General Banter and Random Musings

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Thanks Alex. But it’s not really Kevski.
As regards mechanism, provenance and lifespan, Vostok are one of the most open and transparent shopping telly products. And decent enough watches as well. I do feel that Kevin tries hard to get things right (although his regular surprise at a revealed price- often a bit higher than on his son’s own website - got old very quickly).
He struggles a little with tech knowledge at times, but I have never felt Kevin has ever set out to mislead. Kevin, at heart, is one of the best, (IMO). As a comparator, Poljot (a Russian watchmaker of similar product) used to enclose a slip with each purchase saying the average lifespan of their watches was 10 years. Actually, most watchmakers can service a Poljot 3133 and parts are easy to obtain - so effectively meaning that, properly serviced, they’ll last a good while.

No, for me, It’s not Vostok. It’s the others - and I’m sure they know who they are. These are generally, not always, Chinese mechanisms ( at least on many of their standard products), with brand name printed on them to order - almost all of these can be obtained for very little on AliExpress with different brand names. The telly-selling of these is ridiculous - claims of association with long-dead brands, where what has been purchased by the vendor is just the brand name; the real origins of the mechanism and their (when Chinese) provenance missed out or obscured. And the regular mentions ( on other channels) that these are heirloom purchases. They are not. In no sense whatsoever.

Sorry this was a long one. But I’d love to see lots of the other vendors answering these questions. And I’m sure they could still sell product if they were clear about what they are. Sell the look, or the value, or sell the features- but don’t sell them as heirlooms, or ‘timepieces’; and be clear about where they are from. A couple of years ago, every watch sale on selly telly began with a spiel about the watch being presented at Baselworld. Having been, many times, I can guarantee that was not really so. At one point I was convinced they’d been channelling Fawlty Towers and all had been at Basil World.🤣

For me - that’s all I’d ask. We all expect a bit of salesmanship on selly telly, it would be very boring without it, and we know that not everyone can be an expert (it would be a very dull world). But curbing the excesses would, I am sure, bring more sales in the long term. Can’t help but think that some watch purchasers of a couple of years ago might already have sworn off ever buying more, because of the medium-term disappointment that must be apparent. After all, when they bring them for a service, or a repair, many of the Chinese mechanisms are basically uneconomic, or actually impossible to work on.

And Alex, thanks for listening. And replying.
No problem - the next watch guest that we have on air I will ask these questions too. I don’t know who or when it will be yet and forgive me if I’m not in on that day to ask the questions, but I will ask eventually. Transparency (or as much as we can be) is key. You are right - it is selly telly and we do have to sell and try to entertain along the way (otherwise it would be dull) but I will try and get clarity and some answers to the point above. :)

caught a bit of it today for the first time and wish them luck. Presenters seem a significant cut above that cringy bunch from you know who, it really does highlight just how bad the 'other' channel is and the tat on offer.

I have my doubts about the boring forgettable name (could have gone really left field) and if there is sufficient target audience to buy from a tv shopping channel in 2024 given there are so many online places to buy- so I hope they have done their research. I guess its a window to sell me something I didn't know I needed, as long as they don't come across as too desperate/false!

Personally I always appreciate a quality product/brand at a great price, under £50 and I might be tempted on a whim. They got me with the whizzy wisk on the old channel and it is great, the food dicer I bought gets a lot of use. I guess I like a gadget, kitchen, electrical.

Look forward to Mr iles and his Gravy Browning carpet clean demo!

It would be interesting if Alex to explain the demographic they seek if he has time. I struggle with the type of shopper for the future (in general) his and the other new channel start-ups are seeking? Surely QVC’s buying market is secure to them and long-term enough not to be poached. What’s left? People of a ‘certain age’ retired/at home a lot, not hardened Internet major retail players buyers, not regulars with another shopping channel, looking for a friendly, family type shopping environment? Those types of people? If so, this is clearly not a long-term (20 plus years ahead) market. I can see Seen on TV is very much focusing on the social media platforms way of buying and communicating - very different from ‘scenery shaking’ filmed with an APS camera, Ideal World, with two cans and a long piece of string. Nonetheless, shapewear, comfortable shoes, pillows, kitchen and cleaning aids etc. tend to attract an older home-loving buyer by design. And there is the problem for ALL shopping channels - their market is dying off, literally. Young people just don’t shop this way and they never will. Is this an accepted and agreed point within the powers that be in shopping television in general? Do they ever discuss how to attract younger buyers?

Mr Producer Mr Producer I want it,I want it,out with the old in with the old,only need now her TV husband to show up and we have Groundhog Day again!
Last seen flogging a dead horse on a crummy commercial.

It would be interesting if Alex to explain the demographic they seek if he has time. I struggle with the type of shopper for the future (in general) his and the other new channel start-ups are seeking? Surely QVC’s buying market is secure to them and long-term enough not to be poached. What’s left? People of a ‘certain age’ retired/at home a lot, not hardened Internet major retail players buyers, not regulars with another shopping channel, looking for a friendly, family type shopping environment? Those types of people? If so, this is clearly not a long-term (20 plus years ahead) market. I can see Seen on TV is very much focusing on the social media platforms way of buying and communicating - very different from ‘scenery shaking’ filmed with an APS camera, Ideal World, with two cans and a long piece of string. Nonetheless, shapewear, comfortable shoes, pillows, kitchen and cleaning aids etc. tend to attract an older home-loving buyer by design. And there is the problem for ALL shopping channels - their market is dying off, literally. Young people just don’t shop this way and they never will. Is this an accepted and agreed point within the powers that be in shopping television in general? Do they ever discuss how to attract younger buyers?
I’d say 60 Plus, I’m 49 Can’t go out, But I will always use Amazon, and If I want anything different. Mum and dad get when out and about

Not sure the shapewear works, as the Model on there yesterday looked the same without it

Longer term I very much doubt selly telly has a future ... QVC might be the possible exception however I'd assert even their long term viability isn't guaranteed.

As we've touched on before and in this thread, selly telly's target demographic is unlikely to be replaced as the years roll by. Why? Because younger folk who currently buy from Amazon etc are unlikely to change ingrained buying habits just because they're a bit older. i.e. a 25 year old who automatically conducts web searches and buys from Amazon or wherever isn't going to stop doing that when they're older and start buying from selly telly.

I/we might be proved wrong, you never know. However when experts reckon linear tv is in its dying days, I doubt selly telly as a niche can buck that trend.

More and more, people don't 'sit and watch telly.'

This is some constructive criticism regarding the price comparison for the Hamilton Beach Steam Iron. You have missed a trick by not adding the Amazon price of £69.99 and then you could of nicked a thrase from elsewhere saying you are market beating.

Longer term I very much doubt selly telly has a future ... QVC might be the possible exception however I'd assert even their long term viability isn't guaranteed.

As we've touched on before and in this thread, selly telly's target demographic is unlikely to be replaced as the years roll by. Why? Because younger folk who currently buy from Amazon etc are unlikely to change ingrained buying habits just because they're a bit older. i.e. a 25 year old who automatically conducts web searches and buys from Amazon or wherever isn't going to stop doing that when they're older and start buying from selly telly.

I/we might be proved wrong, you never know. However when experts reckon linear tv is in its dying days, I doubt selly telly as a niche can buck that trend.

More and more, people don't 'sit and watch telly.'
Ours only goes on in the evening and apart from Real Life crime,Forensic programmes etc everything is mainly streamed.

This is some constructive criticism regarding the price comparison for the Hamilton Beach Steam Iron. You have missed a trick by not adding the Amazon price of £69.99 and then you could of nicked a thrase from elsewhere saying you are market beating.

Probably best not to mention that one, it ain't Amazon that is selling it, it's the Hamilton Beach UK distributor that is selling it on Amazon, they probably supply Seen On Tv with their Hamilton Beach products, so best not upset them with a price comparison. ;):ROFLMAO:

Probably best not to mention that one, it ain't Amazon that is selling it, it's the Hamilton Beach UK distributor that is selling it on Amazon, they probably supply Seen On Tv with their Hamilton Beach products, so best not upset them with a price comparison. ;):ROFLMAO:
At first, I intended to include both The Range and an electrical seller on ebay, both of whom had it listed for £69.99. I then thought of another channel who loves to use market beating and thought, why not? Because you are £10 cheaper.

Hi Duke - we feel there is a gap in the market between the old IW and the new IW. New IW have many different products from what the old IW was so we feel there is room in the market for new IW, Seen on TV and then QVC with regards to a live TV audience.
I agree with you - the demographic we are appealing to is the older customer that watches shopping TV and prefers to shop this way rather than going out into the retail market and shops (or might not be able to do this).
But we also have to try and keep it modernised as well to capture new, younger viewers who are move savvy on Tik Tok and what’s app etc. so it really is a fine balance of getting everything right to appeal to the right audience. It is the toughest yet most rewarding job to be apart of. :). The crew are all shopping tv as well for years, all of us working on different channels before so it’s listening to them, their experiences and coming up with products and a format that appeal to the audience we are directing to :)

I’m confused
I find myself agreeing and also disagreeing in equal measure.
As and elderly person “I think being 74 qualifies me to use that term” I do sit on my sofa and watch TV but I also stream a lot too.
I don’t now have sky but I did previously however after many years and being a female who isn’t into watching sport I found it ridiculously expensive as It wasn’t really any better than watching normal TV cos it’s full of repeats of repeats of repeats.

I do web searches automatically for anything I buy and find I’m personally buying less and less from Amazon as it’s becoming less and less the best place to buy price wise I personally think they have become overconfident that they are the one place everyone goes. I don’t trust their reviews either so also look elsewhere online before making a decision on what to buy and where to buy it.
I’m not on TikTok. no longer on Twitter since it became X rarely use face book except for a few private secret groups (I also have a my space account out ther somewhere) that don’t come up on a Facebook search 👀
Where, how, we buy, what we buy tomorrow is something I havent a scobby about, what’s the latest in way could change tomorrow and something new will appear.
I’ve given up on keeping up.
Re watching any shopping channel on TV. I watch them online while sitting here on my sofa trying to keep up with what your all saying and while watching something that’s entirely different on my TV. I use WhatsApp to keep in touch with friends, family and social groups but only trust that about as far as I can’t throw it.
Maybe it’s time I got my coat🧥

Last edited:
To late to edit, I’ve timed out
Just wanted to add
As someone who is elderly
Had an Atari 800 in the 70s where you could make tea and eat it while waiting for the chess program to make its next move. The one thing I’ve learnt is none of us can predict what will happen next.
Having while doing an OU degree using “C” tried to teach a computer whether a chicken is a bird or a fox is a dog thinking a computer will never have the wisdom of a human none of us knows what the xxxx the future holds
Getting my coat 🧥 now.

I’m confused
As and elderly person “I think being 74 qualifies me to use that term” I do sit on my sofa and watch TV but I also stream a lot too.
I don’t now have sky but I did previously however after many years and being a female who isn’t into watching sport I found it ridiculously expensive as It wasn’t really any better than watching normal TV cos it’s full of repeats of repeats of repeats.

I do web searches automatically for anything I buy and find I’m personally buying less and less from Amazon as it’s becoming less and less the best place to buy price wise I personally think they have become overconfident that they are the one place everyone goes. I don’t trust their reviews either so also look elsewhere online before making a decision on what to buy and where to buy it.
I’m not on TikTok. no longer on Twitter since it became X rarely use face book except for a few private secret groups (I also have a my space account out ther somewhere) that don’t come up on a Facebook search 👀
Where, how, we buy, what we buy tomorrow is something I havent a scobby about, what’s the latest in way could change tomorrow and something new will appear.
Re watching any shopping channel on TV. I watch them online while sitting here on my sofa trying to keep up with what your all saying and while watching something that’s entirely different on my TV. I use WhatsApp to keep in touch with friends, family and social groups but only trust that about as far as I can’t throw it.
In terms of how consumers buy, you are a transitional person. That is to say, although you are in the older age bracket and were around before 'the Internet', you have adopted relatively recent tech i.e. computers, using web searches, Amazon etc.

However, it's unlikely younger consumers will be transitional the other way, if that makes sense? As they get older, they're unlikely to start adopting more traditional ways to consume.

To that end, you've got nothing to get your coat for ;)

I’m confused

I'm with you @Latearrival

Personally, I won't use Amazon at all, any of their online/TV/delivery services until they pay proper tax on their UK operations. It even annoys me if I buy from elsewhere and they use Amazon shipping without my knowledge.

It would only take a couple of weeks if the UK customer base boycotted all Amazon UK services, for them to reassess their tax position and pay fair taxes to UK plc.

In terms of how consumers buy, you are a transitional person. That is to say, although you are in the older age bracket and were around before 'the Internet', you have adopted relatively recent tech i.e. computers, using web searches, Amazon etc.

However, it's unlikely younger consumers will be transitional the other way, if that makes sense? As they get older, they're unlikely to start adopting more traditional ways to consume.

To that end, you've got nothing to get your coat for ;)
I have no words
😞

Latest posts

Back