

View attachment 28113

They've had both. They started off as coated years ago, then they had some diffused ones, now they've gone back to coated.

Latest posts

Back