Advice on buying a television

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

At the beginning of this year I researched 32" TVs - as our previous one died and we had to buy another one - I spent many HOURS (I had plenty of spare time back then!) - as well as looking online at loads of reviews, TV forum sites (yes there are such things!) and simply asking around of some techie geeks I know - one word ....

Panasonic! :biggrin

Last edited:
All major retailers now sell on digital telelvisions. I have been looking into telvisions for a friend who has been in hospital for months she too wants a sony with DVd and freeview. In the size you want they don't do one with an intergrated DVD.

I've recently bought a Sony 32" LCD from Amazon with a free 5 year guarantee. I too was wary about the size as my previous t.v. was a 26" model. It sits really well in the sitting room without being overpowering. Nothing worse imho than a massive screen dominating a room. The picture and sound are really excellent and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this set. Amazon service was also really good. Hope this helps somewhat.

I have a 42" Hitachi plasma TV and it is fab but a few words of warning from my experience.....

Plasma televisions churn out a lot of heat through the screen, which is great to keep your living room warm in winter but in summer it's not such a great thing.

They are also very heavy on the electrics, so if you want to keep your bills down, stick to LCD.

They weigh an absolute ton. It took three of us to lift ours out of the box and put it on its stand.

We have a lovely 20" LCD tv in the bedroom which has freeview combined. It came in a little slimline box with a handle built into the top and we carried it home no problems.

It was a Sony and their quality is good.

Deanos, I went for this one in the end. Got it from Amazon for £389.99 plus the three year warranty and ten quid off a nice black glass stand.

I could have spent weeks tying myself in knots researching every television on the market. But this one seemed to be what I wanted -- and I realise now you can't get the inbuilt DVD with the larger machines.

So I just did it. Feel a bit sick now about spending all that money, but still...

Thank you very much indeed for ferreting it out for me, and thanks to everyone for their advice and hand-holding.

curry's or comet is saying next day delivery on TV ads if that helps......good luck...know what you mean NEEDING one.....& also the fact the noise is enough i seem to 'watch' the TV through the back of my head at the minute.......good hunting......

I followed Deanos' advice and bought the Sony Bravia from Amazon. It arrived yesterday and I spent half the night setting it up. Some problems because the connector had disappeared from my aerial, and I thought I might need a new aerial anyhow.

Today, I've got it sorted. Terrestrial, digital and cable. It's terrific.

A big thank you to everyone who helped, and especially Deanos for identifying this one.

Only fly in the ointment was that the lovely black glass stand I ordered at the same time was shattered when I opened the box. It's gone back for a replacement, and my lovely new Bravia is balanced on a wobbly side-table for a while.

New request for help coming soon!

To be honest I do not rate Grundig.......I used to work in electrical retailing and like to keep up still with what is on offer.For a TV I would always look to get a decent brand such as Sony,Panasonic,Toshiba and the range of Samsung panels is also quite highly rated.These brands tend to use better quality components in their products,hence why your current TV has lasted for so long.

Grundig is just a name nowadays they just get some chinese company to stick there badge on things and import them.

I so wish this thread had been around when QVC did a 20" LCD/DVD TSV. It was a Grundig - and since it was a name i'd heard of and wanted one for the kitchen/diner I thought it would be good.

It isn't - no power off button its on permanent standby, very slow to start-up even from standby, very complex remote, and now the volume is starting to play up and sometimes you need to up it very high - and then other days drop it down - on the same channel!

I live and learn!

I It was a Grundig - and since it was a name i'd heard of

Thats exactly why they buy old brand names and do this , people remember them from the good old days when they were quality, Wharfdale is another name that Argos use on there imported TV's, there are a few others as well

My son bought himself a Samsung for his room and you cannot switch this off - it is always on standby - which I hate.

Satis: I was looking at the one you got from Amazon a couple of weeks ago it was only £369 - then it went up to £399 so am still thinking - does this one switch off completely please??

Thats exactly why they buy old brand names and do this , people remember them from the good old days when they were quality, Wharfdale is another name that Argos use on there imported TV's, there are a few others as well

Oh darn it :17: - guess what brand and from where I have in my craft room!!!!!

However I have to say it is better for picture, sound and speed - the guide isn't great but that's not usually an issue!

Any more brands that are like this - I've probably got those as well!!! :(

As long as it works and you are happy with it thats all that matters, they are all not rubbish at all, its just say if you buy a Sony you know its a Sony, buy one of these rebadged items and they could be made by any company not always the same one for each TV they sell, the 15" tv could be by yip-dip-pip and the 22" by fung-kong-poo for example

Satis: I was looking at the one you got from Amazon a couple of weeks ago it was only £369 - then it went up to £399 so am still thinking - does this one switch off completely please??

Yes, the price seems to fluctuate on a daily basis. But the Amazon one was the cheapest I found from a seller I trust.

And there's a switch on the top which turns it off completely -- at least, the standby light goes out, so I assume so.

Yes, the price seems to fluctuate on a daily basis. But the Amazon one was the cheapest I found from a seller I trust.

And there's a switch on the top which turns it off completely -- at least, the standby light goes out, so I assume so.

Thanks Statis I think I will probably go for this one now.

Thanks Statis I think I will probably go for this one now.

It's a really nice set and not too big for a normal size living room. I think you'll like it!

The neighbour who took the parcel in for me called me into his front room and showed me the exact same television which he has mounted on the wall. He was also very pleased with it.

Latest posts

Back