Acer TSV - any ideas?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Netbooks are fine so long as you don't mind managing without a CD/DVD drive.

I simply love the way they omit to mention that when doing the sales spiel. :cheeky:

Saw it presented last night (mainly cos I couldn't sleep) with Julia roberts fawning over it and making ridiculous suggestions that it's so much better than a bigger laptop...

Erm Julia, it's not the hard disk that governs the size of a computer/lappy/notebook etc....

And what about the colours?
I see we're still in a male market *sigh* ...big boy black blue or red (yuk). How about purple or pink?
I would have thought a lot of the potential market they are aiming at would be kids and girls use laptops too! :sad:

One of my laptops is an Acer Aspire (bought from Tescos about 3 years ago) and 2 friends bought the same model (notebook 5630) at the same time. We all use them every day. Can't say I've had any more trouble with it than any other laptop - less in fact. It's never had to go back to Acer. They are marketed as budget machines, so you tend to get what you pay for. Unless you want to shell out for top of the range, don't expect a ferrari. :)

They did state on the launch that Netbooks don't have CD/DVD drives.

Acer do not just do budget laptops, some of their items are very pricey.

I was really liking this new netbook in the red, even have it in my basket as I type, but your comment Sazza and some of the others in this thread have now put me off. I think you said you got your netbook from John Lewis (?) and I'm now wondering if I might be better off waiting till they stock a netbook with Windows 7. At least you have peace of mind with their CS, that to me is very important. Guess I'll be dumping it out of my basket.

I did buy a Toshiba Netbook from John Lewis, you get a 2 year guarantee with them.

I bought an Acer laptop several years ago and it was fantastic, so much so I bought another and in 9 months it developed three major faults and with the third fault Acer were a nightmare!!! They expected me to pay for the repair even though it was only 9 months old and they accused me of lying!!! So after that I will not be buying anything else from Acer.

I think you get Microsoft Works Topaz.

That battery sticking out of the back was rather ugly, LOL.

If it hadn't been Acer I could have been tempted. Both son and brother had problems with their screens within the first months of having them, luckily both still under warranty.

Oooh, don't know if I'm seeing things but the chronological order of these last few posts are all out of sync.

Last edited:
Acer are crap in my opinion,I know loads of people that have had numerous problems with Acer Laptops and they all say Customer Service is appalling too.

It is not just your opinion, CK, but everyone's in-the-know. Thanks for bringing this up. :up2:

I have been told that Acer make 90% of laptops,so they have a pretty huge share if the market. I personally have had nothing but trouble with Toshiba-my nephew loves his Acer. At least with QVC you have your 30 MBG which in usual cases usually amounts to 37 days taking into acount the dates they use.
I love the Samsung netbook my hubby bought in May-if this is anything like it it is well worth the money!

Not accurate, I'm afraid SuziQ.:flower:xxx

Acer laptops - Are they any good?

I bought an Acer laptop when it was a TSV last year for my son. It is absolutely useless. The mousepad is hopeless and jumps all over the place. When you are typing it will jump to another page.

I would say dont buy anything from Acer as you may be dissapointed. Considering how much it is it may be not be very good anyway.

As usual JR says it is the best laptop since sliced bread, but she would say that anyway. :angel:

I've just been talking to one of our IT people at work and they reckon that the memory on this netbook is nowhere big enough to run Windows 7. It has 1GB and he said for it to run fast and efficiently it would need 4GB. I'm no technical expert and wouldn't have had a clue, seeing as the guy presenting keeps on about how fast it will be. I decided with all the anti Acer comments and this piece of info that I will give the TSV a miss.

I think you get Microsoft Works Topaz.

That battery sticking out of the back was rather ugly, LOL.

If it hadn't been Acer I could have been tempted. Both son and brother had problems with their screens within the first months of having them, luckily both still under warranty.

Oooh, don't know if I'm seeing things but the chronological order of these last few posts are all out of sync.

Thanks Jan, after posting my question I found some info on the QVC site as to what software is included. Your Acer problems have put me off buying.

I've just been talking to one of our IT people at work and they reckon that the memory on this netbook is nowhere big enough to run Windows 7. It has 1GB and he said for it to run fast and efficiently it would need 4GB. I'm no technical expert and wouldn't have had a clue, seeing as the guy presenting keeps on about how fast it will be. I decided with all the anti Acer comments and this piece of info that I will give the TSV a miss.

It will work fine with 1gb, loads of people have been using Windows 7 on netbooks for months and it gets alot of praise , you certainally dont need 4gb they are talking poop

Topaz: What your IT person is missing is a certain fact: there are several versions of Win7 and this Acer comes with the Starter edition. Meaning a lot of the wizzybangcrash (sic) is stripped out leaving a very workable machine for what it is designed for: small and portable. The other versions will require more memory but this edition is designed for lower-end machines. More info here on Starter

People have been using the full version for several months now with great results, so the stripped down vesion should run even better

I thought the whole point of windows 7 is that you don't need a large memory with it? I do have computer geeks in the family who know about computers and I don't think Acer is any worse than any other brand. As for customer service I can't say as my nephew has never needed it. I bought a disastrous pc from QVC a while ago and their customer service was dreadful- I vented on here about it at the time. I refused to pay the remaining installment as the machine just didn't work and they threatened to take me to court.I threatened them back with trading standards and was put on to a CEO-immediate apology and refund so that's what I would do in future. I was pretty anxious when my husband bought his samsung netbook because of the previous problem but no probs with this one. If they repeated that offer (or even a newer model) on easy pay I wouldn't be able to resist.
I think computers are pretty much like cars and it's the luck of the draw whether you have problems. We bought an ex display cheapish pc for the kids in June and it is fantastic-very quick,great keyboard and mouse and no problems at all yet it's the cheapest we have ever bought. My youngest has just been awarded a dell pc from the family fund and I will be interested to see what that is like (this house is gonna be chock full of computers at this rate!) luckily the family fund do all the maintenance and repairs if you have a problem. I hope those who bought this tsv are happy as it isn't an unconsidered purchase at that price.

Topaz: What your IT person is missing is a certain fact: there are several versions of Win7 and this Acer comes with the Starter edition. Meaning a lot of the wizzybangcrash (sic) is stripped out leaving a very workable machine for what it is designed for: small and portable. The other versions will require more memory but this edition is designed for lower-end machines. More info here on Starter

Thanks Sheepdog, I had no idea there were different versions, this forum is so informative.

People have been using the full version for several months now with great results, so the stripped down vesion should run even better

There was something in the Metro (free London paper) this morning that there were long queues outside PC World when they launched Windows 7 yesterday but 'experts' are saying people should avoid it for at least a year as there are bound to be glitches and hiccups. If it's been used by 'people' for months would I be right in thinking that maybe those glitches have now been ironed out? I'm assuming the 'people' using it were guinea pigs to test it out, as it wasn't launched to the public till yesterday.

Latest posts

Back