I think this is very impressive

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

How does the supplier know not to charge VAT to a particular group of customers? Like someone buying a wheel chair but for a Jackass type stunt. Or are they like Jaffa Cakes, VAT free? Is it feasible for a QVC purchaser to ask for a VAT receipt and claim it back?

I hear your "BOATS" Strato and echo it.... BOATS?

Are Jaffa Cakes VAT free? Why didn't I know this?

You are right, and biscuits have VAT and cakes don't - - - silly old world.

And did you know that VAT has gone down from 20% to 5% on takeaway meals, but they don't have to pass this on to the customer, so most don't do so (including my Chinese takeaway yesterday).

(Always) good to know.

And did you know that VAT has gone down from 20% to 5% on takeaway meals, but they don't have to pass this on to the customer, so most don't do so (including my Chinese takeaway yesterday).

Easy to get around buiscuits by buying cake, that masquerade as biscuits. 😂. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/inew...ned-mcvities-new-pineapple-flavour-391568/amp

thanks for the heads up on VAT, yes I doubt this’ll be getting passed on to the customer some how.

Are Jaffa Cakes VAT free? Why didn't I know this?

If you buy the wheelchair from Q and pay VAT, you can't claim it back later even if you are entitled to it.

And I'm sure their creaking website would not let you buy it for 20% less.

You would have to ring their "award winning" CS and try to persuade someone to sell it to you without VAT.

I think your chances would be nil.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure nobody would be offended by your post Alter. Maybe you might be able to answer a question for me which I've often wondered about. I have a Blue Badge as I need a wheelchair for any distance, use crutches around the house mostly but can do a few steps on a good day, wheelchair on worst days. Does this mean automatically mean that I am registered as disabled and can buy aids that will help me VAT free or do I need to apply for something from my surgery first.
We all have the downer days so let's hope tomorrow is a better one!
Take care, Pandora
There isn't a national disability register even though some local authorities do have voluntary registers.

Don't forget that there are various BENEFITS available, which have no stigma attached to them. In fact, the government wants you to have them if you are eligible.

I used to be an expert when I worked for the CAB, but I'm not any more, nor up to date, so I will only talk in generalities.

The first is PENSION CREDIT. This is for pensioners on a low income, and with savings below a certain threshold.

The details are here:

As well as giving you about £14 per week extra (for a single person, more for a couple), it has lots of valuable fringe benefits such as free dental care, subsidised specs, and a free TV licence if over 75.

If you meet the criteria, you get it, "simples".

A bit more complicated are the benefits for disabilities, namely DLA (Disability Living Allowance) if below pension age, and AA (Attendance Allowance) if above pension age.

These have long complicated forms, with lots of questions that can be misinterpreted when you fill it in. And whether or not you get it is judged by a non-medical person on the basis of your answers.

I once helped someone to appeal whose DLA claim was turned down. It was obvious she had great difficulty walking. When I went through the form she'd filled in, one of the questions was "Do you have any difficulty going up and down stairs at home" to which she'd replied NO.

When I asked her about this, she explained that she lived in a bungalow and therefore had no difficulty going up and down stairs at home!

So I suggest getting help from the CAB, Age Concern, or various other disability organisations for these benefits. It is much easier to get the benefit in the first instance then to appeal it afterwards. And don't hold anything back in your answers out of pride, for example., say it like it is.

You're right Strato.

My parents had no private pensions to fall back on, and were drawing just the OAP until their early 80s, when a lady from the finance department at County Social Services paid a visit. Dear Lord, she was an angel from Heaven. Mum & Dad could claim for loads that they didn't know about ! She filled in all the relevant forms for them, and to M & D it felt like they'd won the lottery ! Being that generation though, they still bought the same amount of groceries each week, and at that age their needs were not that great, so the extra was banked and made paying the bills more comfortable.

I was so angry that they could have been having the extra for many years prior, even more so, when I hear and see how those who shouldn't be here, never paid a penny in taxes, chancers and gimmegrants who play the system and milk it for all its worth, have the authorities falling over themselves to help.

I am annoyed with QVC they are not taking the VAT off the price....instead they are saying you have to claim from the government after you buy it but it does not say that anywhere else

I am annoyed with QVC they are not taking the VAT off the price....instead they are saying you have to claim from the government after you buy it but it does not say that anywhere else
Most companies that sell medical products that you can claim VAT back have forms online to do so.

Latest posts

Back