Gemporia - struggling financially?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Wow so disappointed. For the second time a parcel arrived from Gems with the contents stolen. The packages are just so easy to open at the sides. Why can’t they change them? Now have to wait for a long time to get reimbursed. What a waste of everyone’s time and money. 😞😞😞
This happened to me six months ago, I went straight to the post office and asked them to look into it. A few weeks later they messaged me and said that it was stolen by the person delivering the mail and they were very sorry and confirmed he was sacked and charged with theft, I haven't seen him since.

So don't just report it to the police or Gemporia as if it's been stolen by a post person he will be doing it to others as well.

Just my experience

This happened to me six months ago, I went straight to the post office and asked them to look into it. A few weeks later they messaged me and said that it was stolen by the person delivering the mail and they were very sorry and confirmed he was sacked and charged with theft, I haven't seen him since.

So don't just report it to the police or Gemporia as if it's been stolen by a post person he will be doing it to others as well.

Just my experience
I recently read a WHICH report about this, it is a fairly common scam.

QUOTE about this happening with Amazon - - -

Amazon one-time passwords: item thefts and parcel switches​

When you purchase a high-value item, Amazon may send you a one-time password (OTP) to provide to the courier when they deliver your parcel. However, we’ve found that many people have had issues with this system, including instances of couriers stealing the customer’s parcel. And when customers report the theft to Amazon, they face a battle to get a refund or replacement.

For some purchases, Amazon sends a six-digit OTP to you ahead of your delivery, which you must read out to your courier before they hand over your parcel.

These codes are designed to give you peace of mind that high-value purchases will arrive safely, but we've heard from customers who have had items stolen or swapped out.

AN EXAMPLE (one of many) - - -

Michael ordered an Apple laptop from Amazon and received an OTP in advance of the delivery – but when he handed over the code, the courier told him it was incorrect.

The courier said Michael would have to wait for another code. He said he'd be back later when the new OTP had been sent, before driving off with the parcel.

But when Michael went back to his computer, he received a notification saying the package had in fact been successfully delivered. It was then that he realised the courier had stolen his laptop.

There are also quite a few reports on my torch forum about having items stolen from the parcels, or substitued with a cheap item of the same weight.

I’m mean I’m presuming I’ll get the money back but maybe I won’t? Such a horrible feeling when you are looking forward to a parcel arriving and find someone has interfered with it.
Couldn't agree with you more I did eventually get my money back after sending photos of the box along with the crime number. It does leave you with very unsettling feeling. My most recent experience was a necklace I bought where the pendant had been removed and I only received the chain. I must admit this was easier to sort out than before as I explained the box was not damaged??? It does make you wonder though.....good luck

My list of the worst presenters is: Angeline, Ellis, Hattie, Jess, Lyndsey and Lynn they all drive me nuts and raise my stress levels! Couple of minutes and I loose the will to live! I could be missing out but I can't take any of them

That's all that's left of the whole presenter line up isn't? ;-)

Jess Foley and Cheralene Lavery are by far the two worst presenters on Gemporia's books. They are so out of their depth, its unreal. Everything they sell has the same meaningless spiel.

Hattie could actually be OK if she calmed down. When the Queen passed away, and the Gemporia presenters toned it right down, Hattie was actually quite good. She is knowledgeable, unlike some of the others - but her constant shouty and hyper episodes along with over-confidence make her unbearable to watch.

Lyndsey is awful - and always has been. Fake shock. Awful acting. Shrieking at levels that only dogs can hear at times. No.

Ellis is patronising and belittling. Her singing to us and talking to us like we're children irritates me.

Lynn - I used to quite like her, but she's changed since coming back from maternity leave a few years ago. If you listen to her closely, she talks a lot, without actually saying anything meaningful.

Rachel Hatton - Meh. I can take her or leave her. I don't dislike her, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch her either.

I never used to like Angeline when she had Sheridan as producer / director. The two of them could be quite snidey on-air. Then when Sheridan left, Angeline was a decent presenter. Over the past few weeks though, she seems to have turned a bit erratic and loud at times. Even Steve had to ask her to tone it down, in a polite jokey manner, when they did a show together about a month ago.

Adina I quite like. I know that a lot of people can't stand her - but I find her to be the most informative, and genuine on the channel. She's very knowledgeable about the stones that she's selling, she has a bit of a sense of humour too, and she's not as hard sell as the others. Yes, she has her quirks and habits that people dislike - such as constantly faffing with her hair, coughing without saying excuse me, etc - but I'd rather that than hearing "Absolutely", "Just gotta let you know" and "Good luck to each and every one of you, well done" every ten seconds.

However, the best presenters have well and truly gone. Scott Worsfold, Rae Carpenter, Drew Nicholls, Nick Davies (still there - but not as a presenter), Lara De-Leuw, Lindsey Vickers, Chloe Lewis, Jim Brooman (still there - but on Gem Collector now) and Ruth Linnett. There's probably a couple more that I've missed too.

Jess Foley and Cheralene Lavery are by far the two worst presenters on Gemporia's books. They are so out of their depth, its unreal. Everything they sell has the same meaningless spiel.

Hattie could actually be OK if she calmed down. When the Queen passed away, and the Gemporia presenters toned it right down, Hattie was actually quite good. She is knowledgeable, unlike some of the others - but her constant shouty and hyper episodes along with over-confidence make her unbearable to watch.

Lyndsey is awful - and always has been. Fake shock. Awful acting. Shrieking at levels that only dogs can hear at times. No.

Ellis is patronising and belittling. Her singing to us and talking to us like we're children irritates me.

Lynn - I used to quite like her, but she's changed since coming back from maternity leave a few years ago. If you listen to her closely, she talks a lot, without actually saying anything meaningful.

Rachel Hatton - Meh. I can take her or leave her. I don't dislike her, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch her either.

I never used to like Angeline when she had Sheridan as producer / director. The two of them could be quite snidey on-air. Then when Sheridan left, Angeline was a decent presenter. Over the past few weeks though, she seems to have turned a bit erratic and loud at times. Even Steve had to ask her to tone it down, in a polite jokey manner, when they did a show together about a month ago.

Adina I quite like. I know that a lot of people can't stand her - but I find her to be the most informative, and genuine on the channel. She's very knowledgeable about the stones that she's selling, she has a bit of a sense of humour too, and she's not as hard sell as the others. Yes, she has her quirks and habits that people dislike - such as constantly faffing with her hair, coughing without saying excuse me, etc - but I'd rather that than hearing "Absolutely", "Just gotta let you know" and "Good luck to each and every one of you, well done" every ten seconds.

However, the best presenters have well and truly gone. Scott Worsfold, Rae Carpenter, Drew Nicholls, Nick Davies (still there - but not as a presenter), Lara De-Leuw, Lindsey Vickers, Chloe Lewis, Jim Brooman (still there - but on Gem Collector now) and Ruth Linnett. There's probably a couple more that I've missed too.
I agree I like Adina. She is relatively normal like the rest of us and never comes across as a sly salesperson like the rest. I can only abide her, Jim and Ruth out of the current batch of hosts. The rest need the chop and quickly if the channel is to evolve and survive its current model. Scrap all the jade and bring back some proper jewellery with some decent metal weights.

Adina makes me smile. She always looks like she loves her job and is having a good time. She comes across as genuine and a bit of a giggle. I also like the fact that she knows what she is talking about.

Ellis has started making little digs telling us she is who she is. I have a strong suspicion she doesn’t like anything negative said about her. Yes we know she will be 60 shortly, and yes fishing for compliments is a tad dull.

I like Hattie but not when she is in hyper mode. The two best friends and it’s Katie that comes over professional although Hattie can be. I like Hattie when paired with Adina, not when paired with Ellis.

Rachel is now a tad over the top and her delivery is now all ohhhs and ahhhs!.

The rest jury is still out

Adina makes me smile. She always looks like she loves her job and is having a good time. She comes across as genuine and a bit of a giggle. I also like the fact that she knows what she is talking about.

Ellis has started making little digs telling us she is who she is. I have a strong suspicion she doesn’t like anything negative said about her. Yes we know she will be 60 shortly, and yes fishing for compliments is a tad dull.

I like Hattie but not when she is in hyper mode. The two best friends and it’s Katie that comes over professional although Hattie can be. I like Hattie when paired with Adina, not when paired with Ellis.

Rachel is now a tad over the top and her delivery is now all ohhhs and ahhhs!.

The rest jury is still out
Yes I like Adina and Katie the rest it's a NO from me

Katie is a standalone presenter that Gemporia happens to employ and hopefully appreciates.

As a person who can easily subscribe to cosmeticoholics anonymous and having tried some of Visage products I am very impressed with the quality and performance of Katie’s creations. Her foundation and concealer are on par if not better than very expensive leading brands. Her products are beautifully hygienically packaged! When on air she is interactive, informative about her creations and charming with great sense of humour whilst remaining professional. She appears to know exact ingredients in her products and their benefits, able to explain and demonstrate. I learned from the forum that she started as a presenter and has no former education in skin&beauty and manages to create what she currently delivers. That is some talent and dedication.

Katy comes on air fully prepared unlike Hattie with her Destello? I never understood why is it acceptable to show a garment on air that looks so crumpled and horrid out of a bag! If it’s your collection Hattie and you take pride in your creations, surely you would take a steam iron and sort it out prior your on air show? Sorry, but Hattie often says that she has been in the building hours prior to her shows, yet she comes full of ego and arrogance expecting people to bow to her expertise to buy what looks so horrid. Less dancing and shouting on air and more preparation would be appreciated.

I miss Jeff, who never ever drove a hard sale, but always knowledgeable and sharing his passion for gemstones. He was always very well dressed and groomed as if he was respectful of his position to be on air presenting beautiful items to appreciating costumers. Classy guy!

Adina is calmer and able to impart her knowledge to viewers, she makes the same false sale pitches but delivers them in a way that is less stressful or objectionable. If her career ever takes a turn, she could make money selling “LYCLEAR” 😅. I wonder if that false sense of security after the shock of Jess, Hattie and Lindsey makes people trust what she says. Presenters say what the management tells them to through the prism of what they believe and feel comfortable saying. That explains the axing of the presenters that we all miss.

Lynn is as fake as Jess, but takes it a step further. Jess talks a load of tosh and smirks a lot at the camera. Lynn does the same, but then she also tells the viewer how they should be feeling, or what they should be thinking.

"Don't you think that these are the best prices on *whatever* you've ever seen?"
"Haven't you enjoyed what we're doing tonight? Isn't this the best show? We're really looking after you tonight".

It's like being passive-aggressively gaslighted. If a sales assistant tried that with me in a shop, I would laugh in their face. So I don't know why it's deemed acceptable just because the salesperson is on the telly.

Is funny how people see Ellis now. Before COVID I would have said that she was thought of as one of the more popular presenters. But now, people seem to find her mumsy malarkey irritating. I think it's down to lockdown. More people were watching more and more telly (including Gemporia) while stuck at home, and the presenters' traits and mannerisms they may have found amusing in small doses are anything but when viewed as a whole.

Jess sounds like she's trying to be a caricature of herself these days. She shouts into the camera more than anyone else and is now totally unwatchable. I have nothing against her as a person, but I don't know how she landed the morning slot when her voice grates like nails down a chalkboard.

THE REALITY IS, WE KNOW AND YOU KNOW AND THEY PROBABLY KNOW THAT THIS IS ABSOLUTELY GREAT VALUE. I KNOW. WELL DONE YOU.

If a male presenter were this obnoxious they wouldn't have the graveyard shift, let alone greet people eating their cornflakes. It's like she's taken a bet on how to burst my eardrums with the screeching.

Hello

I came across these forums a few weeks ago and have been reading the threads with interest. I haven’t bought anything new from Gemporia for over a year but a few weeks ago I checked in late one evening to watch as I couldn’t sleep and came across a repeat show, which I found very odd. After reading the forum I see from the messages it looks like there have been problems.

I’m not a fan of all the various lectures which go on far too long. Don’t think I will be shopping with them again anytime soon, especially with all that jade. I guess some people like it as I did see a message from a customer to Dave to tell him they loved the jade and had 140 items in their collection!

For those of you who are interested in facts and figures the accounts for 2022 have been registered which you can check out.

Hello

I came across these forums a few weeks ago and have been reading the threads with interest. I haven’t bought anything new from Gemporia for over a year but a few weeks ago I checked in late one evening to watch as I couldn’t sleep and came across a repeat show, which I found very odd. After reading the forum I see from the messages it looks like there have been problems.

I’m not a fan of all the various lectures which go on far too long. Don’t think I will be shopping with them again anytime soon, especially with all that jade. I guess some people like it as I did see a message from a customer to Dave to tell him they loved the jade and had 140 items in their collection!

For those of you who are interested in facts and figures the accounts for 2022 have been registered which you can check out.

Someone better at reading these reports can clarify, but it looks to me as though the company is still in profit, but at a rate of 1/3rd the previous year, which was exaggerated anyway owing to more people being at home). However, it's still a big dip over 2020.

The company blames inflation, the war in Ukraine, Covid restrictions ending etc, for the drop in sales. Predictably, they don't identify anything they've done, such as the change in their price promise or their previously extremely naughty refund wait times, as a reason for why customers might be more wary of shopping with them. The impression I get from the review sites is that the company is just tone deaf to customer feedback and I see no reason for that to change any time soon.

Someone better at reading these reports can clarify, but it looks to me as though the company is still in profit, but at a rate of 1/3rd the previous year, which was exaggerated anyway owing to more people being at home). However, it's still a big dip over 2020.

The company blames inflation, the war in Ukraine, Covid restrictions ending etc, for the drop in sales. Predictably, they don't identify anything they've done, such as the change in their price promise or their previously extremely naughty refund wait times, as a reason for why customers might be more wary of shopping with them. The impression I get from the review sites is that the company is just tone deaf to customer feedback and I see no reason for that to change any time soon.
The last few years have been turbulent for sure and have presented unexpected circumstances that have challenged the best run companies (I'm not referring to Gemporia). I suspect that Gemporia may have done well out of the Covid times as there was literally a captive audience at home which probably led to complacency / taking customers for granted. Comments on this forum highlight the dive in standards of customer service, reduced quality of jewellery sold, too much gold tone, cheese wire gold rings and stretching the brand to breaking point through a hotch potch of cheap Lifestyle products with no relevance to the brand and it's original vision. Withholding refunds presumably to strengthen own cash flow was particularly shocking. I hope that the exit of C Wagstaff was an acknowledgement of these issues and that whilst bad practices and poor decisions cannot be put right overnight, I really do hope that Gemporia gets back in touch with what customers are telling them. Trust is hard earned but easily lost.

The last few years have been turbulent for sure and have presented unexpected circumstances that have challenged the best run companies (I'm not referring to Gemporia). I suspect that Gemporia may have done well out of the Covid times as there was literally a captive audience at home which probably led to complacency / taking customers for granted. Comments on this forum highlight the dive in standards of customer service, reduced quality of jewellery sold, too much gold tone, cheese wire gold rings and stretching the brand to breaking point through a hotch potch of cheap Lifestyle products with no relevance to the brand and it's original vision. Withholding refunds presumably to strengthen own cash flow was particularly shocking. I hope that the exit of C Wagstaff was an acknowledgement of these issues and that whilst bad practices and poor decisions cannot be put right overnight, I really do hope that Gemporia gets back in touch with what customers are telling them. Trust is hard earned but easily lost.
Except for the refunds, how has Gemporia shown that they've listened and taken on board what their customers are saying?

We know that they're aware of customers' concerns, and that they're not going to do anything about them, because we have had buyers and presenters actively saying they won't on air.

Namely, the continuing complaints about the neverending jade saga. Jade shows have now been adjusted to give Dave Troth and whichever presenter he's with time to tell the increasingly annoyed viewers why they're wrong and Gemporia is right. That's really the way to put people in the mood to watch your channel and then spend their cash with you.

I have some sympathy with the gold weights. As the price of gold goes up, they can charge more for pieces or reduce gold weight to maintain profits. Their target market might be priced out somewhat by keeping the gold weights chunky and raising prices as each gram of gold is about £50 retail? But the thinness of some bands is inexcusable, and gold tone is vomit inducing sludge. The former will stay I think, but the latter I hope will be phased out once it has sold.

Latest posts

Back