After me everybody - MICEAL - how hard can it be!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

This is very apt:

<object width="1024" height="576"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/10151274870863518"></param><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/10151274870863518" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="1" width="1024" height="576"></embed></object>

The clip was from this year's show which we saw on 1st December - 18 months after we bought the tickets!! However, it was well worth it and we laughed til we cried. This was one of my favourite items and it just so happens it's the clip promoting the DVD. Result!

I always though my full maiden name was quite simple but whenever somebody asked for it there always followed 3 question...

How do you spell Jacqueline?
Is that Anne with an 'e'?
Is it Dunn with or without an 'e'? :headbang:

My poor grandad God rest his soul, was always known on his clubcard as Mr James Dummy instead of Dunn! lol. And I was the subject of many a rude rhyme at school :grin:

Now I'm married people seem to complicate my new surname even more!

Was that Carbell?
Cowbell?
Cardell?

No, no and NO!! :headbang::headbang::headbang:

Sorry if I implied anyone was thick, it really wasn't my intention! I wouldn't expect people to know how to pronounce it but it's the mis-spelling that got me, a simple search on the QVC site gives the correct spelling. I do think he's missing a 'h' from the typical Irish spelling, also two accents! I think it should be Míceál (í being 'ee' and á being 'aw' which would give Meehawl if he had his missing h).

Now that I'm in Oz I get called Treeeeeeeeeeeeeees all the time (I'm Thérèse), it's marvelous ; )

Sorry if I implied anyone was thick, it really wasn't my intention! I wouldn't expect people to know how to pronounce it but it's the mis-spelling that got me, a simple search on the QVC site gives the correct spelling. I do think he's missing a 'h' from the typical Irish spelling, also two accents! I think it should be Míceál (í being 'ee' and á being 'aw' which would give Meehawl if he had his missing h).

Now that I'm in Oz I get called Treeeeeeeeeeeeeees all the time (I'm Thérèse), it's marvelous ; )

Blimey, you're expecting a bit much. He is foreign, has a foreign name and so he should expect a few spelling and pronunciation glitches outside of Ireland. I don't speak irish and i don't know anyone in the UK who does (apart from irish ex-pats of course). MY surname is russian and I don't expect anyone beyond Russia to (a) pronounce it properly or (b) spell it correctly - in it's proper cyrillic script, with the associated cyrillic punctuation, or in it's spelling when the name is transcribed into the roman alphabet. It's a nice bonus if someone does get it right but I certainly don't get uptight about it.

Linda xx

Latest posts

Back