About Collagen

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Get in!!! The drug I have to take is supposed to delay cross linking of collagen! Maybe they should have checked those bliddy mice for wrinkles ... lol. I'm sure it's probably bunkum though and I'm not for one minute thinking these pills are the fountain of youth. And I take them for the reason they were prescribed obviously.

All joking aside nothing will stop ageing and I definitely agree that feeling the sun on your face and smiling are two of life's pleasures that shouldn't be given up.

I'm such a skin care junkie that I'd buy/do just about anything within reason if I'm told there's a chance it will keep my skin in good nick! Sad but true! I've always looked after my skin ~ even when I was a teenager I was careful never to pull the skin around my eyes. I was quite paranoid about it in fact! I enjoy the whole ritual of skincare and maybe slapping on Ponds would work just as well, but I'd be lost without my routine and I enjoy the anticipation of trying the latest potion and the hope that I'll wake up looking 10 years younger!

Guilty as charged M'lud :mysmilie_516:

I am the same petpixie. I just love skincare & my routines & I too have been pretty fastidious about it since my teenage years As I have said before I am blessed with good genes & my skin is in really good nick for a bird pushing 58 :sad:

I remember standing at the Elizabeth Arden counter with my Mum when I was in my teens & listening to this very glamorous, very posh woman prattling on about how important it was to cleanse, tone & moisturise & '' don't ever forget your neck Madam ''

It made quite an impact on me. In fact I'm off for a facial today.

Last edited:
Thank you for the responses.

I take it that collagen is of some use if it is ingested, slapping on your face does nothing.
Thought so!

Had a look at what Paula said about it
Collagen is a type of protein found extensively throughout the body. It supports skin, internal organs, muscles, bone, and cartilage. There are more than 25 types of collagen that occur naturally in the body. Collagen works in tandem with elastin to give skin its texture, structure, and appearance. Sun damage (extrinsic ageing) and ageing (intrinsic ageing) causes collagen in the skin to deteriorate. As a cosmetic ingredient, collagen is derived from animal sources, but plant derivatives that act like collagen (pseudo-collagen) are also used. In any form, collagen is a good water-binding agent. Collagen in cosmetics, regardless of the source, has never been shown to have a direct effect on producing or building collagen in skin.
http://www.cosmeticscop.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/definition/397/collagen.aspx

I have a fantasy now of standing off camera at Q Towers with a cattle prod. Every time words are uttered about collagen in a product, I zap 'em!

Which I feel would make for excellent televisual entertainment minim. Email the CEO at once and suggest it. :up:

I'm such a skin care junkie that I'd buy/do just about anything within reason if I'm told there's a chance it will keep my skin in good nick! Sad but true! I've always looked after my skin ~ even when I was a teenager I was careful never to pull the skin around my eyes. I was quite paranoid about it in fact! I enjoy the whole ritual of skincare and maybe slapping on Ponds would work just as well, but I'd be lost without my routine and I enjoy the anticipation of trying the latest potion and the hope that I'll wake up looking 10 years younger!

I can completely relate to this. I love the skincare ritual of lovely textures and fragrances in the same way I love painting my nails, very theraputic. I believe if you use good quality ingredients they must have some sort of positive effect on your skin, not necessarily wrinkle-busting but skin nurturing. I don't think you can cure wrinkles but if that's what you're after you can get proteins in antiaging serums and creams can temporarily fill in the lines. However, for me skincare is about maintaining hydration and a nice skin texture. I still get breakouts from time to time but my skin is smooth and plump and I credit that to using moisturiser every day since I was 13 and stepping up to good quality products in my mid-20s.

Thank you for the responses.

I take it that collagen is of some use if it is ingested, slapping on your face does nothing.
Thought so!

Had a look at what Paula said about it

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/definition/397/collagen.aspx

I have a fantasy now of standing off camera at Q Towers with a cattle prod. Every time words are uttered about collagen in a product, I zap 'em!

There is NO evidence for that, all the studies so far are done by companies that have an interest in selling that kind of material to you, so hardly unbiased. Also remember just from a common sense point of view that the skin on your face is a tiny amount compared to the rest of your body, if it would work when ingested how would it just target the wrinkles on your face? Effects would be miniscule, but the placebo effect could make you feel it has an effect

I suppose it could work depending on the concentration. By analogy I'm thinking that when you take antibiotics to clear facial acne the pill doesn't get lost fighting the bacteria elsewhere in your body to be of no use to the face, it has a general effect which works on any breakouts. If a collagen pill existed, I imagine it could give an overall beneficial result to the whole body and face.

When you think about it, it makes sense that to have a significant effect on wrinkles and skin aging you need to ingest the ingredient so it works on the skin internally as it renews itself. Combined with topical treatments which work on the texture of the surface skin, plus sunscreen to prevent pigmentation, and you have a winner. I suppose this is where Perricone comes from with his 3 step approach, except nutritional supplements are a long way off a magic collagen pill.

I suppose it could work depending on the concentration. By analogy I'm thinking that when you take antibiotics to clear facial acne the pill doesn't get lost fighting the bacteria elsewhere in your body to be of no use to the face, it has a general effect which works on any breakouts. If a collagen pill existed, I imagine it could give an overall beneficial result to the whole body and face.

Isn't that pill that IW sell a collagen pill? (The name escapes me sorry)

i look after my skin but am not paranoid over wrinkles may change a few yrs down the line! lol but for now i tell myself your supposed to have some lines and wrinkles shows you've lived plus you would look really odd in your 80's with a completely smooth face lol

Thar's the one BL! I don't know much about it, but I think it's a form of collagen.... maybe?

I don't know much about it either but I do seem to remember that they got into a bit of trouble with regard to the claims of their product! Apologies if I'm wrong but I feel sure it was Proto-Col.

I don't know much about it either but I do seem to remember that they got into a bit of trouble with regard to the claims of their product! Apologies if I'm wrong but I feel sure it was Proto-Col.

Is it a collagen tablet BL? If not what is it and what does it do? I flicked on to the presentation not so long ago, but I didn't hear an explanation of what it was exactly or what it was supposed to do.

But isn't collagen just protein so you would digest it and it wouldn't help ypur skin? I thought it was the connective tissue in meat that cooks down into gelatine when you make a stew but elastin just stays as gristle?

I suppose it would either have to stick to our own collagen and strengthen an dsupport it or simulate it altogether or maybe just stimulate our own collagen production? I'm in Tomorrow's World territory now and have no idea what I'm talking about, but wouldn't it work like a normal supplement of something we already produce in the body such as boitin?

I suppose it would either have to stick to our own collagen and strengthen an dsupport it or simulate it altogether or maybe just stimulate our own collagen production? I'm in Tomorrow's World territory now and have no idea what I'm talking about, but wouldn't it work like a normal supplement of something we already produce in the body such as boitin?

LOL I think that the problem WR ~ none of us really have a clue! I wonder if the makers of Proto-col have any more of an idea? It all seems very mumbo jumboish and from what I saw they're pretty pricey!

external factors are an issue with skin. certainly my friends who are smokers all have the same sallow wrinkly skin.

*running and hiding from all the smokers - any room in the bat cave??*

external factors are an issue with skin. certainly my friends who are smokers all have the same sallow wrinkly skin.

*running and hiding from all the smokers - any room in the bat cave??*

RUN faster janie.
I can see you!
*evil cackle*

Latest posts

Back